GDT: Round 2, Game 4: Avs vs Sharks | 8 PM MT | May 2, 2019 | Too Much Tuna

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm pretty sure he ripped a one-timer wide in the previous game. They're just not giving him the lanes that Calgary did. I think he's okay. He didn't hesistate to throw his body around along the boards last night.

HOWEVER...I do think something's bothering Landeskog. Something about him seems off. He's not quite as strong on pucks as usual, not moving with the same speed, and at times seemed a bit hesitant to get into board battles (except near the end there with that one Sharks player...Meier?). He still turned in a good effort last night but I just don't think he's 100% right now.
Landeskog is always banged up. He is well on his way up the Andrewladder.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Wow, what a game!

I had to leave for work with 3 minutes left of the 2nd period and staying away from news/social media throughout the day was haaaard :laugh:

Just finished it and want to say this is why we have players like Calvert and Nieto on the roster! Amazing work by them. Playoff-nutzos!

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Let's be honest, they got shafted by the refs last night, not that i care, but they are right to be pissed off.

I dunno, I seem to recall TWO blatant high sticks to our guys' heads and a blatant TRIP by Erik Karlsson in Game #3 that were not called. It's strange that if the same thing happens to Ian Cole, he 100% gets the call but if it's EK he doesn't for the simple matter of 'who he is'. Those are the worst kind of refs...just call the f***ing game down the middle.

There have been missed calls on both sides. One thing is for sure, our PK better be on point for Game #5 because I don't see the refs doing the Avs any favors at all.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The only thing I did not like about last night in regards to reffing was the leeway Brent Burns was given on some of his late hits in the 3rd.

Mackinnon mentioned it to Pierre, but they stuck to their game plan. Dump and chase to wear down the 4 d they do play, and get shots on net. I have a feeling Game 5 will be the last game without Pavelski so if the Avs can steal it that would be excellent.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What a win by the Avs last night truly amazing.

Many of you probably wonder how I became an Avs fan in Michigan well both of my parents are from the Denver area my dad from Golden, and mom from Westminster. They were Broncos season ticket holders. They also went to many Rockies and Avs games. They're the epitome of Denver sports fans. Anyway my mom passed away this past November due to a battle with cancer and it's been very hard for me these past few months. But watching the Avs make this run has been so amazing for me to watch and I know my mom is enjoying every second of it just like me. She really loved her Denver sports teams and seeing the Avs do this has just been the best thing for me.
Not really....... :sarcasm:

On a serious not...sorry to hear about your mom. I had to go through that with both my mom and my dad within 10 months of each others a few years back. So I know how you might be feeling. Hang it there. It gets better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I dunno, I seem to recall TWO blatant high sticks to our guys' heads and a blatant TRIP by Erik Karlsson in Game #3 that were not called. It's strange that if the same thing happens to Ian Cole, he 100% gets the call but if it's EK he doesn't for the simple matter of 'who he is'. Those are the worst kind of refs...just call the ****ing game down the middle.

There have been missed calls on both sides. One thing is for sure, our PK better be on point for Game #5 because I don't see the refs doing the Avs any favors at all.
This is kind of my standpoint. Both teams have gotten some calls, and been on the end of some bad ones.

I will say I don't feel like there had been any game changing calls in the series. So at least there is that.

No matter what the losing team and it's fans are going to feel jobbed by the refs. After game 3 I was pissed that I felt there were 3-4 obvious calls that were missed. It didn't cost is the game, but it might have altered the game.

I'm sure SJ fans feel like they got the shaft last night. I don't feel like it was too bad, but I'm sure they feel otherwise.

That's just playoff hockey, every call or non call gets magnified, one side is always going to end up feeling shafted.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I dunno, I seem to recall TWO blatant high sticks to our guys' heads and a blatant TRIP by Erik Karlsson in Game #3 that were not called. It's strange that if the same thing happens to Ian Cole, he 100% gets the call but if it's EK he doesn't for the simple matter of 'who he is'. Those are the worst kind of refs...just call the ****ing game down the middle.

I was talking about game 4 especifically.

Refs miss calls all the time, but the one on Calvert was pretty obvious, the Sharks should have gone on a 5v3 for almost two minutes. Not only they didn't get the 5v3, but they also had a penalty called against them seconds latter.

If it was the other way around and we lost the game, we'd have some posters here still talking about it today.

Reactions: MacBradley

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Ppl were ****ting on him all year but he’s the exact type of guy you need on your team this time of year

I don’t think anyone was shitting on him, he might not be coming up on the score sheet often but clearly his drive and work ethic don’t go unnoticed every single night

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What a win by the Avs last night truly amazing.

Many of you probably wonder how I became an Avs fan in Michigan well both of my parents are from the Denver area my dad from Golden, and mom from Westminster. They were Broncos season ticket holders. They also went to many Rockies and Avs games. They're the epitome of Denver sports fans. Anyway my mom passed away this past November due to a battle with cancer and it's been very hard for me these past few months. But watching the Avs make this run has been so amazing for me to watch and I know my mom is enjoying every second of it just like me. She really loved her Denver sports teams and seeing the Avs do this has just been the best thing for me.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad the Avs are brightening some very dark days in a small way for you.

My old man still lives in Golden in our family home, so that town will always be special to me. I highly recommend people visit if ever they're in the area. It's changed a LOT since I moved away over a decade ago.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Man I have to stop checking out the main forum GDT, shark fans are really the worst

It really just sounds like an 8 year old kicking a wall.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sharks shouldn't even be in this round andyes they are slow , I didn't even expect a tough series really , the layoff gave the Avs too much to think about and they came out rusty 1st game , nerves 2nd game . We are winning the Cup .

Without that terrible stretch of hockey for 2 months Avs were the best team in the league and would have won the west. Signing Makar showed that Joe believed in this team as well .
Hi Sea Eagles. We all see you.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I can't figure this team out. But love that they're making it a series rather than rolling over and playing dead.

The guys the team tried to bring in all those years like Iggy, Beauch and so on to be playoff guys are finally here in Cole, Calvert and Wilson. Headaches at times, but they're helping this team out so much right now.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I can't figure this team out. But love that they're making it a series rather than rolling over and playing dead.

The guys the team tried to bring in all those years like Iggy, Beauch and so on to be playoff guys are finally here in Cole, Calvert and Wilson. Headaches at times, but they're helping this team out so much right now.

It's like they're doing their f***ing jobs...

Reactions: Steerpike

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is kind of my standpoint. Both teams have gotten some calls, and been on the end of some bad ones.

I will say I don't feel like there had been any game changing calls in the series. So at least there is that.

No matter what the losing team and it's fans are going to feel jobbed by the refs. After game 3 I was pissed that I felt there were 3-4 obvious calls that were missed. It didn't cost is the game, but it might have altered the game.

I'm sure SJ fans feel like they got the shaft last night. I don't feel like it was too bad, but I'm sure they feel otherwise.

That's just playoff hockey, every call or non call gets magnified, one side is always going to end up feeling shafted.
Sharks got away with a high stick on Makar, a puck over glass penalty and a bunch of extra stuff that went unpunished last night but that happens. If Karlsson lost the puck and the Avs went back on a short handed chance on that PK then I can almost guarantee the refs blew it down. Karlssons own fault for being so skilled that he can get tripped and hold onto the puck haha jk. Sharks have a legit beef on that play imo. I agree the refs have been bad/inconsistent on both sides this series but fortunately so far it hasn't won or loss either team a game yet.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Calvert and Wilson have been pretty damn good these playoffs. Cole has his moments and then he has Zanonitis like last night. Two unforced icings. Normally I wouldn't care but when our team cant win a draw its problematic.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Sharks got away with a high stick on Makar, a puck over glass penalty and a bunch of extra stuff that went unpunished last night but that happens. If Karlsson lost the puck and the Avs went back on a short handed chance on that PK then I can almost guarantee the refs blew it down. Karlssons own fault for being so skilled that he can get tripped and hold onto the puck haha jk. Sharks have a legit beef on that play imo. I agree the refs have been bad/inconsistent on both sides this series but fortunately so far it hasn't won or loss either team a game yet.
I thought Karlsson dove. On the replay you see the contact he takes another stride and a half before he decides to try and sell it.

Do you honestly think MacK would have gone down in the same situation with that little of contact. The answer is, no way. He tried to sell it to get a 5 on 3. The refs didn't bite.

If Sharks fans want to be mad at that, that's fine. I'd probably yelled at the TV if the roles were reversed.

Either way like you said they they got away with other stuff earlier on that wasn't punished. Each team is getting some good some bad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh, yes, the refs missed a blatant trip by Calvert, even he thought he was going to be called for it. But I don't think the Sharks have too many legs/fins to stand on since they've benefited from a few calls or missed calls in this series.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto

I think the problem is the Avs have just enough talent (especially high end talent) and are (this hurts me to say this but I will gladly eat crow) well coached so they can compete with any team. They just don't have the forward depth to roll over other well coached, depth filled teams like the Sharks.

I do seriously believe the Avs could beat any of the 7 remaining teams in a 7 game game series, but it won't be easy. Especially since they will need to win at least 1 more in San Jose

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad the Avs are brightening some very dark days in a small way for you.

My old man still lives in Golden in our family home, so that town will always be special to me. I highly recommend people visit if ever they're in the area. It's changed a LOT since I moved away over a decade ago.
It’s been awhile since I’ve been back in the Denver area. We used to visit a lot when I was younger. I was supposed to be there for the Stadium Series game a few years back but things didn’t workout like they were supposed to. When I’m done with college here in a couple years I might just move out there. I was born here in Michigan but I think it’d be cool to move out there and experience what my parents did when they lived out there.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the problem is the Avs have just enough talent (especially high end talent) and are (this hurts me to say this but I will gladly eat crow) well coached so they can compete with any team. They just don't have the forward depth to roll over other well coached, depth filled teams like the Sharks.

I do seriously believe the Avs could beat any of the 7 remaining teams in a 7 game game series, but it won't be easy. Especially since they will need to win at least 1 more in San Jose

If the Avs had a solid (doesn't even have to be great) #2C, I think they could take the Sharks. This run makes me wish even more that the Avs should have been more aggressive in shoring up that spot.

Reactions: cgf

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
I don’t think anyone was ****ting on him, he might not be coming up on the score sheet often but clearly his drive and work ethic don’t go unnoticed every single night
People were 100% bagging on Calvert. Some people have even gone so far as to say that it was a mistake to sign him and let Comeau go.

Reactions: Avs71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad