Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That is astonishing. That is an outlier. It simply does not make any sense either when looking at our prospects. Every team has this, and better - largely due to the Bruins success in recent years.

The Hockey Writers has them at a more logical 26th.

Nevertheless, it is a neutral source. I don't really know where they should be in a list and no one does because they are all prospects. Some 'can't miss' guys will miss, some "4th line ceiling' guys will surprise. On paper it doesn't seem to me the Bruins are that great in the prospect department but not awful either. What they seem to lack is that next generation of top-flight players because of where they draft about every year (except 2015, but I don't want to have that discussion here). Time will tell.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No, it shouldn’t. Look, I’m not privy to inside info and maybe they did try to work out a swap. But regardless of how much they like the guy, wouldn’t it be a good idea to try to pick up an extra pick in a later round? If could have gotten Lorelei in say the third.
In the end the only thing that really matters is did they get the correct value at their draft position. If Lorelei makes the NHL and becomes a 1st pairing Dman, I dont think any of us will have cared about him being a reach. Of course on the other end if he's a bust then we can certainly be angry and question the reach.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
No, it shouldn’t. Look, I’m not privy to inside info and maybe they did try to work out a swap. But regardless of how much they like the guy, wouldn’t it be a good idea to try to pick up an extra pick in a later round? If could have gotten Lorelei in say the third.
At some point, you like a kid enough where you're not willing to risk losing him by trading out of a spot where you can get him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Here is what Kirk posted about him at The Scouting Post:

"A big, long, rangy defender who can get up the ice with a smooth, powerful stride, Lohrei is a very good passer/puck-mover who led the league in assists by a blue liner with 29. He has the physical tools to be a top-4 defenseman in the NHL, but does not have the junior hockey experience of a lot of his peers. Good defensive awareness and plays with some jam.

You can’t teach this kid’s pure size and reach- he’ a good skater who plays the prototypical modern defensive NHL style with the ability to handle pucks under pressure. Has improved significantly in the past several years, and puts in the work/plays with bite. He’s definitely a Boston Bruins-type player and while he wasn’t on our radar largely because he was a second-year eligible who wasn’t a serious draft prospect in 2019, he should have been this time around- he demonstrated a fine 2-way game in his first USHL season, and will be even better in his second campaign before heading to the Big Ten and OSU."

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Profile kinda reminds me of John Moore’s when he was a draft prospect. Obviously Moore was held in much higher regard and was more NHL ready though

If he ends up being John Moore that’s a success at pick 58, as much as people may not want to hear it lol

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Was Debrusk not considered a reach? Plus if there is one spot we should actually trust Sweeney and Co, I'd argue it's with the scouting, drafting and developing of Dmen.
I think Jake was 19 ranking NA, wasn't a huge stretch. He was predicted to go in the first.

I'll give you the defenseman portion. But for the most part, the successful Sweeney era drafted defensemen have been picked around the time they were scouted to have gone. This was a stretch from every single analyst, but I guess they got the kid they wanted. So hope they are right.

At this it is what is, so I guess we'll just see. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the kid. Managements decisions are the ones that for the most part worry me.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Was Debrusk not considered a reach? Plus if there is one spot we should actually trust Sweeney and Co, I'd argue it's with the scouting, drafting and developing of Dmen.
Jake absolutely was a reach. He was a consensus late 1st round pick and of the scouts McKenzie talked to, his average ranking was 29th. On all of the lists, Senyshyn had an average ranking of 55, and Frederic’s average draft ranking was 63. During the 2016 draft, Brian Lawton revealed on live tv that he talked to 20 teams and none of them had Frederic in the top 50 of their lists. All 3 selections were mismanaged picks and these players never should’ve been Bruins. That’s not their fault, and us fans need to remember that. It is the fault of the morons in the front office and the scouting department for going for reaches over players who were vastly superior (both at the time and now). And in the case of the first two, they were reaches in a generational draft. That is not only stupid, it is unforgivable, and likely will be one of the reasons why Sweeney and/or Neely get canned in the next few years when the team declines.

Reactions: Estlin and LSCII

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Couldn't find any highlights on Lohrei. So I been trying to see what I could find from Green Bay Gambler games highlights. Here are a few (already bookmarked (sequence about a few seconds), just click)

#20 Mason Lohrei (white, yellow, black jersey)

Nice outlet pass

fluky tip in. But gets the puck through.

Odd man rush. 4 vs 1? Nice try. Also a few sec later a nice outlet pass

Dancing around the offensive end, creating opportunities
https://youtu.be/ePE6qyt8LQw?t=288

Last edited:
Reactions: maxbme

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Profile kinda reminds me of John Moore’s when he was a draft prospect. Obviously Moore was held in much higher regard and was more NHL ready though

If he ends up being John Moore that’s a success at pick 58, as much as people may not want to hear it lol

I don't think the issue is that the kid has no skills. I think the issue is that the organization could have and probably should have drafted him later rather than where they did. My criticism on the pick is all with Sweeney and not the kid.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't think the issue is that the kid has no skills. I think the issue is that the organization could have and probably should have drafted him later rather than where they did. My criticism on the pick is all with Sweeney and not the kid.

I do agree with those that would like to see Sweeney trade down in these situations. He would at least get another bite at the apple and still be able to get his guy. Although the risk you run there is Lohrei also being another teams guy and I’d imagine orgs are more willing to go off the board at that point in the draft (3rd round)

It does get to a point where if you like a guy just get him- I would like to see a more belichickian approach to it though. The B’s seem to be less willing to take risks in that regard (which is crazy because they’re willing to take a risk and consistently go pretty far off the board lol)

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Jake absolutely was a reach. He was a consensus late 1st round pick and of the scouts McKenzie talked to, his average ranking was 29th. On all of the lists, Senyshyn had an average ranking of 55, and Frederic’s average draft ranking was 63. During the 2016 draft, Brian Lawton revealed on live tv that he talked to 20 teams and none of them had Frederic in the top 50 of their lists. All 3 selections were mismanaged picks and these players never should’ve been Bruins. That’s not their fault, and us fans need to remember that. It is the fault of the morons in the front office and the scouting department for going for reaches over players who were vastly superior (both at the time and now). And in the case of the first two, they were reaches in a generational draft. That is not only stupid, it is unforgivable, and likely will be one of the reasons why Sweeney and/or Neely get canned in the next few years when the team declines.

Exactly. It's like the Backes deal. I never got mad at the guy for taking that offer. I got mad at Sweeney for extending it to him though.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

The Bruins could have traded down the 2nd round pick for a 3rd and 4th or even 3rd and future pick. Unless they were worried another team were interested with Lohrei approx around 58th pick

Reactions: LSCII

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think Jake was 19 ranking NA, wasn't a huge stretch. He was predicted to go in the first.

I'll give you the defenseman portion. But for the most part, the successful Sweeney era drafted defensemen have been picked around the time they were scouted to have gone. This was a stretch from every single analyst, but I guess they got the kid they wanted. So hope they are right.

At this it is what is, so I guess we'll just see. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the kid. Managements decisions are the ones that for the most part worry me.
Either way I too hope this kid ends up a good pick - as I'm sure most here do - but I'm willing to be patient before I make my judgement.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You really aren't wrong on the trading down part, but there are just too many unknown variables though. If they truly have this guy ranked in the 2nd round, then it wouldn't surprise me if in their mind they are also worried that another team may be just as high on him as well. So now even by trading down two picks, you're taking a risk that your guy is gone. Now who knows, maybe they (not saying it's right or wrong) have this dman as a potential 1st round talent on their scouting list. He drops down to the end of the 2nd round now and in their rankings that is tremendous value to them and not worth the extra risk either.

I'm more patient than a lot of people, however I'm not praising this pick because frankly I didn't follow any of these prospects closely this draft to have a preference for who they should've picked instead. I'm just willing to be patient and hope that given this guys size, he may very well be a late bloomer and a solid value even if it is a reach at this moment in time.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Say what you want about Bill the GM, but he at least trades down and gets 1-2 extra picks before going off the board. The fact that Sweeney hasn’t learned his lessons on his reaches, let alone trading down to pick up assets, is terrifying.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Say what you want about Bill the GM, but he at least trades down and gets 1-2 extra picks before going off the board. The fact that Sweeney hasn’t learned his lessons on his reaches, let alone trading down to pick up assets, is terrifying.

Yep. Was having this same discussion earlier here about the 7th round pick they flipped to Toronto. They delayed the pick for a year and got nothing for it. No extra asset. Nothing. Seems like a green mistake to make as a GM, and he's been here way too long to keep making the same ones over and over.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
This sounds really promising, see below
"The Bruins' first pick, defenseman Mason Lohrie at No. 58 overall, probably won't be that any time soon.
Colin Cudmore, a Senators blogger, compiled 50 different collections of prospect rankings as a means of knowing where each player was ranked on average. That way, as soon as Player X was taken with Pick Y, there was a quick resource for determining whether the pick would be considered a reach, steal or anything in between.
The Bruins' first pick, at No. 58, provided a first for this year's draft: He was the only player completely unranked on all 50 lists."

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yep. Was having this same discussion earlier here about the 7th round pick they flipped to Toronto. They delayed the pick for a year and got nothing for it. No extra asset. Nothing. Seems like a green mistake to make as a GM, and he's been here way too long to keep making the same ones over and over.

I think the 7th next year is likely to be higher than the 7th this year. That alone is incentive to do the deal, especially if you’re not particularly interested in anybody else

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think the 7th next year is likely to be higher than the 7th this year. That alone is incentive to do the deal, especially if you’re not particularly interested in anybody else
You have interesting definitions of "likely" and the concept of value today.

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
First time chiming in about this pick.

It is no doubt a reach and I would have liked to see them trade back if they were intent on taking this kid no matter what.

I will say that with the 58th Pick we need to tamper our expectations that there are slam dunks on the board. They all have warts at this point in the draft. If this was a 1st rounder I would be much more upset.

I can only imagine what would have happened on here if we took Chinikov 21st overall like Columbus did.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

This is true, at least to a point. Pick 58, or any second round pick for that matter, is still high enough that you should expect to be able to get a long-term NHLer out of it. But there's plenty of busts around those numbers in the 50s too. So the question becomes is it a position in which you should be making a safer pick, even if the potential upside isn't quite as high, or do the odds justify making a more speculative selection?

I did a quick survey of the guys taken at picks 57, 58 & 59 in the 2006-2015 drafts. Out of the 30 players drafted in those positions, there has been 1 outright star (Kucherov), 1 top-line fwd (Bertuzzi), 9 serviceable NHL players, and 19 busts. So that's about a 37% success rate. Is that low enough that it warrants using a pick in that range for a pretty major reach at a 'diamond in the rough' kind of guy? It probably is, but it's also high enough that if that reach turns out to be a flop, people are going to remember it and fairly enough criticize you for it, because there's likely to be other prospects taken around those numbers that turn out to be NHLers.

So Sweeney's stuck his neck out with this one, as he's fond of doing, and I think it's not a completely unreasonable course of action, but it will bite him if it doesn't work out.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

When we are looking at 7ths they are all the same. The value lost and uncompensated is the year of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->