Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Game 5

x4fcECl.png

pain

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mark Stone is a brilliant player, no questions asked and he has all the respect in the world from me.

However, for how good he is, MacKinnon is clearly better and should be blowing him away in the dust. I credit VGK being able to shut him down just like I thought Burns did a good job last year on him as well. Nonetheless, there is no player in the league barring Bergeron, Couturier, or Danault that should be shutting down MacKinnon to this level. I'm sorry, but I suggest a lot of the problems are ones that MacKinnon brought upon himself.
This is where I'm at as well. His level is play is horrific right now. His 5v5 play:

Game 1:
65% Corsi
62% xGF
62% Scoring Chances For
2 Points
6 Shots

Game 2:
56% Corsi
38% xGF
63% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
2 Shots

Game 3:
43% Corsi
19% xGF
32% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
1 Shot

Game 4:
59% Corsi
43% xGF
57% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
3 Shots

Game 5:
59% Corsi
53% xGF
59% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
2 Shots

Something is very wrong with his play right now. Game 5 was better but he's still not shooting enough or finding a way to get those pucks on net. He's got to adapt.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Last year we took Dallas to game 7 OT after going down 3-2, and we did it with half our team injured!

That Dallas team beat Vegas in 5 games in the WCF.

We are going to win this series.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I just rewatched the highlights from Game 5 because I hate myself and man are VGKs goals sad.

First Goal - Obviously huge turnover by Burakovsky, but when really watching it you can't be happy with EITHER Nemeth or Timmins on the play either.

Timmins is skating up ice to jump into the play. Great. The puck is turned over and becomes a 50/50 battle between Bura and the VGK guy and Timmins CONTINUES MOVING FORWARD from like the top of the circle almost to the blueline before he turns around. Yes this happens fast, but if he moves to the slot a second quicker before he is there. Obviously we know what happens in hindsight but it seems like he should have scrambled back into position 1-2 seconds sooner than he did, and those seconds were big. As soon as the turnover happened why didnt he at least slam on the breaks, let alone actually move back into the slot.

Nemeth is also to blame as he just covers NOBODY. Tuch actually comes from Nemeth's position, but Nemeth neither sticks with him, nor blocks the pass that comes, nor engages with the VGK player along the boards. He just stands there. It's possible the Nemeth acquisition is actually going to be the reason we get knocked out.

Okay Second Goal - Landeskog. VERY bad pass. He has tons of time and space to put it for Graves to skate into. Why he put it so far behind him, man I dunno. Could Graves have turned his body and received it? Not sure, but I'd wager he couldn't so he gets a pass here.

Landeskog and Girard on a 3on2. What are they doing? Girard engages the VGK forward without the puck, then leaves him, then doesn't block the pass. Landeskog back-checks and takes the third guy, but then also switches to the puck carrier and really does nothing either. Just.. ugly defense. Not every 3on2 is an instant goal, but it is on us because of the way we panic defend.

The OT goal. This one is entirely on Graves. Holy cow was Makar open. There is a clear passing lane. There are not 1, not 2, but 3 VGK players in Graves shooting lane. Did I mention Makar is open cross ice at the top of the circle? Oh yeah, and there is NOTHING in the passing lane. Lets hammer it! Into the VGK defender #1, passing lane still open... lets go again! I can't believe he's shooting that a SECOND time with an even more collapsed shooting lane and Makar still INCREDIBLY open. Holy. Crap.

I'm not gonna flame Gru. But I mean, Stone was being chased by Mackinnon and Graves. He has no play but to shoot. Why isn't Gru out further so that there is literally no angle to score? He was actually out reasonably far, and yeah it's a great shot, but a save would have been great there.

Damnit.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You can blame Graves for the second goal too. Why is he jumping up into the play? Does he think he will score, or have the speed to get back? On the OT goal he stares at his second shot like its a work of art while wandering over close to Makar and letting Stone have tons of space.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
When all is said and done, I love the Avs. I want to watch them play for as long as I can. If they lose, then let it be something crazy like the 9th overtime of game 7. Yeah, I kinda feel like they are letting this slip through their hands, but I'm going to watch every second I can and just enjoy being a fan of a good team again. Only one team a year can lift the cup and the two best teams met in the second round. As much as I would want to be pissed off about another 2nd round exit...this years circumstances are really f***ed up.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is where I'm at as well. His level is play is horrific right now. His 5v5 play:

Game 1:
65% Corsi
62% xGF
62% Scoring Chances For
2 Points
6 Shots

Game 2:
56% Corsi
38% xGF
63% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
2 Shots

Game 3:
43% Corsi
19% xGF
32% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
1 Shot

Game 4:
59% Corsi
43% xGF
57% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
3 Shots

Game 5:
59% Corsi
53% xGF
59% Scoring Chances For
0 Points
2 Shots

Something is very wrong with his play right now. Game 5 was better but he's still not shooting enough or finding a way to get those pucks on net. He's got to adapt.
Im going to say injury until I hear otherwise. If hes not injured then the post series talk is going to be very very critical of him.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When all is said and done, I love the Avs. I want to watch them play for as long as I can. If they lose, then let it be something crazy like the 9th overtime of game 7. Yeah, I kinda feel like they are letting this slip through their hands, but I'm going to watch every second I can and just enjoy being a fan of a good team again. Only one team a year can lift the cup and the two best teams met in the second round. As much as I would want to be pissed off about another 2nd round exit...this years circumstances are really f***ed up.
yah just try to enjoy it as best you can. Its hard when you know they are capable of so much better. Same with last season. No shame losing to the Knights they are a great team and I hope the Avs learn a thing or two about playoff compete when this series is over.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Im going to say injury until I hear otherwise. If hes not injured then the post series talk is going to be very very critical of him.

I have to agree. It’s really the only explanation I can think of as to why he has been separated from the puck so easily at least the last few games. Then again that’s what NHL playoffs do to you. Most guys on every team are hurt to some degree.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Be as dialed in as you want on the walk to the plane. Until they prove they can sustain wave after wave of Vegas pressure in Vegas and actually push back, I'm sticking with my prediction of Vegas in 6.

This is a real Viking. We all got a hard on when Mackinnon stared down the Knights after Game 1. That was nothing compared to this.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just look at those eyes the first 30 seconds of that clip.

He's sitting in the box ready to go through every single player on the other team as soon as he steps back on the ice if necessary.
The funniest thing was hearing his former teammates talk about his temper. Matthew Barnaby told a story when he was on TSN about Forsberg sitting next to him on the bench between shifts telling him that on his next shift he was going to run someone over. Barnaby told him he didnt have to do that and that was his job. Forsberg responds, "Watch me"

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The funniest thing was hearing his former teammates talk about his temper. Matthew Barnaby told a story when he was on TSN about Forsberg sitting next to him on the bench between shifts telling him that on his next shift he was going to run someone over. Barnaby told him he didnt have to do that and that was his job. Forsberg responds, "Watch me"

Yeah the absolute epitome of "he only knows how to play one way."

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Just wondering what do people get out of parading in here and saying we are going to lose? Not even a here's why, just a we all suck and we are going to get killed.

Is there some sort of therapy in this? Man I'd absolutely hate sports if all I did was expect to lose and feel bad about my team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad