Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 35: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ratcliffe will be 22 this season, that is not old for an oversized prospect. The idea that he's a bust right now is silly, if he doesn't make much progress this year, sure, things don't look good, but he's not an AHL lifer quite yet.

Once reason players get drafted later is because they're projects or need to get stronger or sharpen skills to be viable NHL players - and those players are going to take longer to arrive, if ever. But some will surprise.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
For me if a prospect has no conceivable path to an NHL job he's a bust.

In this case most prospects drafted by the flyers are busts the second they are drafted cause most of them will never have or will get a chance! :naughty:

I have no clue about Ratcliffe. I would like to have huge goal scoring forward in the lineup. But i dont know enough about his srate of development and skating to know if he is in a path to be a solid prospect anymore. Would like to hear updates from people with knowledge about him.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
I predict he becomes a legit contender for call up by end of year and regular spot next year. Likely 3rd or 4th liner. More a hunch than anything

Reactions: teddygmr

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I predict he becomes a legit contender for call up by end of year and regular spot next year. Likely 3rd or 4th liner. More a hunch than anything
I think he'll take a big step this season and work himself into the mix for call-ups. However, his professional tenure has been quite disappointing to date.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last year he was at least a passable AHL middle sixer from a two-way perspective. Better details from him even if still not great and some really glaring flaws at pro level.

2019-20 he was just sub-replacement AHL level. Could get points as he does have some skill, but lost everywhere else and struggled in tight areas.

Just has to make some big leaps and improve several things to be an NHLer.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Last year he was at least a passable AHL middle sixer from a two-way perspective. Better details from him even if still not great and some really glaring flaws at pro level.

2019-20 he was just sub-replacement AHL level. Could get points as he does have some skill, but lost everywhere else and struggled in tight areas.

Just has to make some big leaps and improve several things to be an NHLer.
You mean AHLer.....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seems to be playing better in the NHL than the AHL, as did York. His play to set up the 2nd goal yesterday was very nice.

Reactions: Devonator

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's always weird seeing players that barely showed anything in previous levels of hockey that they would be an NHL player. And Ratcliffe has been fine for the most part. Been moving his feet well.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd like to see what he is with PDO near 100 rather than 106.

He certainly has been more assertive than expected. Shame that'll be beaten out of him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, a lot of Phantoms' players have made marked improvements since December.

Wonder if it was a matter of the coaching staff getting them to buy into a more structured system and an emphasis on fundamentals, after the previous coaching regime. Gordon was the HC from 2015-2021. Kerry Huffman assistant coach from 2016-2021.

Riley Armstrong and Jason Smith are now the assistant coaches.

Armstrong, 36, was the first head coach for the new Maine Mariners of the ECHL and guided the team to a record of 69-58-7 in his two seasons at the helm. He also was promoted to assistant general manager for his second season with the team working alongside Mariners general manager Danny Briere. Armstrong had previously served as assistant coach of the Wheeling Nailers in the ECHL from 2016-18.

Smith, 47, is a veteran of over 1,000 NHL games. The rugged defenseman was captain of the Edmonton Oilers for five seasons and the Philadelphia Flyers for one year in 2007-08. He helped guide the Oilers in their surprising run to the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals. An assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators for two seasons from 2014-16, head coach of the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL for three years, and an associate coach with the Prince George Cougars of the WHL for the past two years.

As Macleish has pointed out, they're playing good fundamental hockey and have been more than competitive despite a roster with a half dozen ECHL caliber players.
Oct - Nov 3-10-5
14-9-1 since.

• Love
Reactions: captainpaxil

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
NCWGrXN.jpg

Aru09bs.jpg

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I always have questions about forwards this tall having enough coordination and hands to be an impact forward, but he has some pretty decent numbers for that kind of guy on an awful team.

They passed on Jason Robertson twice though. Hope the Flyers are right.
Thank you @Fire Fletcher for the like bump. They were not right. f***ing Hextall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad