Series Talk: Round 2- Vegas Golden Knights

Who will win?

• Total voters

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Just wondering what do people get out of parading in here and saying we are going to lose? Not even a here's why, just a we all suck and we are going to get killed.

Is there some sort of therapy in this? Man I'd absolutely hate sports if all I did was expect to lose and feel bad about my team.

Do you need a why? Or did you think the team played well in Vegas for game 3/4?

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Be as dialed in as you want on the walk to the plane. Until they prove they can sustain wave after wave of Vegas pressure in Vegas and actually push back, I'm sticking with my prediction of Vegas in 6.
Oooh, look at ugly Mark Stone. He's not as "dreamy" as Capt. Avalanche, but he rifled home the OT winner last game, and he's smart enough to not throw stupid cross ice passes around that get picked off and turned into game killing goals against. Oooh...that hairdo!!!

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The funniest thing was hearing his former teammates talk about his temper. Matthew Barnaby told a story when he was on TSN about Forsberg sitting next to him on the bench between shifts telling him that on his next shift he was going to run someone over. Barnaby told him he didnt have to do that and that was his job. Forsberg responds, "Watch me"
What a helluva player he was. Impossible to knock off the puck, fabulous playmaker, and best of all--he punished opponents. Dude was a frickin' warrior. Switch out MacKinnon for prime Forsberg in this series, and the Knights would already be on the golf course.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
JNot even a here's why.

Please go to the game-day-thread. There you can find plenty of "Why´s".

The overhelming majority in here stayed the course after a poor Game 3 (and even a lucky win in game 2), they stayed positive after even an ass-whooping in game 4, but the stupidity shown again in Game 5 just broke the camels back. This team and coach not willing to adapt anything in Game 3 and 4, the leaders going on holiday for 4 games now, thats "why".

I wouldn´t call it parading, but we all saw Game 3 and 4 in Vegas. And many are just realistic at this point. And this team playing 2 Games without making a ton of dumb mistakes and things seems not realistic.

Although anything can happen. It´s up to this team to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: katfude

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Vegas seems to be sending 2+ guys at Mack every time he has the puck, and then tries to skate through them. He's not using his linemates, IMO. If there's 2 guys (and in some instances more) covering him, then someone has to be open. I can't imagine this is the 1st time he's seen this type of coverage.

Reactions: Nihiliste

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Avs will win game 6 5-1. Then Kadri will come back in game 7, have a Gordie Howe hattrick... check March right in the head leading to Vegas having a 5 minute PP. Where they tie the game to take it to OT. Where G feeds Graves for the goal of the year as G dekes through all 5 Knights and Graves shoots through Fleury (literally) to win the game.

giphy.gif

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Listen to Lauren everyone.

I am kind of curious the power of positivity and if we were able to get everyone unanimously on this board to stop posting negative things, if that would work!! Gonna be hard with @Quarrth and to mocking, and lesser extent... @The Kingslayer :sarcasm:

Really grasping at straws here, I know. :help:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I am kind of curious the power of positivity and if we were able to get everyone unanimously on this board to stop posting negative things, if that would work!! Gonna be hard with @Quarrth and to mocking, and lesser extent... @The Kingslayer :sarcasm:

Really grasping at straws here, I know. :help:
Im positive for tonight. I don't believe the outcome will be positive but im going to try to enjoy watching them because it might be the last time until October.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Vegas seems to be sending 2+ guys at Mack every time he has the puck, and then tries to skate through them. He's not using his linemates, IMO. If there's 2 guys (and in some instances more) covering him, then someone has to be open. I can't imagine this is the 1st time he's seen this type of coverage.

Well, this isn't the first time a team would be adopting the strategy of "Let's put all our efforts into stopping the top player/line, and let the chips fall where they may".

Because the Avs 2nd line isn't scaring anyone - Bura has been pretty useless (obviously, Kadri as well).

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Okay Second Goal - Landeskog. VERY bad pass. He has tons of time and space to put it for Graves to skate into. Why he put it so far behind him, man I dunno. Could Graves have turned his body and received it? Not sure, but I'd wager he couldn't so he gets a pass here.

Landeskog and Girard on a 3on2. What are they doing? Girard engages the VGK forward without the puck, then leaves him, then doesn't block the pass. Landeskog back-checks and takes the third guy, but then also switches to the puck carrier and really does nothing either. Just.. ugly defense. Not every 3on2 is an instant goal, but it is on us because of the way we panic defend.
To me the biggest issue is the fact the pass was made in the first place and that Graves of all people was pinching into the play in the third period with a 2-0 lead. You have to be smarter on both sides. No I don't want to see them turtle for sure but this was just dumb. Press yes but you don't make risky plays up 2-0 in the third that could lead to odd man chances the other way. No excuse that pass should have went forward or been a shot on net.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Please go to the game-day-thread. There you can find plenty of "Why´s".

The overhelming majority in here stayed the course after a poor Game 3 (and even a lucky win in game 2), they stayed positive after even an ass-whooping in game 4, but the stupidity shown again in Game 5 just broke the camels back. This team and coach not willing to adapt anything in Game 3 and 4, the leaders going on holiday for 4 games now, thats "why".

I wouldn´t call it parading, but we all saw Game 3 and 4 in Vegas. And many are just realistic at this point. And this team playing 2 Games without making a ton of dumb mistakes and things seems not realistic.

Although anything can happen. It´s up to this team to prove everyone wrong.

Yes the team needs to prove itself, but frankly I'm just asking in general here do people feel its therapeutic to say their team is crap and is going to get killed? That's all. Maybe you believe it, but if you do why do you watch the games? I have to think you don't really believe it, you just think you get some personal kick out of doing it.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Yes the team needs to prove itself, but frankly I'm just asking in general here do people feel its therapeutic to say their team is crap and is going to get killed? That's all. Maybe you believe it, but if you do why do you watch the games? I have to think you don't really believe it, you just think you get some personal kick out of doing it.

It's a forum to post what people's thoughts are. My thought, after watching the Avs look like they had never played hockey before the last time they were in Vegas, is that they're going to get embarrassed once again tonight. I've seen nothing to show me otherwise.

Do I want them to win? Yes. Would that be a shock to me? Yes.

Go Avs Go!

Reactions: katfude

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Went as expected, close series but Vegas was a bit better. Losing 4 in a row shouldn't happen though.

I am less mad at the team than others because this was basically the finals, but I am damn disappointed still.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Vegas won this one clean, they were just the better team when it mattered. They didn't out-goon us or anything, they just f***ing beat us into submission.

I think the blame for this lies firmly on Bednar. After game 1 he was thoroughly neutralized and failed to adapt. Every passing lane, every shot, every zone exit, Vegas knew where we were going to put it and was right on top of us. This series might cost him his job, and frankly I think it might be time to move on. He just won't get us to the promised land even with the loaded roster we had.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We really should have had at least one of the last two. That just sucks. You play like that every night, and you'll win more than you lose. We just backed ourselves into a corner with the dogshit games 3 and 4. Left ourselves no margin for error. Sucks.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Very tough pill to swallow. Vegas was probably one of the only teams that was going to knock the Avalanche out, but it's disappointing the way it went down.

No big epiphanies here, but my thoughts...

• Brutal series by Burakovsky, Girard, and Landeskog. Burakovsky was on pace for 68 points in the shortened regular season, but he was so bad in this series you weren't even expecting him to do anything; it was almost like he wasn't on the team for a few games there. Landeskog had 13 points in 10 games this post-season, but this isn't rotisserie fantasy baseball: 0 goals, 2 assists, -7 in the last 5 games of the series. With Girard, the wheels started coming off early in the series and is just got worse from there; he was a -9 the last four games. Girard played like an $8M defenseman in the regular season, but didn't even live up to his $5M salary in the post-season.
  • The biggest difference in the series to me was each team's second line. Smith (1+3), Karlsson (3+3), and Marchessault (5+2) owned Colorado both offensively and defensively. Saad (4+1) obviously had a great series, and was the only Avalanche player scoring at some points. But he was quickly moved up to the first line to try to get MacKinnon going, which really hurt Colorado's balance. Which brings me to...
  • Bednar. Bad series. Nemeth looked like he was playing with a pool noodle rather than a hockey stick, and Bednar wouldn't take him out. The Landeskog-Compher-Nichushkin line was a bad idea. I'll admit they had a couple good chances in Game 6, but we all knew how things were going to turn out; Compher had one assist in the series, aka the same number as Alex Newhook (who was healthy scratched and playing 5-6 minutes per night) but on talent alone should've been given a crack at center. Also, the Saad-Jost-Nichushkin line was doing really good things. When the Bednar blender happened, Jost ended up with Burakovsky and O'Connor. Moving Saad to the MacKinnon line was robbing Peter to pay Paul, except Saad never really jelled with MacKinnon and Rantanen.
  • The Avs lost the series in Game 3 & 4, no question. But IMO, they were clearly the better team in Games 5 & 6. But due to a combination of bad individual plays and shaky goaltending, here we are. After nearly stealing Game 3, Grubauer cost Colorado Game 6.
  • Kadri. What a Jabroni. This guy was supposed to be the final piece and solve the #2 center woes. After a regular season in which he struggled, I was curious to see if he'd redeem him season with another 10+ goal post-season. Instead what Colorado got was an 8 game suspension. I just don't know how the Avs bring him back. Regardless of how this series shook out, Colorado had to go to war with the best team in the West without it's 2C due to an idiotic play.

Reactions: Grigowski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad