Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 35: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Love it!!!! Fantastic player who played on a horrible Guelph club. Big dude, great hands, really good skater (can really fly for a big man) and is only going to fill out more. A little inconsistent, but such is the case with big players. He's going to be a real good one. Love it, love it, love it!!!!!

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Steep price to move up 9 spots, but like this player. Stood out in the games I watched for the combination of size and skating ability.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Love it!!!! Fantastic player who played on a horrible Guelph club. Big dude, great hands, really good skater (can really fly for a big man) and is only going to fill out more. A little inconsistent, but such is the case with big players. He's going to be a real good one. Love it, love it, love it!!!!!

Big and can skate?

I'm starting to notice a theme.........:sarcasm:

Steep price to move up 9 spots, but like this player. Stood out in the games I watched for the combination of size and skating ability.

There was likely a cliff coming soon. Had to jump up to squeeze in, and I think it's worth it considering how many picks we have.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Lot to give up but looks like most had him ranked as a first rounder

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One site's opinion:

Isaac Ratcliffe Strengths
•Isaac Ratcliffe has some extremely alluring qualities for NHL scouts. The first thing you notice is his size at 6’6, and he skates well, with good speed and acceleration. But he’s only now approaching the 200-pound mark. As he fills out, I don’t think we truly know how good he could be.

•Ratcliffe’s other best quality is his shot. He has an absolute rocket of a wrist shot, and I think he’s got big-time scoring potential. Once he’s able to add that aforementioned strength, he’ll be able to generate more scoring chances for himself as he can protect the puck better and look to be aggressive in driving the middle of the ice.

•He has the potential to be an excellent defensive player as well with his size and skating ability.

•Ratcliffe is a boom or bust prospect, but if he pans out, he could be the perfect complement to highly-skilled linemates as a hulking winger who can skate with them, clear room for them, and finish off their passes.

Isaac Ratcliffe Weaknesses
•As mentioned, his physical game is inconsistent and that’s an area of his game that will need to improve. Ditto for discipline. Anyone who watched the U18 tournament can tell you that he struggled with some lazy stick penalties. It was the same in Guelph, too.

•Playing for Guelph is a wildcard in itself. Because of how bad Guelph was at times this past season, Ratcliffe had a propensity to disappear at times. He went an entire month without scoring a goal later in the year.

•When Ratcliffe’s not scoring, that’s when the physical game and the cycle game really need to activate to make him more noticeable.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/06/12/isaac-ratcliffe-2017-nhl-draft-profile/

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Wow, sounds like we definitely got who we wanted at this pick and a lot of people were high on him. Since he already has his skating, size and shot down pat, this seems like a great pick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Absolutely love this pick. I would have been fine if they took him instead of Frost. <3 you Hexy

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
This is the effect of having a ton of picks. Target guys you have a lot higher on your list that are falling and move assets to get that player.

Based off what they gave up Ratcliffe was a 1st rounder in their eyes.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Quality over quantity is do-able when you have as many picks and prospects that we do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad