Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Someone here predicted this. The Senyshyn logic. Amazing. For all we know, after meant in the 7th round.

Yes and some people here will say anything in order not have to admit that maybe they were wrong. Why is it so hard to believe that another team targeted the kid for the third round? Is it that important that one be able to paint Sweeney as an incompetent buffoon that theywill dismiss anything that contradicts it? Is that critical to be right?

Reactions: CDJ

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yes and some people here will say anything in order not have to admit that maybe they were wrong. Why is it so hard to believe that another team targeted the kid for the third round? Is it that important that one be able to paint Sweeney as an incompetent buffoon that theywill dismiss anything that contradicts it? Is that critical to be right?

It simply seems too good to be true in this modern age of scouting, with social media and internet etc. That so few knew who he even was... I certainly hope he meets his potential but our management is frustrating of late.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
That can't be right, because if the Bruins just left him till the fifth round, he would have still been available.

There's a bit of weirdness around this kid and this pick, completely through no fault of his own. Lohrei's NHL draft report is glowing and this anonymous western scout supposedly really rated him and wanted to pick him, but he was ranked 400-and-something overall, was such a non-consideration that nobody even bothered to package together some footage of his play, and the report Dom posted at the top of this thread was far more circumspect. I get different scouts are going to make different evaluations, but the discrepancy was really noticeable. So things don't quite add up here - the amount of positive talk around him just doesn't compute with his ranking. But I can't quite wrap my head around why that's so and what exactly it means.

Clearly there's something there though. Hopefully Mason can put it all together and we'll have ourselves a player. All the best to him.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It simply seems too good to be true in this modern age of scouting, with social media and internet etc. That so few knew who he even was... I certainly hope he meets his potential but our management is frustrating of late.

Possibly- Conroy could be shilling for Sweeney here, but I have a hard time believing it. But anything is possible, I've learned that much over the years. Kirk definitely knew who he was. He was kid who was nothing draftworthy in his first year of draft eligibility, so I would suspect that took him off a lot of radars. He bloomed late. Based on what the scouting report on the kid is, I don't have a lot of trouble believing other NHL teams were aware of him and interested. Maybe not second round interested, but interested.

As for the larger issue of frustration, I share it. They have been abysmal about their FA signings for the main roster for the most part, and have failed to deliver the players that could push them over the top. I am not hopeful they do it this year either, but in terms of drafting, I know they have a plan and a template and they stick to it. I think it's still too early to tell how it will all play out, but so far it is a mixed record, like most teams when it comes to the draft. I think some people here just demand every player be a homerun pick and should step into the lineup as 18 or 19 year olds and if they can't, then Sweeney is a fail and I just don't find that point of view reasonable.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There's a bit of weirdness around this kid and this pick, completely through no fault of his own. Lohrei's NHL draft report is glowing and this anonymous western scout supposedly really rated him and wanted to pick him, but he was ranked 400-and-something overall, was such a non-consideration that nobody even bothered to package together some footage of his play, and the report Dom posted at the top of this thread was far more circumspect. I get different scouts are going to make different evaluations, but the discrepancy was really noticeable. So things don't quite add up here - the amount of positive talk around him just doesn't compute with his ranking. But I can't quite wrap my head around why that's so and what exactly it means.

Clearly there's something there though. Hopefully Mason can put it all together and we'll have ourselves a player. All the best to him.

In my post above, I have a theory about that- it is because he was an overager and last season he was clearly not going to be picked by anyone, Sweeney included, but they've kept an eye on him. I would imagine that it took the kid off most people's radars, including the draft ranking compilers. How often do they actually rank overagers highly? It seems to me without doing a deep dive into it that it doesn't happen very often.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

member 96824

Sooooo... you're saying that Steve Conroy is straight up lying?

Lying, being fed info, etc. I don’t know the specifics..but look. I’m skeptical by nature. To hear this same exact story every time the Bruins make a controversial pick specifically since Sweeney took over is too many red flags for me.

Senyshyn was going to Detroit so we just had to take him
Frederic was going to Anaheim so we just had to take him
Lohrei was going to some unnamed western conference team so we just had to take him.

It’s funny how those stories just happen to come out for those guys but don’t come out about the picks they’re not being raked over the coals for.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
worst case he never develops plays 4 years at osu and boston decides to not sign him

Yes but that can happen with any draft pick (and has, even first round "can't miss" guys). This kid is no more likely to be a bust than any other late second rounder.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Yes but that can happen with any draft pick (and has, even first round "can't miss" guys). This kid is no more likely to be a bust than any other late second rounder.

im just saying worst case scenario isnt that hes an nhl top 6 dman. Its much worse than that. I couldnt tell you anything about this guy other than i like the pick more than i usually like the reach picks. Will he turn out? Who knows, probably not. But if he does hes a 6-4 dman that will be ready to compete with a bruins team that probably doesnt have anyone on it that we currently consider the core. To me his ceiling is substantially high though. Parayko high. Where his floor is wiley sherman.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
One, just raw numbers. A pick at 31 is far more likely to be a player than a late 50s. Not all 2nd round picks are equal.

I said late second round, not 31 or 32. Read my post again. And I stand by that, he is no more likely to bust out "than any other late second rounder" where the vast majority of them do not make any meaningful impact in the NHL.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
im just saying worst case scenario isnt that hes an nhl top 6 dman. Its much worse than that. I couldnt tell you anything about this guy other than i like the pick more than i usually like the reach picks. Will he turn out? Who knows, probably not. But if he does hes a 6-4 dman that will be ready to compete with a bruins team that probably doesnt have anyone on it that we currently consider the core. To me his ceiling is substantially high though. Parayko high. Where his floor is wiley sherman.

God I hope not.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
This sounds really promising, see below
"The Bruins' first pick, defenseman Mason Lohrie at No. 58 overall, probably won't be that any time soon.
Colin Cudmore, a Senators blogger, compiled 50 different collections of prospect rankings as a means of knowing where each player was ranked on average. That way, as soon as Player X was taken with Pick Y, there was a quick resource for determining whether the pick would be considered a reach, steal or anything in between.
The Bruins' first pick, at No. 58, provided a first for this year's draft: He was the only player completely unranked on all 50 lists."
Strange as the one draft guide i had in my hands yesterday had him ranked as an overager but ranked nevertheless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad