Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Are we sure? I'm not Don Sweeney. I'm also not in the same stratosphere as @Saxon Eric or @DominicT when it comes to knowing anything about these guys. But there's quite a range between McAvoy and the good Doctor Cross and the situations are also different. But he's a better prospect (I think) than Tommy Cross was, even after his 17th development camp.
Honestly, it's a moot point and I will tell you why.

The Bruins have one contract spot remaining and they will use that to lure a free agent (or at least try hard to) like they did with McLaughlin last year and that means Lohrei can only get an ATO and therefore can't play in Boston. So whether Lohrei will slot in ahead of those guys it is irrelevant. The business side of the game takes precedent. As much as we hate it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

The Bruins have one contract spot remaining and they will use that to lure a free agent (or at least try hard to) like they did with McLaughlin last year and that means Lohrei can only get an ATO and therefore can't play in Boston. So whether Lohrei will slot in ahead of those guys it is irrelevant. The business side of the game takes precedent. As much as we hate it.
the ATO does make him eligible though in Providence correct Dom?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
the ATO does make him eligible though in Providence correct Dom?
Yes.

An ATO is usually for players coming out of the NCAA or Major Junior to play in the AHL once their seasons are done.

A PTO is usually given to an ECHL player when there are injuries on the AHL roster and they need someone to fill in a roster spot. Those come with a 25 game maximum.

A PTO can also be signed by an NHL team at training camp to give a veteran a try. You would get a PTO from an NHL team where as I would get one from an AHL team because I am not good enough at my age.

There are some exceptions to ATO/PTO but that is the general rule of thumb.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes.

An ATO is usually for players coming out of the NCAA or Major Junior to play in the AHL once their seasons are done.

A PTO is usually given to an ECHL player when there are injuries and they need someone to fill in a roster spot. Those come with a 25 game maximum.

A PTO can also be signed by an NHL team at training camp to give a veteran a try. You would get a PTO from an NHL team where as I would get one from an AHL team because I am not good enough at my age.

There are some exceptions to ATO/PTO but that is the general rule of thumb.
great explanation, thanks Dom

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta

Thanks Don, you are a fountain of valuable information!

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
going to need to get up to the speed and strength and the AHL will be a nice jump from college

Needs Adam McQuaid to fine tune him

Lot to like and I expect a top 4 with elite PP ability

I’d like to see some AHL action because it’s a huge jump

Plus Lohrei looks like he’s always playing 4x4
Get ready my friend, for me when he is 26 or so he will be a 65-70 point D man who can defend. I really believe this but what do I know?

Reactions: Kegs

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006

Apart from the contract reality, the B's are already so loaded with defensemen it would be hard to see how they could even begin to give Lohrei a game this season. Could he even fit on the roster unless somebody else was injured? And even if he could, there is no way he could perform at Zboril's level, IMO. He could help run a power play, perhaps, but he needs a lot of AHL work on the defensive end.

Reactions: Alicat

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For me Hamilton that player better D
I would temper your expectations a bit.

Despite his faults, Dougie is one of the most consistently impactful defensemen in the league.

I also think it's legitimate to wonder how much of a learning curve there will be for Lohrei once he gets to the pro game in terms of figuring out what he can and can't do at the highest levels. There will be growing pains.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I want him on an ATO and then you can sign him after the season.

The B's are stacked on D right now and he's not better than any of our depth guys at this point so it isn't worth burning a year on an ELC.

I'd also like to see him go to Dev Camp for some honest feedback and then come into camp to see if he can make the team.

I don't think we see him full time for at least a year. He needs to get acclimated to the pro game and he needs to hit the weight room.

Patience is needed with him.

Reactions: Curls13

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Go back to school finish your education then pick who you want to play for. He has a ways to go to crack the Bruins D line up.

Orlov needs to be on this team in the near future and if we sign this kid my guess is he will not be coming back to Boston.

If he goes back to school trade his rights.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Go back to school finish your education then pick who you want to play for. He has a ways to go to crack the Bruins D line up.

Orlov needs to be on this team in the near future and if we sign this kid my guess is he will not be coming back to Boston.

If he goes back to school trade his rights.
This doesn't make any sense. He's a 22 year old sophomore, and a high level prospect. He could be in the Bruins lineup as soon as next year - and would be even more needed if they traded off key roster pieces to fit Orlov, as he'd be on a ELC for two years. And it's not like the Bruins LD cupboard is stacked with prospects.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

Despite his faults, Dougie is one of the most consistently impactful defensemen in the league.

I also think it's legitimate to wonder how much of a learning curve there will be for Lohrei once he gets to the pro game in terms of figuring out what he can and can't do at the highest levels. There will be growing pains.
Can you elaborate on this point? I'm just curious in what capacity?

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
This doesn't make any sense. He's a 22 year old sophomore, and a high level prospect. He could be in the Bruins lineup as soon as next year - and would be even more needed if they traded off key roster pieces to fit Orlov, as he'd be on a ELC for two years. And it's not like the Bruins LD cupboard is stacked with prospects.
It make total sense and you summed up my reasoning IF they sign Orlov. Are we better with Orlov on our second pair for the next 5 years or hope Lorhei develops quickly into one?

Orlov is a must sign to me. Now that you mentioned he was a sophomore Its a no brainer, go back to school kid and tear it up next season.

Reactions: LavioletteScores

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Watched him live for the first time and was impressed. It was obvious, that game anyway, he could get away with high risk plays and even spend most of his shift down low creating offense if he wanted. I thought that game he was the best player on the ice. No panic and better defensively than I had heard. Like others have mentioned we'll have to see how his game translates to the pro game - personally I hope he gets refined but doesn't change too much.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It make total sense and you summed up my reasoning IF they sign Orlov. Are we better with Orlov on our second pair for the next 5 years or hope Lorhei develops quickly into one?

Orlov is a must sign to me. Now that you mentioned he was a sophomore Its a no brainer, go back to school kid and tear it up next season.
If you sign Orlov, you have traded Grizz and Forbort (and Reilly obviously). So you need a 3LD. And a cheap one at that.

You want him to go back to school, and since he's going back to school, you want the Bruins to trade him. What is the issue with signing him and, at worse, having him play in Providence next season?

Reactions: Curls13 and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

I really like orlov. Would be magical if they found a way. Salary cap will be a massive issue next season tho. We will see what Sweenius pulls off in the off-season.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

it makes zero sense from his potential earnings perspective. Especially after already starting ‘late’.
In the end its’s all about the money.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
If you sign Orlov, you have traded Grizz and Forbort (and Reilly obviously). So you need a 3LD. And a cheap one at that.

You want him to go back to school, and since he's going back to school, you want the Bruins to trade him. What is the issue with signing him and, at worse, having him play in Providence next season?
I was willing to trade he's right if he was a senior and went back.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Totally agree it will take time but a see a guy who keeps getting better and for me the best is yet to come.

Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad