Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I can't pretend to know enough to judge the player, but I'm pretty sick of Sweeney's obsession with picking players way ahead of their ranking. Did they really think they couldn't get this kid at 89 and make a more exciting pick at 58?

The Bruins still lack high-end forward skill in the system IMO. Too many kids who project as middle 6ers.

Reactions: Bodit9 and maxl7

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What also needs to be factored in is how weird of a year it is. Scouting since February was probably different than in other years. We are gonna see some unusual stuff in the NBA draft too

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
There's something to be said for trusting your board and not giving a crap what anyone else thinks.

Clearly, Sweeney and company tend to see things differently than the consensus. If it works out and guys like Lohrie and Quinn Olsen turn out to be players, then that's fantastic. If they can't play, then he'll be out of a job.

I can understand if they liked him... but that high? And with a pipeline already filled with top draft picks that are LD who are still young?
I'm a big believer in taking the kid you think is the best player available, and figure everything else out later.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
There's something to be said for trusting your board and not giving a crap what anyone else thinks.

Clearly, Sweeney and company tend to see things differently than the consensus. If it works out and guys like Lohrie and Quinn Olsen turn out to be players, then that's fantastic. If they can't play, then he'll be out of a job.

I'm a big believer in taking the kid you think is the best player available, and figure everything else out later.

I’m quickly starting to hope both happen.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I have time for people who want to make cases for appealing to authority with Hockey Guys going off the board to get "their guy". Like Jarmo with CBJ. They've reached a few times over the past few years and have actually come away with players. Sweeney has gone off the board every year since 2015 and has not yet earned the benefit of the doubt. Not when the org is STILL struggling to integrate their reaches into the lineup in Boston.

Reactions: Estlin and Bodit9

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
the Sweeney special

the analysts probably hate when the Bruins have a pick coming up
Was hilarious watching them just go "i have no fn clue" and went back to talking about how tall of a center the guy was.

Reactions: Bodit9

mt77850

Jul 13, 2004
Waltham, MA
I just can't comprehend how this pick can be made at this position, there were far more players that fit their needs still available. The player that fit what they need most in my opinion at that position went to Ottawa. Egor Sokolov (size, scoring ability and skill). They already have a number of defensemen in the AHL but have limited forwards that can score and with size. Maybe this defenseman will turn into a good player but you can't tell me you couldn't wait until a later round to get him. Just brutal. I can't understand how he just doesn't want to take a player where he's rated. If Sweeney doesn't pull off a miracle trade or sign a player that fills their needs, I just don't see how he can keep his job.

Reactions: BMC

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Sweeney been hanging around the Pats front office too much.

I don’t know anything about the kid, same as 99.9% of Bs fans. Obviously tough to get up for a reach but I’ll give him a chance like any other prospect. They have been pretty good with defensemen so it gives me hope.

I don’t remember if Carlo, Vaak, Zboril were considered reaches at the time. Would give me some more faith if so

As much as Bill the GM drives me crazy, at least he is smart enough to trade down before reaching for a player, so he at least picks up 1-2 more picks. Morons like Sweeney and Neely don't even do that.

Reactions: Bodit9

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Serious question, why do we do this? Why do we reach like this half of the times instead of taking best available?

If the kid is going to be there 100 picks later, why not trade down to get an additional asset like so many other teams do?
Because Sweeney, Neely, and the scouts are morons who have refused to learn from their failures and continue to mismanage their draft picks. They haven't learned their lesson, and continue to think they're the smartest guys in the room, when nearly every time they've been the dumbest people in the room. Their history of reaches doesn't look great, and the one "hit" (DeBrusk) wasn't even remotely close to being the best player on the board. It has only been one year, but the Beecher pick doesn't exactly look exciting, especially relative to Brink and Kaliyev, and he was picked about 10 slots too early.

Last edited:

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Thing with reaching is if a organization really believes in a player they're right to take them even if it's considered early to others. The Bruins track record with these players is not the best though and when it becomes a annual thing come draft time people get annoyed about it, am i wrong in saying DeBrusk is the only one to make any sort of impact so far since Sweeney took over?

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Thing with reaching is if a organization really believes in a player they're right to take them even if it's considered early to others. The Bruins track record with these players is not the best though, am i wrong in saying DeBrusk is the only one to make any sort of impact so far since Sweeney took over?
As far as reaches in the first 2 rounds or so, I believe you're correct. And even JD was a mismanaged pick who never should've been selected with our 3 picks, as he was inferior AT THE TIME and 5 years later, to several players who went after him.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Gamblers ... I get it. Oh wait, that's the name of the team the kid played for.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

I'm a big believer in picking your top guys from the consensus top 60 or so and then going off the board from rounds 3-7. It's a big crapshoot after the 1st 2 rounds.

Reactions: sarge88

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Sooo this helps us if we’re lucky in 5 to 6 years could we have not traded this pick to help needs sooner into the future..

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
The draft at this point is in the 3rd round so far 10 Ds have been taken in this round.

Minutes later and the D count is 13-7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad