Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 35: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah, this is a pretty good pick. Color me impressed. Needed more LWs, should have gone earlier in the draft, held back by his team, another net front guy, and high IQ (seems to be the theme for the 1st three selections.) Probably a guy they liked, then realized he was falling to a spot they could reach, so they made it happen.

Needs to eat breakfast with Morin.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I always have questions about forwards this tall having enough coordination and hands to be an impact forward, but he has some pretty decent numbers for that kind of guy on an awful team.

They passed on Jason Robertson twice though. Hope the Flyers are right.

• Wow
Reactions: Fire Tortorella

SheasRebellion6

Jan 17, 2012
I mean when you look at the depth of our prospect pool, it seems pretty logical that we would start making moves like this.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

Comparison is Wayne Train, eh? I kind of had the same thought, but Simmer is so revered around here I don't want to say it.

Either way, he could eventually be a PP2 net front guy if Simmonds is still on the team, or a replacement if Simmonds isn't here (don't start this argument guys-- I used IF) and he has other aspects to his game. If he doesn't learn to use his size that would stink.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
NHL Draft Projection

Ratcliffe should go somewhere in the 25-40 range come draft night. Depends on which teams are there at the end of the first, beginning of the second. His combination of size and skill alone put him in the first-round discussion. A lottery team could take advantage if he falls out of the first round coupling him with a top prospect. Imagine New Jersey adding Ratcliffe to Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. I have him 32nd on my list, the first pick of day two.

http://thehockeywriters.com/isaac-ratcliffe-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Perfectly fine with this pick. This is a weak draft, so it is not needed to neccesary use all the picks, and if they feel that there's 1st round talent available in the 2nd round you move up for it. We were able to pay this price, no problem with amount of picks we have.

It will be very interesting to follow Ratcliffe's development.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Might as well take advantage of this draft, by getting what hexy and the scouts consider 3 first round picks. This guy is huge, mobile, has a cannon of a shot. With our defence and going all forwards here, so far, our team is gonna be fast,skilled and big.
I can see a few more trades, as hexy loads up for 2018.

SheasRebellion6

Jan 17, 2012
Also, when you break it down, we gave up 75, but pick 5 spots later at 80. We gave up 108, but that's only after we pick back-to-back at 106 and 107. Not too shabby.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Might as well take advantage of this draft, by getting what hexy and the scouts consider 3 first round picks. This guy is huge, mobile, has a cannon of a shot. With our defence and going all forwards here, so far, our team is gonna be fast,skilled and big.
I can see a few more trades, as hexy loads up for 2018.

This can't be understated. We have one of if not the best scouting team in the league and we just got three of their first round picks.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Rankings
THW Consensus: 38th

ISS Hockey: 20th

Future Considerations: 23rd

NHL CSS: 15th (NA)

Strengths
Soft hands
Good offensive hockey sense
Net front presence

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The traded picks seem like a fair deal, especially given our surplus this year. A third and a fourth and swapping a 2nd to move up 9 seems about right. Those picks in 3+ rounds are such a small likelihood of making an impact that this is a no brainier, especially given we have multiple in each of those rounds

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I love this pick. This is a kid who was projected be a first round pick by pretty much everyone. There is no way he was going to slide to 44. I was hoping for a LW with some upside and Ratcliffe (or Robertson would have as well) will fill that need big time.

As for the cost to move up and get him, I don't see it as being as high as some are suggesting. The Flyers still have a 3rd and two 4ths after moving the two picks. They also got a first round talent at 35, who wasn't going to be there at 44.

I hate the Schenn trade and think the Frost pick was a little questionable but obviously I love getting Patrick and I really like the move up/drafting of Ratcliffe.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Happy with this pick. A 6'6" player whose player comparable is Wayne Simmonds? Yes please.

I think Hextall has really killed it with his first 3 picks. The rest of the draft is gonna be a crapshoot but we got Patrick, another consensus teens/20's ranked player, and a high riser in Frost.

Love it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Comparison is Wayne Train, eh? I kind of had the same thought, but Simmer is so revered around here I don't want to say it.

Either way, he could eventually be a PP2 net front guy if Simmonds is still on the team, or a replacement if Simmonds isn't here (don't start this argument guys-- I used IF) and he has other aspects to his game. If he doesn't learn to use his size that would stink.

He compared his game to Rick Nash.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^

“I’m numb,” said Ratcliffe, adding he has known Flyers winger Travis Konecny for a while. “It’s going to be awesome.”

Ratcliffe said the draft was “unpredictable” and that he didn’t know if he would go in the first round Friday or slip into Saturday’s rounds.

“I’m just unbelievably proud and excited to say that I’m now a Flyer,” he said. “..It feels surreal.”

Ratcliffe said he needs to gain weight and get stronger “to get to the next level.”

Added Ratcliffe: “I believe I can be one of the top players in this draft with my size and with my talent and with my progress in the future.”

Ratcliffe said the Flyers were one of the first teams to interview him at the recent scouting combine in Buffalo. He has played left and right wing and center.

He said he tries to emulate Nash’s style.

“He’s a big guy like myself and I think he moves well,” he said. “He has that offensive instinct, but he can play well in the defensive zone.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...liffe-in-2nd-round-of-nhl-draft-20170624.html

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He's a gangly skater,, definitely not very fluid. I'm not sure he has the best hands, but my god can he snipe! He shoots just like Jeff Carter.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Quanity for quality. They must have liked him a lot.

Low risk move. A guy that big who can skate seems like a sure bet. In the worst case you get a big intimidating bottom 6 checker. In the best case...a Milan Lucic in the making.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I love this pick. This is a kid who was projected be a first round pick by pretty much everyone. There is no way he was going to slide to 44. I was hoping for a LW with some upside and Ratcliffe (or Robertson would have as well) will fill that need big time.

As for the cost to move up and get him, I don't see it as being as high as some are suggesting. The Flyers still have a 3rd and two 4ths after moving the two picks. They also got a first round talent at 35, who wasn't going to be there at 44.

I hate the Schenn trade and think the Frost pick was a little questionable but obviously I love getting Patrick and I really like the move up/drafting of Ratcliffe

With you on these points, however getting two 1st round picks with maybe a 3rd thrown in was to much to pass on. St Louis fans are going nuts with landing Brayden. I wish him nothing but the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad