GDT: Round 2, Game 4: Avs vs Sharks | 8 PM MT | May 2, 2019 | Too Much Tuna

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Girard to Makar to Rantanen to MacKinnon.

s-l300.jpg

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Just finished watching the game.

My 3 stars

Gru, obviously
Calvert, so dedicated
Nieto, so effective

Man, I’m so glad Bednar had the guts to bring G back, Nemeth was so good, but G is just getting it to another level.

Very glad with Z play, what a warrior, what a team guy first.

Also, don’t get the Jost love, Kerfoot is so frustrating to watch lose all the battles (he doesn’t even try), but Jost is so limited, he wants but he just can’t. Too bad.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I take solace in watching Makar play with the big club now. Seeing how good he is makes me think 'bring on #4 just get someone like Cale!'. In terms of Duchene, it was around the time of the trade that Mack went fully nuclear. To me we traded Dutchy for superhuman Mack, Sammy, and possibly a prospect as good as Cale.
Remember remember the 5th of November. The Mackinnon era was born that night.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Just finished watching the game.

My 3 stars

Gru, obviously
Calvert, so dedicated
Nieto, so effective

Man, I’m so glad Bednar had the guts to bring G back, Nemeth was so good, but G is just getting it to another level.

Very glad with Z play, what a warrior, what a team guy first.

Also, don’t get the Jost love, Kerfoot is so frustrating to watch lose all the battles (he doesn’t even try), but Jost is so limited, he wants but he just can’t. Too bad.

Jost has nobody to create offense with, and isn't a line driver so he just makes good passes to Gork who loses it or Brass who does some lazy shit and the play dies. And when he's in a scoring position he never receives a pass.

Swap him with Kerfoot and he probably has a lot more points and capitalizes on the chances Kerfluff fans on because he actually has a decent wrister.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I love seeing Zadorov-Barrie on the ice, and then Girard-Makar jump over the boards. This must be how fans of teams with two top 6 lines feel. Just constant excitement on the ice.

Thought Zadorov was seriously good. He is the only defencemen the Avs have right now who is big enough to handle the large Sharks, but also be able to take a pass from his D partner and then move the puck up to the forwards. You can see he has a lot of confidence in himself right now. Listening to national broadcasts every night, I think this playoffs is a bit of a coming out party for him. His size, aggression, and demeanour make him very noticeable in the playoffs.

EJ played what now looks like should be his perfect game, and it’s probably because the Avs were leading. He was just getting rid of pucks quickly, and not trying to force plays which is usually his biggest issue. His body and play may be deteriorating but his willingness to block a shot at all costs seems to never wilt. Absolutely key in the dying moments of a game.

Girard-Makar are just silly. Sure, they get abused defensively but holy smokes. When this pairing is 23 years old, these guys will never even have to play defence. I don’t think the Avs are anywhere close to being tied with the Sharks without Makar.

Nieto, Calvert, and Bourque all brought a ton of energy. Bourque huge hits, Calvert always getting pucks into the zone, and Nieto’s speed wearing out the Sharks. Some great shifts by the 4th line too.

I hope Jost can grow the confidence he is showing in the playoffs into a consistent top-9, maybe even top-6 role next season.

Poor Soderberg. The guy is just lost right now. Didn’t think Compher did much either, but it’s hard to bag on anyway after a huge win.

Two things though, does Brassard ever hit the net with his shot? And can we get a count on how many times Kerfoot looked in disbelief he didn’t score? Every shot he takes he throws his head back wondering how he didn’t score. And the answer is because his shot is probably Junior A level. He gets to the right spots around the net constantly, but he has to have one of the worst shots a top-6 forward in the NHL has ever had.
Do they really get abused defensively? I don't know their fancy stats but I think both are looking very good defensively most of the time. Mistakes happen, of course, but usually I feel very relaxed when the two are on the ice and the puck is in our zone.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I completely agree. But its also incredibly encouraging to see what this team is doing with the roster they currently have. Obviously, things can play out differently year to year, but its certainly encouraging to see a team that's basically got 3 third lines is competing with the best the West has to offer.

Do we know that Joe didn't try to add pieces? Maybe Skinner didn't want to be in CO? It seems like Hayes has a shot at coming here and we kept all the picks needed to continue building. D looks good, Goaltending seems to be shored up if they can keep Frank, building out the 2nd line seems like it won't be to hard and the team is already in the 2nd round and pushing a Sharks team that is much deeper, bigger and proven.
Stop it with your logic. Sakic sucks.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hah, seeing those names in Cyrillic is a kick. Wonder why they did everyone else's phoenetically and still added the extra letters on Rask's name?
There aren't any extra phonemes in that "Tyykka", that's just the way they should say it.

If anything, y'all should learn from this. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->