Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Why bother with an ATO? Just give him a contract and let him play 3-4 games in Providence and a couple in Boston at year end. Will at least give him an idea of what he
needs to prepare for.

The Big 10 and NCAA Tourney are for all intents and purposes between the ECHL and AHL. So he has already faced two years of "minor league" hockey.
I definitely agree with the "let him see what being a pro is like" mentality, but three things to consider:

1. The ATO avoids burning a year of the ELC for a handful of meaningless games. He's not Makar coming in to give the Avs a playoff boost in 2019. They are more than set at D for the stretch.

2. The college hockey talent is high, but not higher than the ECHL. That's where a huge number of college players max out. The AHL is much, much tougher than the ECHL.

3. The lengthiest college seasons are 35-40 games. That's less than half a pro season. Most players need at least a year or two to adjust to the grind.

Get him to Providence to experience the end of the pro season and playoffs (and play with his former Buckeye teammate Merkulov). See what he does in camp next year and how the roster shakes out for opportunities. There's no need for him this season.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Why bother with an ATO? Just give him a contract and let him play 3-4 games in Providence and a couple in Boston at year end. Will at least give him an idea of what he
needs to prepare for.

The Big 10 and NCAA Tourney are for all intents and purposes between the ECHL and AHL. So he has already faced two years of "minor league" hockey.

So you’re cool with burning a year off his ELC for a few games in the NHL?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
[/QUOTE]
I definitely agree with the "let him see what being a pro is like" mentality, but three things to consider:

1. The ATO avoids burning a year of the ELC for a handful of meaningless games. He's not Makar coming in to give the Avs a playoff boost in 2019. They are more than set at D for the stretch.

2. The college hockey talent is high, but not higher than the ECHL. That's where a huge number of college players max out. The AHL is much, much tougher than the ECHL.

3. The lengthiest college seasons are 35-40 games. That's less than half a pro season. Most players need at least a year or two to adjust to the grind.

Get him to Providence to experience the end of the pro season and playoffs (and play with his former Buckeye teammate Merkulov). See what he does in camp next year and how the roster shakes out for opportunities. There's no need for him this season.

I did say Big Ten and NCAA Tourney. The Elite talent in the NCAA is better than the talent in the ECHL. That's borne out by how often players move directly from their school to the NHL, AHL or Euro Leagues. Also take a look at the 2022 US Olympic Team and how many players came from the NCAA. Think there was just one active ECHL player on that roster (Strauss Mann).

You put the two best teams from the ECHL into the NCAA Frozen Four and my money is still going on Minnesota and Michigan making the Finals. There isn't anybody in the ECHL better than Hughes and Fantilli or Knies and Farber. I'm not denigrating the ECHL, outside of Cossa in Toledo, it just doesn't have elite talent like UMichigan or UMinnesota.

Last edited:

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I remember a conversation I had after Lohrei’s barn burner season in the USHL.

I saw McQuaid and a few of the other Bs down at the Tall Ships on Eastie, and had a quick convo with him about Lohrei. This was after he got into player development—he was super impressed with the guy.

Glad to see he’s strung together a few great seasons at Ohio and is getting accolades from other coaches. He looks like someone with the potential to tilt the ice, but still has a few warts that might be suited to be worked on in Providence while eating #1 minutes.

I think that’s the path they go down in my opinion, especially with how logjammed we are right now.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
let him burn a year if it'll entice him to sign if there's a risk of him not signing

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Can Lohrei maybe get some NHL games in before people take victory laps?
He's still a prospect Lou - and the takes in this thread when he was drafted so confidently declaring him a bad pick are something else. There are certainly victory laps to be had, since we know several of the most vocal critics aren't going to be coming around for a mea culpa anytime soon.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well, it wouldn't be my first choice - I just don't see burning a year of his ELC as a deal-breaker for me.

They did it with Marc McLaughlin right?

Also what's the incentive for Lohrei to do an ATO? What if he gets injured?

There is also the better possibility he turns into a 2nd pair Dman with McAvoy or Carlo in 2024-25 compared to 2023-24. You sign him now maybe you save cap on his next deal.

Reactions: GatorMike

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He's still a prospect Lou - and the takes in this thread when he was drafted so confidently declaring him a bad pick are something else. There are certainly victory laps to be had, since we know several of the most vocal critics aren't going to be coming around for a mea culpa anytime soon.
Haven’t read it but let me guess. The same members of the fan club that like everything loved it. The same Bruins do nothing right group hated it. Each side is right sometimes and always pat each themselves on back when they are.

let him burn a year if it'll entice him to sign if there's a risk of him not signing
You would think there is no choice since I believe if he goes back next year he can sign w whomever he wants august 2024

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Haven’t read it but let me guess. The same members of the fan club that like everything loved it. The same Bruins do nothing right group hated it. Each side is right sometimes and always pat each themselves on back when they are.

You would think there is no choice since I believe if he goes back next year he can sign w whomever he wants august 2024
Some, but not really.

He would only be a junior next year FYI - so he won't be a FA until 2025.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They did it with Marc McLaughlin right?

Also what's the incentive for Lohrei to do an ATO? What if he gets injured?

There is also the better possibility he turns into a 2nd pair Dman with McAvoy or Carlo in 2024-25 compared to 2023-24. You sign him now maybe you save cap on his next deal.

Well the player signs a 2023 contract. So he is insulated there with a 2 year contract if he gets injured.

What is the incentive for a player to do an ATO then contract.
1) More guaranteed money, as you are getting 2 full seasons of salary, rather than 1, plus a few dollars this year.
2) time to develop at the AHL. Clock is not ticking as quickly.
3) Potentially allows the team to improve

Advantage to player burning year on contract.
1) Betting on themself that they can prove enough in one year to get a salary increase as a RFA before the second full season.
2) Potentially gets a couple NHL games immediately, which is cool

Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

This sums up the majority of threads like this.

Great job Lou

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well the player signs a 2023 contract. So he is insulated there with a 2 year contract if he gets injured.

What is the incentive for a player to do an ATO then contract.
1) More guaranteed money, as you are getting 2 full seasons of salary, rather than 1, plus a few dollars this year.
2) time to develop at the AHL. Clock is not ticking as quickly.
3) Potentially allows the team to improve

Advantage to player burning year on contract.
1) Betting on themself that they can prove enough in one year to get a salary increase as a RFA before the second full season.
2) Potentially gets a couple NHL games immediately, which is cool

Ok, so the ATO includes an ELC beginning next year with any injury issues taken care of? I don't know the details of those ATO contracts. Thanks

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He played another year in the USHL after tho. Next year would be his 4th year
Pretty sure we keep his rights until his college eligibility is up. How often do you see juniors in college decline to sign, and then sign with another team? Not UDFAs - drafted collegians.

Ok, so the ATO includes an ELC beginning next year with any injury issues taken care of? I don't know the details of those ATO contracts. Thanks

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Well it doesn't technically include it.

They sign a Entry level contract starting in the 2023/24 season. Then a second document is the ATO. I can't say I have reviewed the documents, but considering how incredibly common this is, I am fairly sure medical insurance is taken care of

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
He played another year in the USHL after tho. Next year would be his 4th year

That's correct, June 1, 2024 would be the "fourth June 1" after Lohrei's draft year and the date upon which Boston would lose his rights. That's how I read the CBA.

So the Bruins are in no position to play hardball. They can try for the ATO + ELC, but if Lohrei's team does not bite after a week, I would have no problem just caving and burning a year of the ELC. The worst thing that can happen here is Lohrei goes back to OU.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad