Prospect Info: Round 2 Pick 57 - Axel Andersson

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Here's a shift by shift if you're curious

Axel Andersson vs Farjestad BK J20 | Feb 7 2018

Seems like a pretty fluid skater, but he was very out of position at times. Not getting into the right defensive position to block passing lanes/ shots. Not getting into position for his defensive partner to have an option to pass to him to start on the break.

Some fluid skating and good passing ability, but actually some pretty poor positioning. I guess that pretty correctable but still not exactly a good video of him.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He’s definitely going to be a love him or hate him prospect.

Going to Kitchener is going to be great for his development

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He’s definitely going to be a love him or hate him prospect.

Going to Kitchener is going to be great for his development

Luckily for him positioning is one of the most easy things to coach and develop as a prospect. Looks like a fluid skater and a solid passer, but damn his awareness on where he should be as far as lining up defensively or making himself available for passes from his defensive pair looked rough. Can’t blame him tho, still a very raw prospect and plenty of time to improve.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Luckily for him positioning is one of the most easy things to coach and develop as a prospect. Looks like a fluid skater and a solid passer, but damn his awareness on where he should be as far as lining up defensively or making himself available for passes from his defensive pair looked rough. Can’t blame him tho, still a very raw prospect and plenty of time to improve.

I'm hoping he does come over and play for Kitchener in the OHL. (Someone) correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SuperElit Sweden's top junior league? If that's where he is playing next year (as opposed to Allsvenskan or the SHL), I'd prefer he just come over and play in our top junior league and start learning the game on the smaller ice surface.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Suits up for what club ?

Kitchener Rangers? Mike McKenzie, the GM of the Kitchener Rangers (who just selected Andersson in the Import Draft), has talked to the agent of Andersson. From that discussion, McKenzie feels there is a "strong chance" that Andersson comes over to North America to play for Kitchener.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm hoping he does come over and play for Kitchener in the OHL. (Someone) correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SuperElit Sweden's top junior league? If that's where he is playing next year (as opposed to Allsvenskan or the SHL), I'd prefer he just come over and play in our top junior league and start learning the game on the smaller ice surface.

I don't believe he was drafted into the USHL :popcorn: (before I get jumped on, many hockey people, including me, believe the USHL to be the best junior league in the world with the OHL second).

I will hold judgement on whether Kitchener is the best option for him until I see what the Rangers will look like and what type of role it appears they expect of him.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sounds like he could be playing in the OHL with Kitchener Rangers this season.

I don't read too much into it but the timing is odd.
Hope so. Would be nice to see him here in Kitchener as a long time Bruin fan and Ranger season ticket holder:) Bruin fan for 60 years . Ranger fan since 1976. Lot of hockey under those two bridges.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don't believe he was drafted into the USHL :popcorn: (before I get jumped on, many hockey people, including me, believe the USHL to be the best junior league in the world with the OHL second).

I will hold judgement on whether Kitchener is the best option for him until I see what the Rangers will look like and what type of role it appears they expect of him.
Many hockey people believe the CHL is the best junior league in the world with the USHL a far cry from second especially in Canada.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Many hockey people believe the CHL is the best junior league in the world with the USHL a far cry from second especially in Canada.
Best league to get showcased for the draft,CHL for sure
Best league to develop a raw player, I'm with Dom

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I wouldn’t say it’s a far cry. The two leagues are different, as Dom pointed out. A lot of the best USHL prospects end up starting their development there and then move on to the NCAA.

I wish that the USHL had some Eastern teams. Would love to be able to watch locally.

Edit: To bolster Dom’s point:

Home

In the 2018 draft, the USHL set a record for most players drafted from a junior league.

Last edited:

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
This is like private school vs public. In the end every scenario is different. If you're a good hockey player and want it, it doesn't matter where you play.

Reactions: Spooner st

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Anyway, back to Axel.

I really wanted the B’s to take McBain, especially after I heard that he (Axel) didn’t look good in the drills early in Dev Camp. Then I went to the camp on Friday and watched him in the scrimmage.

I still wish the B’s had gotten McBain somehow, but AA was very, very good in the scrimmage. I think he’s going to be a good player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad