GDT: Round 2 Game 5 Aves @ Sharkes | 5/4/19 8pm MT | Getting over the Hertl

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not saying he is untouchable. Just find it weird that the only player you called out by name in your post is the only skater that's done anything of value for us during this series. And has probably been the best player in the entire NHL during the playoffs. You do realize that without him we are probably bottom 5 team in the league. We aren't watching playoff hockey.

Calling out MacK is like saying the reason Edmonton sucks is because McDavid has mood swings and he isn't even keeled every night. Which if you've ever watched McDavid you'll know that he is a lot like MacKinnon when it comes to attitude, Lots of ups and downs. Same goes for Crosby. Hell look at Couture on the Sharks if you want an example from this series, he melts down every time something doesn't go his way.

MacK mood swings as you call them are literally the least of our concerns. Jeez if the guy doesn't carry us to victory every single night he gets ripped on for being too moody, it's just ridiculous.

Why not focus on something that is a real problem, like secondary scoring and the fact that we have like 5 regulars that have done nothing this entire playoffs season. That's a real problem. That's what is killing us in this series so far. Not MacK and his 1 game where he wasn't at his best.
Sorry I didn't know I had to follow the herd and post the 1000th post about how Kerfoot, Ghetto, Brassard, EJ, Cole, etc all suck. Here we go...They all suck. Done.

Again so because he is a top player and he is "carrying us" we can't say something negative about him? I never said Mack's one bad game killed us. Only said the top line didn't play well but attributed that to the Sharks playing them very well. However his "mood swings" has been going on for quite a while now and I don't think it is a good look on him.

I really don't get why you are making such a big deal of a one-line comment. Sorry I "attacked" your boy. I'll go rejoined the herd.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Sorry I didn't know I had to follow the herd and post the 1000th post about how Kerfoot, Ghetto, Brassard, EJ, Cole, etc all suck. Here we go...They all suck. Done.

Again so because he is a top player and he is "carrying us" we can't say something negative about him? I never said Mack's one bad game killed us. Only said the top line didn't play well but attributed that to the Sharks playing them very well. However his "mood swings" has been going on for quite a while now and I don't think it is a good look on him.

I really don't get why you are making such a big deal of a one-line comment. Sorry I "attacked" your boy. I'll go rejoined the herd.

Mack had a less than stellar game, but we didn't adjust to it very well.

If Mack is being hounded, that frees up his linemates to pick up the slack.

Rantanen tried, but couldn't get his shots through.

If Rantanen or Landy puts a goal in last night, no one is talking about MacKinnon today.

Also, the chemistry of MacKinnon and Makar looks promising.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ya, it's weird because we lost and it looks kinda bad, but obviously everyone is happy and probably surprised by the fact that we're still playing. I'll say it again, they're still playing and it's the fifth of May. So if this is it, oh well, we already thought so.

But I can't say that I've felt this way about a hockey team before. I don't know if you old-timers did, but every time I've seen a hockey team do well and fall short, it's been a clear disappointment (by the NT or Finnish league club). This time around I'll just be happy about it.
Hard to be disappointed or upset with this team. They arent really supposed to be here so its been rather enjoyable to be able to watch them play in May. Its nothing like the 98' or 03' teams. Those teams pissed me off.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
MacKinnon is very emotional and sometimes lets that get the better of him. Personally, I don't have an issue with it since it's all because of how competitive he is and 95% of the time it works in the Avs favour. I know Sportsnet loved showing how frustrated he was last night but who cares. I have no doubt he'll bounce back like he always does.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
MacKinnon is very emotional and sometimes lets that get the better of him. Personally, I don't have an issue with it since it's all because of how competitive he is and 95% of the time it works in the Avs favour. I know Sportsnet loved showing how frustrated he was last night but who cares. I have no doubt he'll bounce back like he always does.
Yah it doesn't worry or bother me on the slightest.

The pundits bring it up, because MacKinnon is the star of the series, and they need to fill 10 minutes during intermission.

I would bet my life that you can find tapes of Kelly Hrudey losing his mind when he played.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yah it doesn't worry or bother me on the slightest.

The pundits bring it up, because MacKinnon is the star of the series, and they need to fill 10 minutes during intermission.

I would bet my life that you can find tapes of Kelly Hrudey losing his mind when he played.
It doesn't really worry me either. I just wish he would take that out of his game. It's not a good look from a player his caliber. My comment is just being blown out of proportion. It was just a simple comment about something I personally don't like seeing. As long as it doesn't affect his play it's fine unfortunately I think it does sometimes. Again I don't want him to lose the passion he has. That passion makes him what he is IMO.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
NBC was driving me nuts focusing on MacKinnon slamming the door all night. He’s obviously an emotional player, and it’s what drives him to dominate most of the time. He’s going to have an off night here and there, but to say his attitude is a problem is just a ridiculous statement. I’ve seen McDavid have similar games as well, it’s nothing new.

I think MacKinnon has a monster game on a Monday.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
There is no way MacKinnon is going to let the season end tomorrow night. The Sharks will be going back to San Jose, for game 7, with the sinking feeling that they are on the brink of once again choking in the playoffs. This will put the Avs in the driver seat for game 7.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
NBC was driving me nuts focusing on MacKinnon slamming the door all night. He’s obviously an emotional player, and it’s what drives him to dominate most of the time. He’s going to have an off night here and there, but to say his attitude is a problem is just a ridiculous statement. I’ve seen McDavid have similar games as well, it’s nothing new.

I think MacKinnon has a monster game on a Monday.
Yup.. This league has so many dinosaurs everywhere. God forbid a player shows some emotion, if the media had their way every player would be Toews and banish all Subbans.

Reactions: ibengals

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
It's going to be immensely difficult to win an elimination game against San Jose. If they do figure it out and win game 6, I fully believe the Avs will go back to California and end San Jose's season.

Sharks fan here...and I agree with that. San Jose pulled off a miracle in game 7 against Vegas. Up until that point, they were being outplayed badly in a home ice game 7. So, heres hoping they win game 6 in Denver :)

Either way, congrats on a good season for the Av’s.

Reactions: nightonthesun

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Sharks fan here...and I agree with that. San Jose pulled off a miracle in game 7 against Vegas. Up until that point, they were being outplayed badly in a home ice game 7. So, heres hoping they win game 6 in Denver :)

Either way, congrats on a good season for the Av’s.
The season isn't over

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

Good to know. FYI, the Warriors & Giants will always suck up viewership here. We’re forever overshadowed by them. :help:

Solid series so far. Who knows how it will all end. This playoffs has been incredibly unpredictable.

That said, you guys got a good foundation to build off. If it all ends tomorrow I’d be excited as a Avs fan moving forward.

Happy Sunday!

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Well, when you predict "Avs in 7", that means the Avs are gonna lose 3 games as a result of getting outplayed. Happened last night.

This what makes the SCPs so great - from night to night you never know what you're gonna get. San Jose is a very good team. They're gonna play better in their own barn. Avs still damn-near stole it anyway.

Avs win tomorrow, GA-RUN-TEED. And once you get it to Game 7 anything can happen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Apologies for failing to produce the GDT folks. :oops:

Anyhow, pretty lackluster effort all around for the Avs. They just weren't moving the puck or themselves with any sort of urgency or authority. I guess the energy, defense, speed, and leadership Matt Calvert provides that lineup is something they can't do without. I thought his replacement, Andrighetto, was pretty bad last night. The fourth line got caught out for a very, very bad and extended shift, it was only a matter of time before they scored.

Oh well, we will see if there's any fight left come Monday. If not, I'm still quite happy that they even got this far. San Jose is just a really, really good team and for the first time possibly all year, they're finally getting consistent goaltending.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With Barrie on the ice.......

Games 1-2: 58% CF%, 34 SCF, and 14 HDCF. He put up 3 points and 7 SOG.

