• Edm in 7

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You kidding right now?

Jost was a liability in the playoffs in every run except for one.

And YES, Aube-Kubel is better.
You could've said the same thing about Compher and look what he did this playoffs. NAK literally has 0 point and he played in every game but two.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You could've said the same thing about Compher and look what he did this playoffs. NAK literally has 0 point and he played in every game but two.

NAK has at least contributed to his line usually winning possession battles while not conceding many goals at 5v5. On a team with a high end top 6 and elite defense that's pretty much all you need to have a good chance at winning... Contrastringly Jost was a negative possession player except for the string of games where Nichuskin carried him, and his lines regularly got caved in the playoffs to the point that it was a problem and offset how good the top 6 and defense are/were.

Reactions: MacKaRant and MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'll agree with everyone on the NAK vs Jost comparisons. Remember how Jost would always lose the puck along the boards? Well NAK actually survives contact and wins board battles. Neither score much, but NAK brings so much more and with his sneaky skill could provide a key play at just the right moment.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh no, we're not doin' this again, the old "THIS TIME Jost is gonna turn the corner!" argument that never seems to die. No. Not again. Compher was always a better scorer than Jost.

Jost doesn't have the speed, size, or skill to be an impactful player. Compher at least has the speed and an ability to crash the net.

And one thing people keep forgetting about Jost, good a guy as he is, he didn't provide any energy whatsoever. At least with NAK he's laying down hits every chance he gets. And the puck tends to stay in the right end of the ice when he's on, at least as far as I can tell, certainly better than Jost in the defensive end.

And lastly, I've not been a fan at all of Sturm's play in the postseason, but dude is still winning faceoffs on occasion. Jost? Never. Gets beat clean every time.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Oh no, we're not doin' this again, the old "THIS TIME Jost is gonna turn the corner!" argument that never seems to die. No. Not again. Compher was always a better scorer than Jost.

Jost doesn't have the speed, size, or skill to be an impactful player. Compher at least has the speed and an ability to crash the net.

And one thing people keep forgetting about Jost, good a guy as he is, he didn't provide any energy whatsoever. At least with NAK he's laying down hits every chance he gets. And the puck tends to stay in the right end of the ice when he's on, at least as far as I can tell, certainly better than Jost in the defensive end.

And lastly, I've not been a fan at all of Sturm's play in the postseason, but dude is still winning faceoffs on occasion. Jost? Never. Gets beat clean every time.
Hopefully NAK remains healthy and stays away from taking dumb penalties in the SCF.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Eh not going to argue he’s some great player. Just saying it wouldn’t have mattered if he was on the third line instead of NAK.

Just sucks for him he’s gone right before the team finally found some success. Does he still get his name on the cup since he played more than 41 games?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I feel the need to say again that Tyson Jost is by all accounts an outstanding human being and I understand why the Avalanche gave him every conceivable chance to snag a role on the roster, even though they waited around way longer than they should have. He did everything that was asked of him and worked hard on and off the ice to get where he is. Unfortunately his skating is at a level that he'll always just be a marginal 4th line player at best.

I am not missing him one bit in these playoffs.

Eh not going to argue he’s some great player. Just saying it wouldn’t have mattered if he was on the third line instead of NAK.

Just sucks for him he’s gone right before the team finally found some success. Does he still get his name on the cup since he played more than 41 games?

Oh yes it would have, because it mattered in the playoffs prior to this. He got run over in the postseason the last two years. Say what you will about Aube-Kubel, but that doesn't happen with him.

The speed and relentless forechecking the fourth line is currently providing would not be possible if Jost were still around.

I don't think he gets his name on the Cup because you also have to play in a playoff game. I believe the Avalanche can petition to get his name on there but I don't think they will. Frankly I don't think they should either. He was absolutely horrendous this season and it was clear he wanted out.

Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I feel the need to say again that Tyson Jost is by all accounts an outstanding human being and I understand why the Avalanche gave him every conceivable chance to snag a role on the roster, even though they waited around way longer than they should have. He did everything that was asked of him and worked hard on and off the ice to get where he is. Unfortunately his skating is at a level that he'll always just be a marginal 4th line player at best.

I am not missing him one bit in these playoffs.

Oh yes it would have, because it mattered in the playoffs prior to this. He got run over in the postseason the last two years. Say what you will about Aube-Kubel, but that doesn't happen with him.

The speed and relentless forechecking the fourth line is currently providing would not be possible if Jost were still around.

I don't think he gets his name on the Cup because you also have to play in a playoff game. I believe the Avalanche can petition to get his name on there but I don't think they will. Frankly I don't think they should either. He was absolutely horrendous this season and it was clear he wanted out.
I was a big Jost supporter for a long time but that ship sailed long ago. No need to revisit his strengths as a decent person and great teammate as well as his flaws as a player.

Avs are in a much better place now. That's all that matters.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It absolutely matters. You can't just stick some scrub hardly-an-NHL-player on your 3rd line and say "well it doesn't really matter."

Tyson Jost was barely hanging on to the Avs 4th line, and probably should have been a healthy scratch every single game this year for us. He was that bad. Yet you think him playing 12/13 minutes on the 3rd line losing every board battle, every faceoff, every race to a loose puck, getting bodied, etc would have been fine?

Thank god Jost is off this team.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Keeping off the PK will be vital for the Avs.
I remember saying it in a couple of different threads.

You can absolutely see that the entire team has taken the mantra to not get involved in post whistle stuff. The Avs completely skate away from almost every potential scrum that has existed.

It’s like they’ve determined they’re way too good for it, and that getting into scrums helps them in no way. And I can’t disagree. It’s kept them extremely disciplined, cool tempered. And it’s hard for the other team when the players aren’t engaging with you when you’re trying to.

The best example I can think of is Manson completely skating away from Kane after the extra shots he gave him. A guy like Manson, nicknamed Manimal, ignoring Kane in that moment. Couldn’t be a more crystal clear example.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It absolutely matters. You can't just stick some scrub hardly-an-NHL-player on your 3rd line and say "well it doesn't really matter."

Tyson Jost was barely hanging on to the Avs 4th line, and probably should have been a healthy scratch every single game this year for us. He was that bad. Yet you think him playing 12/13 minutes on the 3rd line losing every board battle, every faceoff, every race to a loose puck, getting bodied, etc would have been fine?

Thank god Jost is off this team.
And Zero Summing it, the Wild could have got a PEB type for $1M and have that extra million to try to retain Fiala.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Watching a few of the games from the Blues series.....The Avs should be having face off and PK drills during this time.

Also, alot of the Avs issues are self inflicted. Bad passing in their end, inability to clear the zone with time and space, standing around poking at pucks etc. They are otherwise flawless its kind of amazing to watch some of the stuff they do.

I remember saying it in a couple of different threads.

You can absolutely see that the entire team has taken the mantra to not get involved in post whistle stuff. The Avs completely skate away from almost every potential scrum that has existed.

It’s like they’ve determined they’re way too good for it, and that getting into scrums helps them in no way. And I can’t disagree. It’s kept them extremely disciplined, cool tempered. And it’s hard for the other team when the players aren’t engaging with you when you’re trying to.

The best example I can think of is Manson completely skating away from Kane after the extra shots he gave him. A guy like Manson, nicknamed Manimal, ignoring Kane in that moment. Couldn’t be a more crystal clear example.
Manson went over to Kassian and gave him a nice chop after a whistle in one of the games but didnt really engage beyond that. Looked like he said Kassian was a waste of his time and then went to the bench.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
290FF350-109C-4E59-8217-AB27DF4CC410.jpeg

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Is it true that if the Avs do the thing that Jost will get his name engraved because he played half the season for the Avs?
He's technically eligible, but I'd put the odds at under 1% it would happen. It's up to the team and it would be highly unusual to put a player that was traded on there. Jack Johnson was traded from LA to Columbus in 2012 after playing 61 games for LA and his name is not on the cup for that LA winning team.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Watching a few of the games from the Blues series.....The Avs should be having face off and PK drills during this time.

Also, alot of the Avs issues are self inflicted. Bad passing in their end, inability to clear the zone with time and space, standing around poking at pucks etc. They are otherwise flawless its kind of amazing to watch some of the stuff they do.

Manson went over to Kassian and gave him a nice chop after a whistle in one of the games but didnt really engage beyond that. Looked like he said Kassian was a waste of his time and then went to the bench.

Colorado needs to learn how not to ice the puck. It was horrendous to watch Vs Oilers. Every time just ice it.. you don't have to ice it. Small chip to middle is enough. We suck at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad