Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So, a sort of sniper in the 1st and an undersized puck mover in the 2nd. Well, you can’t say the draft philosophies haven’t been tweaked. Flyers give no cares about skating either.

My concern would be: he looks pretty filled out. That’s a positive for his physical defensive game, and I am more than content with undersized skill players, and I’d gamble on this archetype. But especially for a defenseman, you need to be able to skate. At least be 4-way quick. Is he just a heavy skater or is there room for projectable improvement?

Will also be curious to see how Anton Johannesson vs. Emil Andre track. I have nothing to really evaluate, but you need to be correct on guys who play together.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

============================

Offensive defender headed to Philly

Emil Andrae - NHL Player Page

October 7, 2020
Andrae was drafted 54th overall by the Flyers at the 2020 NHL Entry Draft on Wednesday.

ANALYSIS
Andrae is another in a long line of undersized, offensive defensemen available in this draft. His creativity with the puck and ability to find open teammates make him an extremely intriguing long-term option for Philadelphia, but none of that will matter if Andrae's play in his own zone doesn't improve. He tends to get pushed off the puck by opposing forwards due to a lack of upper-body strength. And as it stands right now, he'd have to play sheltered minutes at even strength. Andrae will continue to develop with the HV71 program in his native Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad