Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People are acting like they reached at pick 6

it’s a complete crapshoot at this point in the draft. If you believe in a guy- take him. The difference/odds of making an impact between a player picked at 58 and 80 is negligible

big kid with some puck skills. Get him in the system and watch him grow into his body, see what happens

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
As much as Bill the GM drives me crazy, at least he is smart enough to trade down before reaching for a player, so he at least picks up 1-2 more picks. Morons like Sweeney and Neely don't even do that.
I’m imagining Sweeney and the boys hi giving calling every other team idiots because they would have taken him at 27 and he dropped all that way

Reactions: LSCII

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
im no draft expert... just spent some money on a few online draft reports this year since I participate in some sim leagues. honestly I had never heard of this guy personally

but my history of picking kids is bad... im not the guy you want to listen to as a scout.

I do know that facts are facts... very few guys chosen at 58 will ever make much impact in the nhl. Christian dvorak and tyler bertruzzi were a couple guys in the past decade but the guys picked at 58 over the last 6 years have a combind total of less than 40 games of nhl experience

if the bruins think this guy can play... its a good pick. most guys picked from this point on will never play

Kucherov was taken 58th...

and a good portion of stars have been taken in the 2nd half of the 2nd round and in the 3rd round, including our own Krejci and Marchand

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
I just can't comprehend how this pick can be made at this position, there were far more players that fit their needs still available. The player that fit what they need most in my opinion at that position went to Ottawa. Egor Sokolov (size, scoring ability and skill). They already have a number of defensemen in the AHL but have limited forwards that can score and with size. Maybe this defenseman will turn into a good player but you can't tell me you couldn't wait until a later round to get him. Just brutal. I can't understand how he just doesn't want to take a player where he's rated. If Sweeney doesn't pull off a miracle trade or sign a player that fills their needs, I just don't see how he can keep his job.
He is brutal. Killing this franchise slowly and arrogantly. And nobody is stepping in to stop the madness. We needed this kid at this spot. It is insanity.....

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

it’s a complete crapshoot at this point in the draft. If you believe in a guy- take him. The difference/odds of making an impact between a player picked at 58 and 80 is negligible

big kid with some puck skills. Get him in the system and watch him grow into his body, see what happens

That's fair.

I just think a lot of people (like me) would rather they at least reached for a forward with similar upside/skill.

Reactions: mt77850 and CDJ

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I know there's controversy bringing up past drafts, but have Sweeney's REACHES ever worked yet?

Under Sweeney's regime, not including undrafted players, do we have players in the system or in the NHL that were not ranked in a high position that the Bruins took early and it has worked out?

Most of the players that Sweeney drafted that are playing at the NHL level actually dropped instead of being reaches.

Anyways, I'm taking a break now. Refreshing these pages and not doing work is probably not good for anyone.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
He is brutal. Killing this franchise slowly and arrogantly. And nobody is stepping in to stop the madness. We needed this kid at this spot. It is insanity.....
For the long-term success of the franchise, Sweeney and Neely need to be kicked to the curb. Time to break up the Old Boys Club before what happened in Edmonton happens here. I sincerely hope that we bring in folks with ZERO connection to the franchise, so we don't get Old Boys Club Part 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII and Dicky113

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Sweeney dumps our draft picks for trash, then with the only puck left he hasn’t wasted he goes way off the board. I think he’s just trolling the fan base at this point. I’m waiting to find out he has been working for Marc Bergevin the whole time.

ffs make him stop for the love of god

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
There's something to be said for trusting your board and not giving a crap what anyone else thinks.

Clearly, Sweeney and company tend to see things differently than the consensus. If it works out and guys like Lohrie and Quinn Olsen turn out to be players, then that's fantastic. If they can't play, then he'll be out of a job.

I'm a big believer in taking the kid you think is the best player available, and figure everything else out later.
if he keeps this up, he’ll be out of. ajob before any pf these prospects even play in the ahl.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

58 and 80? hmmm
Doesn't sound like he was on anyone's elses radar until at least 100+

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Kucherov was taken 58th...

and a good portion of stars have been taken in the 2nd half of the 2nd round and in the 3rd round, including our own Krejci and Marchand

Sure, but not by Sweeney. In fact, he's missed way more than he's hit on in the draft. Way more.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I know there's controversy bringing up past drafts, but have Sweeney's REACHES ever worked yet?

