Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You have interesting definitions of "likely" and the concept of value today.

do you think the maple leafs will do better than the bruins did this year? I do not. Was it the leafs own 7th moved? If so then voila. I’d consider it “likely” to be better than whatever pick this is. If I’m wrong feel free to quote this in a year!

And also the fact that some of you think there’s any value to be had when we are talking about a 7th round pick swap is lol funny. It’s complaining for the sake of complaining

Reactions: wintersej

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Lying, being fed info, etc. I don’t know the specifics..but look. I’m skeptical by nature. To hear this same exact story every time the Bruins make a controversial pick specifically since Sweeney took over is too many red flags for me.

Senyshyn was going to Detroit so we just had to take him
Frederic was going to Anaheim so we just had to take him
Lohrei was going to some unnamed western conference team so we just had to take him.

It’s funny how those stories just happen to come out for those guys but don’t come out about the picks they’re not being raked over the coals for.
I get the skepticism, but its also equally likely that those guys actually were going to be going off the board by some other team soon.

Those other guys weren't huge reaches like Seny/Frederic - - but I also find it equally hard to believe that a management team for a top team would pick a guy 5 rounds ahead of his mainstream ranking for no reason besides they liked him a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one team out of the 30 liked the guy as much as the Bruins.

But really either scenario could be true

Reactions: Dr Hook

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Boston Bruins

Favorite pick: I wouldn’t have drafted Trevor Kuntar in the second round, but I think he could be an effective bottom-six forward in the NHL.
Least favorite pick: While I could have gone with any of the rest of the picks, Mason Langenbrunner jumps out at me. He might be a fine prospect, but come on, drafting the son of one of your colleagues in the fifth round?
Grade: F. The Bruins reached on all of their picks. That’s not a good sign. There’s a non-zero chance the Bruins will get zero NHL games from this group.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Boston Bruins

Favorite pick: I wouldn’t have drafted Trevor Kuntar in the second round, but I think he could be an effective bottom-six forward in the NHL.
Least favorite pick: While I could have gone with any of the rest of the picks, Mason Langenbrunner jumps out at me. He might be a fine prospect, but come on, drafting the son of one of your colleagues in the fifth round?
Grade: F. The Bruins reached on all of their picks. That’s not a good sign. There’s a non-zero chance the Bruins will get zero NHL games from this group.

Duran wasn’t a reach.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I like his toolbox I just saw his highlights
He can skate like the wind and his close up gaps on other players is tremendous. His fast good shot good passes. We got a good one. Nice one donny !

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think everyone being hard on this pick. He is 6’4. And seems very smart with a lot of upside. I haven’t seen him tho. But who knows. He might just be a stud. D develops slower. And honestly Sweeney has an eye for d.

Reactions: DKH and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think everyone being hard on this pick. He is 6’4. And seems very smart with a lot of upside. I haven’t seen him tho. But who knows. He might just be a stud. D develops slower. And honestly Sweeney has an eye for d.

He also wasn’t a D until relatively recently iirc

People overreacted as if Sweeney was going off board at 14 again. It’s pick 58. They needed to take a breather

Kid looks good so far, like he was expected to. Hopefully he keeps it up. Hopefully I don’t get accused of ball-washing for stating basic facts.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He also wasn’t a D until relatively recently iirc

People overreacted as if Sweeney was going off board at 14 again. It’s pick 58. They needed to take a breather

Kid looks good so far, like he was expected to. Hopefully he keeps it up. Hopefully I don’t get accused of ball-washing for stating basic facts.

I'm never concerned when it comes to the bruins selecting D prospects. They have that nailed down.

Reactions: DKH, CDJ and BMC

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
do you think the maple leafs will do better than the bruins did this year? I do not. Was it the leafs own 7th moved? If so then voila. I’d consider it “likely” to be better than whatever pick this is. If I’m wrong feel free to quote this in a year!

And also the fact that some of you think there’s any value to be had when we are talking about a 7th round pick swap is lol funny. It’s complaining for the sake of complaining
It is a waste of time discussing the flipping of 7th round picks. How many 7th rounders actually make it to the NHL and play on a regular basis?
As far as the Leafs are concerned, they are in a much weaker division this year and I expect them to do better than the Bruins. Their defence will be much better this year adding Brodie and losing Barrie who was terrible defensively.
Bogosian was a nice pickup as well.
Jumbo Jim and Simmonds add size , leadership and a bit of grit.
We have not replaced Krug and did not address the second line scoring winger we so desperately need.

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good stuff! The physical element on a shutdown level is the only thing that hasn't shown up in all these highlight clips. He's got the size and skill package to just throw a blanket over half the ice.
Interesting they were targeting him for awhile

Ahcan & Lohrei like Mutt & Jeff and will be fun to see where they go in their development

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Maybe the highest of ceilings is we could be looking a Chabot lite like player down the line. Not to put any pressure or expectations on the kid but we can dream. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in college. The staff sure knows how to find defenseman.

Reactions: DKH

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe the highest of ceilings is we could be looking a Chabot lite like player down the line. Not to put any pressure or expectations on the kid but we can dream. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in college. The staff sure knows how to find defenseman.

Chabot... i don't see it.

I see a less filled out Tyler Myers at that age if we're looking at playstyle comparisons. If he has a similar career as a 2nd pairing, 30-40 point guy, I'd be pretty happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->