Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So, a sort of sniper in the 1st and an undersized puck mover in the 2nd. Well, you can’t say the draft philosophies haven’t been tweaked. Flyers give no cares about skating either.

My concern would be: he looks pretty filled out. That’s a positive for his physical defensive game, and I am more than content with undersized skill players, and I’d gamble on this archetype. But especially for a defenseman, you need to be able to skate. At least be 4-way quick. Is he just a heavy skater or is there room for projectable improvement?

Will also be curious to see how Anton Johannesson vs. Emil Andre track. I have nothing to really evaluate, but you need to be correct on guys who play together.

Andrae has the higher IQ and far better D.

Johannesson has slightly better hands I think, and better skating.

But Andrae is not lacking in those areas.

He is pretty agile, I dont "hate" his skating. Just could be faster.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

============================

Offensive defender headed to Philly

Emil Andrae - NHL Player Page

October 7, 2020
Andrae was drafted 54th overall by the Flyers at the 2020 NHL Entry Draft on Wednesday.

ANALYSIS
Andrae is another in a long line of undersized, offensive defensemen available in this draft. His creativity with the puck and ability to find open teammates make him an extremely intriguing long-term option for Philadelphia, but none of that will matter if Andrae's play in his own zone doesn't improve. He tends to get pushed off the puck by opposing forwards due to a lack of upper-body strength. And as it stands right now, he'd have to play sheltered minutes at even strength. Andrae will continue to develop with the HV71 program in his native Sweden.

Cant get behind that write-up. (rotowire one, Scott loves Andrae and has similar opinion to him as me, talked about him at WJC actually.)

Kid is really strong for his size. And pretty good defensively.

Right now he plays top 4 minutes in the SHL vs top sixes!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Andrae has the higher IQ and far better D.

Johannesson has slightly better hands I think, and better skating.

But Andrae is not lacking in those areas.

He is pretty agile, I dont "hate" his skating. Just could be faster.

High end puck skills and passing and IQ can mitigate skating flaws for sure. Always bet on skills and IQ.

Do you know of any game tape available for Andrae?

Rasmus Sandin popped into my mind too. Couple inches taller, had an OHL sample on small ice, probably a bit quicker/better footwork from what I've seen (not that he wasn't knocked for skating). But that's the difference between a 1st and 2nd rounder, I suppose.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
High end puck skills and passing and IQ can mitigate skating flaws for sure. Always bet on skills and IQ.

Do you know of any game tape available for Andrae?

Rasmus Sandin popped into my mind too. Couple inches taller, had an OHL sample, probably a bit quicker/better footwork from what I've seen. Not that he wasn't knocked for skating. But that's the difference between a 1st and 2nd rounder, I suppose.

Is the longest I have seen.

Wish I could share InState and SportContract stuff... but ofc cant!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm very confident in this pick. A lot of Spurgeon and Timonen in him. You know the Flyers loved him to go with a 5'9" (if that) LHD.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't get the skating concerns, particularly from anyone who is pro-Gostisbehere. He's similar with his agility and lateral mobility. He's no slower than Ghost at full speed. Will probably be faster. And I think he's better at keeping his head up and reading the ice, which helps him play faster. And he's certainly better defensively.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
How Hockey Prospect rated him:
Rating scale
3 poor, 4 below average, 5 average, 6 good, 7, very good, 8 excellent, 9 elite

Andrae's grades:
Hockey sense 7
Compete 7
Skill 6
Skating 5​