Under Sweeney's regime, not including undrafted players, do we have players in the system or in the NHL that were not ranked in a high position that the Bruins took early and it has worked out?

Most of the players that Sweeney drafted that are playing at the NHL level actually dropped instead of being reaches.

Anyways, I'm taking a break now. Refreshing these pages and not doing work is probably not good for anyone.

Was Heinen a Sweeney pick? Heinen was not on any lists iirc. Snagged him in the 4th.

got Olson pretty early last year, he looks decent so far. We shall see

Basically the reach that hasn’t worked out is Senyshyn. Hopefully he can still make an impact. He looks fine when he’s up in my eyes. Not gonna really go into 2015 lol. Everybody else is moving along in their development as expected imo.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Unbelievable the amount of angst over a late second round pick around there. The vast majority of players taken there no matter how much consensus there was about it being a good spot to take a guy at are not going to play in the NHL in any meaningful way.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
58 and 80? hmmm
Doesn't sound like he was on anyone's elses radar until at least 100+

I’ll change the number to 100 and the point remains the same. Still a crapshoot! The difference in odds of finding an impact guy is negligible

but even then you don’t know teams draft boards...and on top of that- again- it was a strange year for scouts from February on. I guarantee there is a wide variety of opinions with wildly different draft boards from team to team

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
For the long-term success of the franchise, Sweeney and Neely to be kicked to the curb. Time to break up the Old Boys Club before what happened in Edmonton happens here. I sincerely hope that we bring in folks with ZERO connection to the franchise, so we don't get Old Boys Club Part 2.

yup. irony is the one time in 40 years they actually went out and brought in an outsider it led to a Cup, 2 Finals appearances, a Presidents Trophy, 4 division crowns in 6 years and got them the current core that's keeping Donnie's head above water (Pastrnak, Marchand, Krejci, Rask)

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Draft history shows that it is almost even in numbers of players taken in rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and I'll stretch to the 7th. So one can a 3rd or 4th is as good as a 5th or 6th.

Look for yourselves.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Was Heinen a Sweeney pick? Heinen was not on any lists iirc. Snagged him in the 4th.

Basically the reach that hasn’t worked out is Senyshyn. Hopefully he can still make an impact. He looks fine when he’s up in my eyes. Not gonna really go into 2015 lol. Everybody else is moving along in their development as expected imo.

Heinen was Chiarelli

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Heinen was in the 2014 draft, which was the last draft under Chiarelli. Other notable reaches were Frederic, DeBrusk, and Beecher.

Frederic: Viewed as a late 2nd-early 3rd round pick, and Brian Lawton said he talked to 20 teams and none of them had Frederic in their top 50.

DeBrusk: Consensus was that he was a late 1st round pick (25-29 range). Although a "hit," it was a poor/mismanaged pick because Connor/Barzal/Konecny were all viewed at the time as being vastly superior players, and they have all panned out to be superior players 5 years later.

Beecher: Was viewed as a mid 2nd round pick and has limited offensive upside. Although it has only been one year, he didn't exactly have a season that blew people away, whereas Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev, who were viewed as superior players which greater offensive upside at the time of the draft, had much better seasons.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Man I really wanted Hirvonen and Leafs took him... At 59.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Heinen was in the 2014 draft, which was the last draft under Chiarelli. Other notable reaches were Frederic, DeBrusk, and Beecher.

Frederic: Viewed as a late 2nd-early 3rd round pick, and Brian Lawton said he talked to 20 teams and none of them had Frederic in their top 50.

DeBrusk: Consensus was that he was a late 1st round pick (25-29 range). Although a "hit," it was a poor/mismanaged pick because Connor/Barzal/Konecny were all viewed at the time as being vastly superior players, and they have all panned out to be superior players 5 years later.

Beecher: Was viewed as a mid 2nd round pick and has limited offensive upside. Although it has only been one year, he didn't exactly have a season that blew people away, whereas Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev, who were viewed as superior players which greater offensive upside at the time of the draft, had much better seasons.

thank you for the Heinen insight

Frederic then ended up blowing the doors off Wisconsin as a freshman and has been developing more or less as expected

Debrusk is a legitimate 20+ goal winger in the NHL

And Beecher played at a shitty program and was towards the top of his team in scoring as a freshman and got pretty good reviews. Way too far out to say if it was a good pick or not.

and at this point in the draft it’s legitimately a total crapshoot. And now people are bitching about pick 88. It’s ridiculous

Reactions: Ritmo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad