Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom just started his first game of the season in the SHL. Starkbaum the starter got hit in the last game pretty badly but finished the game, but has not been able to get healthy in time.

2 minutes in but my stream just conked out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know the goalie threads don't get talked on much but thanks Appleyard and the rest who keep giving us updates.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom allowed one with 11 seconds left in the 2nd period.

Not too much he could do really, bad D meant the trailer slipped through and got a pass at point blank range in-between the circles and the crease and sniped it glove side.

18 Shots against, 1 goal allowed through two periods.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom wins his first ever SHL start. Final score 2-1.

He faced 23 shots and stopped 22 for a .957 sv% on the game.

His rebound control and positioning seem to have come on leaps and bounds since last season... though ofc a very small sample size.

thumb_940.jpg

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Great result for the kid.

How rare is it for an 18 year old goalie to play as a backup in the SHL?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great result for the kid.

How rare is it for an 18 year old goalie to play as a backup in the SHL?

As a full-time backup for a full year? Rare. A few games, ie ~5 or so, not too uncommon.

Since 2000 season after first draft eligible year, 10+ games:

Jacob Markstrom: 35GP, split-starter.
Anton Forsberg: 14GP, backup.

If you go further, and refine it to guys who were born in the January or later, (Sandstrom is 12th of January) there are seemingly only 5 goalies in SHL history who played 10 or more games in a season at that age or younger.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If we look at the last five drafts before this of Swedish drafted goalies and the year after 1st draft eligible:

Anton Forsberg: 14 SHL games
Jonas Johansson: 4 SHL games
Marcus Hogberg: 4 SHL games
Linus Ullmark: 3 SHL games
Niklas Lundstrom: 2 SHL games
Fredrik Bergvik: 1 SHL games
Linus Soderstrom: 0 SHL games
Hugo Fagerblom: 0 SHL games
Oscar Dansk: 0 SHL games (went to CHL, would have played a few otherwise)
Magnus Hellberg: 0 SHL games
Johan Mattsson: 0 SHL games
Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel: 0 SHL games
Johan Gustafsson: 0 SHL games

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Brynas sporting director before the game also said they feel fine with Sandstrom in net, and that they would not be bringing in another goalie on loan or recall Johansson.

What Sandstroms coach said after the game (or close too it!):

'We know what he can do. Felix is ​​a giant talent. He has good size, and is a modern goalkeeper with the mentality to aspire to be a great goalie.'

He is also definitely starting on Saturday, as Starkbaum will not be ready for then, and has a chance of starting next Thursday as well as they are unsure if Starkbaum will be back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom had a quiet first period. Only 5 shots against though looked comfortable in net.

Probably should have a GA though tbh, opposition forward fired into side netting on a scrambled play with a gaping net... tough angle but Sandstrom would have had a hard time getting to it if it was 2 inches to the right... his own Dman had checked a forward half into him on the left side of his crease and the puck popped out to the right side from his perspective while still a bit tangled up.

Quiet 2nd period as well. Stopped all 7 he faced.

12 shots all saved through 2 periods.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom had a solid game again.

Only faced 20 shots, stopped 19 of them. None too tricky but one or two that were real scoring chances. Brynas have played pretty well in front of him in his two starts.

The goal he allowed was more due to experience than ability or technique.

On the PP a guy went behind the net, Sandstrom followed him and when the guy stopped right behind Sandstrom he had already shifted over to his left post, the player quickly reversed the puck to the guy stood just near the right post who slammed it home.

Overall though he tracked the puck well, while being sound positionally and directing all rebounds to corners. In his two starts has played a very un-flustered 'pro' game... you would not think he was 18 from these two performances. Last year the ability seemed obvious but he was no-where near this polished in his limited appearances.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
Sandstrom had a solid game again.

Only faced 20 shots, stopped 19 of them. None too tricky but one or two that were real scoring chances. Brynas have played pretty well in front of him in his two starts.

The goal he allowed was more due to experience than ability or technique.

On the PP a guy went behind the net, Sandstrom followed him and when the guy stopped right behind Sandstrom he had already shifted over to his left post, the player quickly reversed the puck to the guy stood just near the right post who slammed it home.

Overall though he tracked the puck well, while being sound positionally and directing all rebounds to corners. In his two starts has played a very un-flustered 'pro' game... you would not think he was 18 from these two performances. Last year the ability seemed obvious but he was no-where near this polished in his limited appearances.
Did he win?

Edit: Nvm, I see they won 3-1. Awesome.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
SHL regular season career so far:

4 GP: 0.957 sv%

All SHL games

5 GP: 0.947 sv%

Small sample, as in those games he has played a combined 195:15 in TOI, but still very nice.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Anton Rodin is impressive!

That Westerholm (spelling) goal was a beauty too.

Yeah, at some point I think Rodin gets another shot in North America. He is only 24, captain of Brynas and has ok defensive play and does not mind going to dirty areas.

Since coming back from his last failed AHL venture he has gone from strength to strength.

He would probably have to be a 2nd liner in the NHL though or not make it, though maybe the 3rd could be possible with his speed and tenacity.

Holds onto the puck too much at times though and has a one track mind as well sometimes.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Just want to pop by and say that I'm really impressed by Sandström so far, he acts like he's a veteran, calm and methodical. Flyers has a gem in him!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So with Stolie, Sandstrom, and Tomek (and that Russian they got whose name escapes me ATM), at what point do the Flyers make a move/give up on one of the guys? Stolarz is 21 and has looked good in what I have seen. First year on a bad AHL team and he put up some weak numbers, but I think that is to be expected to a certain degree. I imagine he'll be starting this year in LHV on what should be an improved team. Sandstrom and Tomek are still years away it would seem, but at some point there is going to be a difficult decision to make involving Mason, Stolie, and the rest. Ideally Stolie is the backup next season in the NHL, then takes the reigns as starter the following year when Mason leaves. By that point I would imagine Sandstrom and/or Tomek would be in the AHL. Could be looking at a Bishop/Vasilevski situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad