Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Like I said in the regular draft thread, this is like picking a project similar to Dustyn McFaul this early. You like the player and his read up (what you can find) but f***ing awful because of how early he went. And it’s a position we have guys at.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Yet again an instance where it sounds as if Sweenius could’ve traded down....

Anyways, I hope for the best for this kid. As someone else said above it’s not his fault he was picked here. And hopefully he turns out to be something.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Like I said in the regular draft thread, this is like picking a project similar to Dustyn McFaul this early. You like the player and his read up (what you can find) but f***ing awful because of how early he went. And it’s a position we have guys at.

Forgot about McFaul. Another left side dman. Plus he has an unfortunate, built in nickname if he sucks.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Does anyone want to tell Don that it's okay to draft someone on the right side? Or Nah?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
here is what nhl draft report has to say... its actually quite positive

Scouting Report
A smothering two-way defenseman who served as the focal point of Green Bay’s defense, Lohrei is a Culver Academy product who excelled in his first full USHL season. Bound for The Ohio State University, Lohrei plays like a seasoned veteran with ice water in his veins. He is incredibly poised with the puck, but he also knows how to exploit the aggressiveness of checkers.

While most young defensemen look to get rid of the puck at the first sign of pressure, Lohrei seems quite comfortable in not only handling the puck, but luring opponents towards him for the sole purpose of drawing them out of position. He does this by maintaining a high panic threshold that allows him to delay with the puck just long enough for a subtle chip or bank pass to spring his mates in an odd-man situation.

Beating back a forecheck is more science than art, and Lohrei executes them at a doctorate level. Passing the puck with precision seems to come naturally for Lohrei, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that he tied for the USHL lead among defensemen with 27 assists. On defense, Lohrei is a stopper, plain and simple. He holds firmly at the line and executes timely stick-on-puck checks, but his thick frame and strong lower body allow him to absorb the full weight of an onrushing puck carrier at top speed. He easily played over 20 minutes a game and was used in all specialteams situations.

Naturally, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound defender is not going to win any skating competitions. But Lohrei is quite mobile and uses a long, powerful stride to outpace pressure.

How old is his competition?

Reactions: Baddkarma

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How long until we hear which team was going to draft this guy before the Bruins next pick came around and that they just had to make this pick at #58? Poor asset management at best. Awful pick at worst.

A Swedish tier 3 league was probably considering signing him as an undrafted free agent.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How old is his competition?

im no draft expert... just spent some money on a few online draft reports this year since I participate in some sim leagues. honestly I had never heard of this guy personally

but my history of picking kids is bad... im not the guy you want to listen to as a scout.

I do know that facts are facts... very few guys chosen at 58 will ever make much impact in the nhl. Christian dvorak and tyler bertruzzi were a couple guys in the past decade but the guys picked at 58 over the last 6 years have a combind total of less than 40 games of nhl experience

if the bruins think this guy can play... its a good pick. most guys picked from this point on will never play

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Sweeney been hanging around the Pats front office too much.

I don’t know anything about the kid, same as 99.9% of Bs fans. Obviously tough to get up for a reach but I’ll give him a chance like any other prospect. They have been pretty good with defensemen so it gives me hope.

I don’t remember if Carlo, Vaak, Zboril were considered reaches at the time. Would give me some more faith if so

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
im no draft expert... just spent some money on a few online draft reports this year since I participate in some sim leagues. honestly I had never heard of this guy personally

but my history of picking kids is bad... im not the guy you want to listen to as a scout.

I do know that facts are facts... very few guys chosen at 58 will ever make much impact in the nhl. Christian dvorak and tyler bertruzzi were a couple guys in the past decade but the guys picked at 58 over the last 6 years have a combind total of less than 40 games of nhl experience

if the bruins think this guy can play... its a good pick. most guys picked from this point on will never play
I'm guessing they saw him while watching Jake Schmaltz and dug deeper on him, while most analysts are saying they haven't really seen him or know nothing about him, and zeroed in on a kid who could step in and play sooner than later.

I'd be really curious to see where the bruins had him on the big board,

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

You must give great motivational speeches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad