Prospect Info: Round 2 Pick 57 - Axel Andersson

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
If Vaakanainen starts the season for the Bruins, that will be 1 Dman from the 2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts making the opening night lineup in their D+1 year.

The pressure will be on to see if Andersson can keep that streak alive for a 4th straight year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Vaakanainen starts the season for the Bruins, that will be 1 Dman from the 2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts making the opening night lineup in their D+1 year.

The pressure will be on to see if Andersson can keep that streak alive for a 4th straight year.
that`s pretty solid drafting IMO, can`t comment on Andersson as I haven`t watched him

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
that`s pretty solid drafting IMO, can`t comment on Andersson as I haven`t watched him
I forgot I wrote this last year, and neither have I. I don't remember if Andersson played in the preseason game I watched.

Vaak didn't make opening night but he did play. He would have played a lot longer if not for the concussion--so smooth skating it looked like gliding in figure skating. Andersson being in Providence this year makes him an injury call up away from going 4-for-4 with D+1 defenseman playing in the NHL.

With Lauzon and Zboril also showing well in their (admittedly) brief stints, drafting defenseman is the one area I'd give Bruins management an A+ in. 2 years from now, I am expecting to see the entire D core be 25 and under drafted by this management.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Andersson being in Providence this year makes him an injury call up away from going 4-for-4 with D+1 defenseman playing in the NHL.

Moore who plays both sides is out for a good while. Who knows if Kevan Miller ever comes back right- pretty devastating injuries he suffered. Clifton looked good, but he has to show it on a consistent basis over the season. Then there's the injuries you mentioned. Opportunities for Andersson on the right side this year could well be available.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Only read up on Axel today. Somehow I forgot about him, until today.
Quite the skill set. Surprises everywhere that he goes. Seams like a quick learner and easily adaptable.
If he keeps following his learning curve he should start in Provi.
Needs to keep working on the defensive side of the game, and put some mass.
Great potential, B's don't want to rush the kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOKER 192

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He struggled with Lavoie badly a couple times one-on-one in the 1st period. Both resulted in great scoring chances and the second time Andersson's teammate had to take a penalty.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He didn't look like the same guy as he did in rookie camp last year. He made some plays coming out of the zone and he's good at not giving the puck away but he didn't show a tonne of creativity or pizzazz. I worry that he's playing in places where he's not really in a position to develop his offense. Would it be crazy for him to play a year in Kitchener instead of Providence?

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I saw the 2nd period, he needs ice time, he needs to be surrounded by professionals.
First choice would be Providence, with the coaching staff to help his development.
If not Moncton has his import rights. Providence would be ideal. In the CHL it's more the team needs than the player needs.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I saw the 2nd period, he needs ice time, he needs to be surrounded by professionals.
First choice would be Providence, with the coaching staff to help his development.
If not Moncton has his import rights. Providence would be ideal. In the CHL it's more the team needs than the player needs.

Ok, I didn't really understand how the import draft works. Seems he was drafted by Kitchener last year, and now Moncton this year? Anyway, they used a 1st rounder in the import draft on him so they must think he has a chance of going there.

He he needs to play with some more confidence. Reading these comments from Langenbrunner sounds like the Bruins think the same thing: Bruins’ Axel Andersson back for critical camp – Boston Herald

“He’s continuing. He’s still young, he still looks like a young kid,” Langenbrunner said. “He played in the second division in Sweden. Had a little bit of a rough start offensively, I’d say, probably just trying to not make a mistake. That’s part of the growth as an 18-year-old. You’re going to be a little bit cautious, and he was.”

“We saw a little bit in preseason, and his ability to make plays,” Langenbrunner said. “His instincts are very good. He’ll be over here in North America this year, in Providence or junior, that’s to be determined I guess. He’s a heady player with great instincts.”

I don't think it would be the worst thing if he was in Moncton, they should have a good team.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Ok, I didn't really understand how the import draft works. Seems he was drafted by Kitchener last year, and now Moncton this year? Anyway, they used a 1st rounder in the import draft on him so they must think he has a chance of going there.

He he needs to play with some more confidence. Reading these comments from Langenbrunner sounds like the Bruins think the same thing: Bruins’ Axel Andersson back for critical camp – Boston Herald

“He’s continuing. He’s still young, he still looks like a young kid,” Langenbrunner said. “He played in the second division in Sweden. Had a little bit of a rough start offensively, I’d say, probably just trying to not make a mistake. That’s part of the growth as an 18-year-old. You’re going to be a little bit cautious, and he was.”

“We saw a little bit in preseason, and his ability to make plays,” Langenbrunner said. “His instincts are very good. He’ll be over here in North America this year, in Providence or junior, that’s to be determined I guess. He’s a heady player with great instincts.”

I don't think it would be the worst thing if he was in Moncton, they should have a good team.
Problem with Moncton is Jordan Spence, who be 1RD and the RHD on PP1 next season, pretty much like he was last season. If Andersson isn't getting PP1 time in the Q, there's absolutely no point sending him there.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Problem with Moncton is Jordan Spence, who be 1RD and the RHD on PP1 next season, pretty much like he was last season. If Andersson isn't getting PP1 time in the Q, there's absolutely no point sending him there.

May the best man win. He should be able to displace a 4th rounder who is a year younger than him. If he can't beat him out, he's sure not going to beat anyone out in Providence.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
May the best man win. He should be able to displace a 4th rounder who is a year younger than him. If he can't beat him out, he's sure not going to beat anyone out in Providence.
If that's the way all positional competition goes in the Q, then I guess we have no worries.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

My beef with CHL is they wont developed the players for the long term, they play them to their strength.
I want him in Providence to be developed by pros for the long term for his all around game.
Look at Senyshyn, they used him for the offensive and now we are wasting precious years teaching him how to play hockey.
Let's cut the middle men since in this case we can.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
My beef with CHL is they wont developed the players for the long term, they play them to their strength.
I want him in Providence to be developed by pros for the long term for his all around game.

Look at Senyshyn, they used him for the offensive and now we are wasting precious years teaching him how to play hockey.

Does Andersson excel at anything or is it going to be more of a developing everything?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I don't think that is entirely true at all.

Give me a player that has developed under Dale Hunter or Stan Butler 8 days a week. And there are others. Neither one is afraid to take a pure offensive player and put him in a defensive role for a year to develop. And they are developmental coaches

Reactions: BBB24

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I don`t think this applies to anywhere close to all CHL teams. Truth is, the top tier prospects are rarely in the program long enough to really work on developing the kids games. I watched Cam Russell, Dom Ducharme do great work with those kids who were in a Mooseheads jersey longer than a year or two and even those top tier kids I had a chance to see, Drouin, Mackinnon, Meier, Hischier, Zadina to name a few made nice strides to better rounding out their games.

Past Bruins pick Andrew Bodnarchuk was/is a great example of a kid whose game was incredibly green when I first saw him play, but he developed into an exceptionally sound Junior player.

When I was a kid growing up in Ottawa, Brian Kilrea consistently rounded out kids games and helped develop them , did a great job of developing

Reactions: BBB24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad