Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
gamblers-lohrei.jpg

Mason Lohrei at eliteprospects.com

EjvlNYpXsAEA7J2

Last edited:

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I can't be too outraged about this pick in particular since I obviously first heard his name 5 minutes ago for the first time. That said, going systematically way off the board every year should raise some questions. Either you are right and everybody else is missing something, or you are very wrong. Right now the evidence doesn't look very convincing for Sweeney.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Where Lohrei stood out was as a puck-carrier. His puck skills in small are situations stuck out as a distinct positive in a few instances, particularly for someone of his stature. He's got a snappy wrist shot, with good form and an ability to generate a lot of power with very little movement, suggestive of a really strong upper-body. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Reactions: Alicat

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I can't be too outraged about this pick in particular since I obviously first heard his name 5 minutes ago for the first time. That said, going systematically way of the board every year should raise some questions. Either you are right and everybody else is missing something, or you are very wrong. Right now the evidence doesn't look very convincing for Sweeney.

It should raise questions on the whole scouting department.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They mentioned Jamie Langenbrunner having his hands on this pick. He was responsible in getting Connor Clifton to sign in Boston so I trust his judgement

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
here is what nhl draft report has to say... its actually quite positive

Scouting Report
A smothering two-way defenseman who served as the focal point of Green Bay’s defense, Lohrei is a Culver Academy product who excelled in his first full USHL season. Bound for The Ohio State University, Lohrei plays like a seasoned veteran with ice water in his veins. He is incredibly poised with the puck, but he also knows how to exploit the aggressiveness of checkers.

While most young defensemen look to get rid of the puck at the first sign of pressure, Lohrei seems quite comfortable in not only handling the puck, but luring opponents towards him for the sole purpose of drawing them out of position. He does this by maintaining a high panic threshold that allows him to delay with the puck just long enough for a subtle chip or bank pass to spring his mates in an odd-man situation.

Beating back a forecheck is more science than art, and Lohrei executes them at a doctorate level. Passing the puck with precision seems to come naturally for Lohrei, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that he tied for the USHL lead among defensemen with 27 assists. On defense, Lohrei is a stopper, plain and simple. He holds firmly at the line and executes timely stick-on-puck checks, but his thick frame and strong lower body allow him to absorb the full weight of an onrushing puck carrier at top speed. He easily played over 20 minutes a game and was used in all specialteams situations.

Naturally, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound defender is not going to win any skating competitions. But Lohrei is quite mobile and uses a long, powerful stride to outpace pressure.

Reactions: Over the volcano

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know less about this kid than possibly anyone who will read this.

With that being said, if I were Sweeney --- I think I'd have read the room a little differently and not drafted a big, but soft defenseman as the first significant order of business this off season.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Just here to say, let's give this dude a chance before we all inevitably jump to conclusions. Fact is none of us have likely seen this kid play a second of hockey.

I agree about the player.

But the rest of the NHL has scouted him and only the Bruins would take him an over-ager 100 slots over his rating. Man, this has to stop...

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I dunno. I hope there's something they really can't miss with this kid. Not sure why they're reaching so far.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It seems like at best they took a guy who is a 4-5 year project that no body had close to the 2nd round.

I hope he ends up being a stud, but it’s crazy how many times we watch this draft and hear the panelists say it was a reach, or scouting sites have them ranked 2-3 rounds lower than they are.

You can’t tell me we couldn’t have had this guy in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->