Games 3-5: 38% CF%, 18 SCF, and 7 HDCF. He put up 0 points and 3 SOG.

Barrie's just one of five players on the ice so a lot more goes into it than just his individual play but I don't think anyone can watch him the last three games and say he's playing well. Regardless of whether it's his own doing and/or how the Sharks are playing with him on the ice, he has to breakthrough for the Avs to win this series.

That's just 5-on-5 too and doesn't account for how much he and the others on the top unit have struggled on the PP in the series. If he doesn't have it early in game six, I wouldn't be opposed to Makar getting a lot more ice time.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That's just 5-on-5 too and doesn't account for how much he and the others on the top unit have struggled on the PP in the series. If he doesn't have it early in game six, I wouldn't be opposed to Makar getting a lot more ice time.

Makar isn't ready yet. Next season he'll develop into the #1 D

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I distinctly remember a game in the NBA finals where Michael Jordan yelled at Pippen during a timeout because Pippen took a shot when MJ was open. I thought it was hilarious at the time because Pippen made a 3 and Jordan was inside the line.

Not that I'm comparing MacK to MJ, but slamming a door shut doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me (but I missed that in the game). That happens pretty regularly in hockey.

Star player wants to win and is competitive. More at 11. It doesn't become a problem in my eyes until he starts throwing players under the bus to the media.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
With all due respect, As someone who has to watch 82 games of the Vancouver Canucks gongshow ( minus a few studs)

I find that comment you made about Colorado avalanche, remarkably ridiculous.

The Colorado avalanche at the beginning of the year we’re not even supposed to make the playoffs, yet they did

They were absolutely not supposed to win in the first round, yet they did.

They were absolutely not supposed to touch the San Jose Sharks, yet they won 2 games.

This Colorado avalanche team is far from a joke, they are playing ridiculously good, and they are without a shadow of a doubt underdogs yet I can easily see them coming back and beating the San Jose Sharks.

Don’t lose faith in your hockey team, sometimes it’s frustrating as a fan, but in the end, It usually works out.

Just my two cents

:thumbu: & :thumbu:

Reactions: Avspatti13

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Apologies for failing to produce the GDT folks. :oops:

Anyhow, pretty lackluster effort all around for the Avs. They just weren't moving the puck or themselves with any sort of urgency or authority. I guess the energy, defense, speed, and leadership Matt Calvert provides that lineup is something they can't do without. I thought his replacement, Andrighetto, was pretty bad last night. The fourth line got caught out for a very, very bad and extended shift, it was only a matter of time before they scored.

Oh well, we will see if there's any fight left come Monday. If not, I'm still quite happy that they even got this far. San Jose is just a really, really good team and for the first time possibly all year, they're finally getting consistent goaltending.

Unacceptable, it caused me to make a GDT, which was an auto loss, you’re fired :sarcasm:

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
It doesn't really worry me either. I just wish he would take that out of his game. It's not a good look from a player his caliber. My comment is just being blown out of proportion. It was just a simple comment about something I personally don't like seeing. As long as it doesn't affect his play it's fine unfortunately I think it does sometimes. Again I don't want him to lose the passion he has. That passion makes him what he is IMO.

Emotions from any player, MacK or anyone.. for sure. N.P. there. It is when any player incl. MackK stop skating and pout beyond 1/100th of a second. Yeah, media loves to focus in on stuff like that. But ya know who also focuses in on these moments in time? The other team. Blood in the water.

Stop moving your feet? Not good. Stop moving your feet because of emotions? Way not good.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Emotions from any player, MacK or anyone.. for sure. N.P. there. It is when any player incl. MackK stop skating and pout beyond 1/100th of a second. Yeah, media loves to focus in on stuff like that. But ya know who also focuses in on these moments in time? The other team. Blood in the water.

Stop moving your feet? Not good. Stop moving your feet because of emotions? Way not good.
He doesn't really skate hard without the puck regardless of his mood.

Reactions: drhiii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad