Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
FC Hockey:
upload_2020-10-7_13-17-26.png

Corey Pronman of The Athletic:
32. Emil Andrae, D, HV71-J20 SuperElit
Feb. 23, 2002 | 5-foot-9 | 181 pounds
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 60
Andrae was a top defenseman in the Swedish junior circuit and versus his age group. He brings a lot of elements to the table. Offensively he’s highly skilled and creative. He has the hands to make crafty 1-on-1 plays off the rush, and at the offensive blue line he shows no hesitancy to walk the line and make skilled plays. He sees the ice very well, finding options through tight seams at a high level. He’s not that fast, but he’s elusive in tight spaces, allowing him to evade checks. Andrae isn’t that big, but he plays hard, closing well on checks and using his body to separate pucks. Not having a great top gear at his size isn’t ideal, but his game is well rounded enough that I think he can make it to the NHL even with the size and skating combination.
NHL scout on Andrae: “He’s very talented and steady. He can play at both ends. He’s very skilled, he has guts. The skating for that size will be the question.”

Scott Wheeler of The Athletic:
21. Emil Andrae — LHD, HV71, 5-foot-8.5
Andrae has most of the qualities I look for in a draft-eligible defenceman. He’s calm under pressure. He can lead a rush in transition. He has the puck handling ability, east-west vision and four-way mobility needed to run a power play. He’s strong on his feet, which he leverages effectively along the wall. He’s physical when he needs to be without chasing for hits. And he’s calculated enough with the puck to recognize when he needs to hang onto it and when he just needs to advance the play. I have been surprised by the caution so many have about him. He’s very likely to slip into the second round and I believe that would be a mistake. His size is normally central to concerns some have with projecting him. I don’t see it as much of an issue, though. He’s very good defensively for his size. Don’t mistake his height for his sturdiness.

I asked HV71 head coach Nicklas Rahm for his evaluation of Andrae’s game at the SHL level this season. Here’s what he said:
“He played his game. His game is a really high-risk game. When he played under-20s, there was a lot of big risk in his game and the reward is always there. And we talked about it when he came up and he adjusted that. He still did his big things out there and the crowd loved him but he took down the risk level and when it wasn’t there, he didn’t take it. That’s what I like most about him. And he could handle the physical game. When he’s not ready for a hit, he’s on his ass. But if he’s ready for a battle, he’s pretty strong actually. He’s got a low balance. I think he can have a really good year (next) year.”
And here’s HV71 general manager Peter Ekelund on Andrae:
“Emil was not nervous at all. He likes to keep the puck and he kept playing the way he played in juniors, even when he came up to the SHL. And even if he made some mistakes, he didn’t change his game. He did what he was good at.”

Last edited:

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
An undersized Swedish defenceman, Emil Andrae has put up 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points in 40 games playing for HV71’s team in the J20 Superelite league this season. It was the most points in the J20 league by a defenceman. He has also gotten his feet wet, playing 10 games in the SHL, but has yet to record a point in the men’s league. Emil also played two games with the J18, scoring four points, and one playoff game, scoring two points. Last season, Andrae scored 26 points in 28 games in the J18 league, as well as three points in five playoff games. He added seven points in 23 games in the J20.

Andrae has shown his skills on the international stage, scoring four points in five games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and picking up a bronze medal. Overall, he played 13 games for the Under-18 Swedish Team, picking up 12 points. He also picked up a bronze medal at last year’s Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring three points in six games. Andrae was an alternate captain for the team as well. He played 17 total games for the Under-17 team scoring four goals and 10 points.

Emil Andrae Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #43 - Last Word on Hockey

Reactions: LorneMalvo

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
What a disgraceful pick, absolute nightmare selection. Fire Fletcher, Fire Gritty, Fire Giroux, Fire the sound man.

Burn the house down.

Reactions: Curufinwe

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This is definitely not a typical flyers pick, an undersized European dman.

Don't know what else to make of it, at least they didn't take a slug.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
More from FC Hockey:
Best in SWEDEN
SKATING
DS: Emil Andre, D, HV71 J20
“(Andre) is an elusive skater and offensive-minded defenseman.
He’s very smooth on skates, displaying excellent
edge work and great overall movement”

PUCKHANDLING
FH: Emil Andre, D, HV71 J20
“Andrae has fantastic patience and self-confidence with
the puck. He loves to challenge the opponents and is a great
asset to the team in many offensive situations.”

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I am not a fan. Small with average to a little above average skating worries me. That said, he has good skill, high IQ and compete. I just worry about his speed size combo.
Agile skater decent edges, but very average speed.
I hope I am wrong here. I know a lot of the draft "gurus" were pretty high on him.
I would have gone Robins or Foudy here, maybe Jurmo if I wanted a D

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah, he's a good pick. Size is his only issue. The rest of this game has minor blips but is top notch. You get 3 out of 4 hockey attributes. Size is the missing one, but he doesn't play small. Hope his talent in other areas is enough to overcome his size. If so, big upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->