Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Because of the salary cap, Lohrei easily replaces Forbort's contract or Gryz's. In the salary cap era, you have to have some incoming cheap salaries (rookies). The Bruins are lacking in this area. Orlov should be given close to Lindholm money to stay. Lohrei would be a replacement for another established salary in the lineup. Or do you let Orlov go and sign Clifton, who is also playing well? Or do you trade Gryz and Forbort? Is Clifton cheaper than Orlov?

Gryz is playing well. His value may never be higher. he really is a marvelous puck handler. But again, size, size, size. Lohrei has it in spades.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So explain this to me like I am 5. I kept reading about the Bruins having one contract and they just signed Kuntar. So what does that mean for Lohrei?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Because of the salary cap, Lohrei easily replaces Forbort's contract or Gryz's. In the salary cap era, you have to have some incoming cheap salaries (rookies). The Bruins are lacking in this area. Orlov should be given close to Lindholm money to stay. Lohrei would be a replacement for another established salary in the lineup. Or do you let Orlov go and sign Clifton, who is also playing well? Or do you trade Gryz and Forbort? Is Clifton cheaper than Orlov?

Gryz is playing well. His value may never be higher. he really is a marvelous puck handler. But again, size, size, size. Lohrei has it in spades.
I did a mock lineup on Capfriendly and I let Orlov, Bertuzzi, Clifton and Hathaway walk, traded Forbort without any retention and bought out Reilly.

Then I replaced all of the vets with Lauko, Lysell, McLaughlin, Steen, Lohrei, Zboril, Callahan and Wissman... and I’m still $1.2 over the cap. :banghead:

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So explain this to me like I am 5. I kept reading about the Bruins having one contract and they just signed Kuntar. So what does that mean for Lohrei?

It looks like Kuntar's ELC doesn't start till next season, so the Bruins still have a contract slot open for this season.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I did a mock lineup on Capfriendly and I let Orlov, Bertuzzi, Clifton and Hathaway walk, traded Forbort without any retention and B ought out Reilly.

Then I replaced all of the vets with Lauko, Lysell, McLaughlin, Steen, Lohrei, Zboril, Callahan and Wissman... and I’m still $1.2 over the cap. :banghead:
Don't sweat it the playoffs will garner enough to cover it

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So if you're Lohrei, knowing you are a top prospect, do you take an ATO and risk (however slightly) a catastrophic injury? Or do you hold out for an ELC and force the Bruins to burn a year for the sake of a few games in Providence (Can't seem him pulling a McAvoy with the way this year's Bruins D is stacked)? Do you sit out hockey now that the NCAA season is over, finish your courses and sign over the summer? Or, do you return for your junior year of college?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
So if you're Lohrei, knowing you are a top prospect, do you take an ATO and risk (however slightly) a catastrophic injury? Or do you hold out for an ELC and force the Bruins to burn a year for the sake of a few games in Providence (Can't seem him pulling a McAvoy with the way this year's Bruins D is stacked)? Do you sit out hockey now that the NCAA season is over, finish your courses and sign over the summer? Or, do you return for your junior year of college?
well when he signs the ATO, he's still signing his ELC...it just doesn't begin until 2023-24.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I mean this isn’t an unusual situation - most players in his position come out now. Playing Providence this Spring - along with the AHL playoffs - increase his chances of making the big club in October, or at the very least accelerates his development. No one is worried about catastrophic injury in these situations. Especially as mentioned above, he’ll have an ELC.

He could certainly go back, but why?

Reactions: Dr Hook and bme44

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I did a mock lineup on Capfriendly and I let Orlov, Bertuzzi, Clifton and Hathaway walk, traded Forbort without any retention and bought out Reilly.

Didn’t Orlov want 5 or 6 years from the Caps? Guy is 32 all next year and regression is surely coming. This sign Orlov movement doesn’t make any sense given the team’s cap situation. I agree with your letting him walk.

I don’t think a buyout for Reilly is necessary considering he will be on an expiring contract. Have to imagine one of the teams would take a decent #6 with no term for free (future considerations).

Reactions: PlayMakers and Ivo

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
well when he signs the ATO, he's still signing his ELC...it just doesn't begin until 2023-24.

So is he covered by the contract prior to its starting, so if he gets injured, the contract is still valid?

I mean this isn’t an unusual situation - most players in his position come out now. Playing Providence this Spring - along with the AHL playoffs - increase his chances of making the big club in October, or at the very least accelerates his development. No one is worried about catastrophic injury in these situations. Especially as mentioned above, he’ll have an ELC.

He could certainly go back, but why?

McAvoy was pretty honest about how difficult a decision it was, and the risks he was taking in doing so. I can imagine it isn't easy. I expect him to sign, but just curious how it might play out.

Reactions: TCB

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
You're talking about a guy who tore his ACL like 12 months ago. For free.

Reactions: Kegs

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Nugs, I hate to be the Debbie Downer and you know I love you, but this isn't always the case.

Our very own Charlie McAvoy signed an ATO on March 29, 2017 and wasn't suppose to sign his ELC contract until the offseason. It wasn't until almost two weeks later that he signed his ELC and that was only because of the depleted blue line for the Bruins in the playoffs.

There are players that sign an ATO now and then their ELC at a later date.

There are advantages to both team/and player for doing so that gets rather complicated, which is why we see them.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Maybe all the more reason to be careful? I hope he signs and plays, but will not be completely shocked if he doesn’t.
He can sign an ELC over the summer without going the ATO route if he's nervous. But the idea of going back to school at this point would be one of the bigger head scratchers I've seen. Surgery is a million times better these days and players don't tend to tear the same ligament afterwards, but that's a non-zero, ends-your-career-before-earning-a-dime specter hovering until he does sign that ELC.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but that last sentence threw me.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He can sign an ELC over the summer without going the ATO route if he's nervous. But the idea of going back to school at this point would be one of the bigger head scratchers I've seen. Surgery is a million times better these days and players don't tend to tear the same ligament afterwards, but that's a non-zero, ends-your-career-before-earning-a-dime specter hovering until he does sign that ELC.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but that last sentence threw me.
Ha! Fair enough. I included it for the sake of completeness I guess.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Nugs, I hate to be the Debbie Downer and you know I love you, but this isn't always the case.

Our very own Charlie McAvoy signed an ATO on March 29, 2017 and wasn't suppose to sign his ELC contract until the offseason. It wasn't until almost two weeks later that he signed his ELC and that was only because of the depleted blue line for the Bruins in the playoffs.

There are players that sign an ATO now and then their ELC at a later date.

There are advantages to both team/and player for doing so that gets rather complicated, which is why we see them.
my bad, thanks for correcting...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

This is always tough because I don't have the same experience Lohrei did through life. His way of thinking is not the same as mine, his wants and desires may not be the same as mine. Assuming they were....

Sign the ATO get some AHL games in this year to see what to expect for next season and what areas to focus on in the off-season training program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad