GDT: Round 2: Game 2 - Avs @ Fish - Here Fishy Fishy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is how I assume they’ll bring along the 2C they take at 4OA.

Could be a good way to do it if they can find someone to replace Landy on the top line that is not named Kerfoot..

i

:sarcasm:

Read my mind lol. You don't even need that sarcasm emoji IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I used the sarcasm emoji, because I’ll be stunned if Panarin winds up signing with Colorado. But, he certainly fits your offensive line driver pairing for Landy in that hypothetical.

Well someone has something coming that is much worse than surprise lol. I don't think I've ever wanted Dater to be right about something this bad in 20+ years.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If Sakic can't find a 2C this summer I'd be ok with trying Landy in that spot. Agree that we would need to find a good W for him though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Which is why part of me thinks Landy may make more sense as the #2C than some of the ideas that get thrown out. He'd need another forward who can drive offense with him though.

I think if they move anyone to center it would be Mikko. If he hadn't clicked so well with Nate last year, I wonder if they would have tried him there by now?

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I used the sarcasm emoji, because I’ll be stunned if Panarin winds up signing with Colorado. But, he certainly fits your offensive line driver pairing for Landy in that hypothetical.

Well the problem is that Panarin likes the Ocean. He likes to live next to the ocean. Some people just like that setting. They want to live next to the ocean.

Last edited:

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
Which is why part of me thinks Landy may make more sense as the #2C than some of the ideas that get thrown out. He'd need another forward who can drive offense with him though.
Do you think that's a plausible scenario? Like, say they went out and picked up another allstar winger and they wanted to roll two lines: Landy could serve as a legitimate #2C in the nhl? I'm not doubting the notion, just curious, hadn't really ever considered it.

Hench says Landy has more responsibilities than mack, but I'm wondering if it's not due in part, at least partially, to the synergy they have together? Mack covering for his deficiencies etc (and the more I think about it, I wonder if goes the other way too: Landy covering mack on D allows him to push the play up ice more)

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I

I would love more than anything to get Panarin on this team - would even outbid everyone else and give him McDavid money since we wouldn’t have to give anything up other than money to get him.

But it’s an absolute pipe dream and something that I feel like Dater is pushing to get more followers. I’ll even be shocked if we get a seat at the table. Hope I’m wrong but not falling for it...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One of Landy's best contributions is from the wing on the breakout. He sets up along the wall, slows the pace down, draws the opposition to him, and hits Nate with a pass in stride. Another is his ability to drive through checks along the wall to gain the O zone and maintain possession.

If he's playing center for Bednar, he's going to be the guy driving up the middle on the breakout, not the wall. I think this leads him to overhanding the puck, and skating into trouble areas because he can't use his strength as much. He has to use speed and stick handling more up the middle, which aren't his best attributes, though he's competent at both. Unless he's just playing a dump and chase style game, which is unlikely under Bednar.

Every time they separate him from Nate too, Nate is worse, and by extent the team is worse. He also helps Nate win face-offs, which isn't really a strength of his. IMO he should stay on the wing throughout his career. That's likely where he's best.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
One of Landy's best contributions is from the wing on the breakout. He sets up along the wall, slows the pace down, draws the opposition to him, and hits Nate with a pass in stride. Another is his ability to drive through checks along the wall to gain the O zone and maintain possession.

If he's playing center for Bednar, he's going to be the guy driving up the middle on the breakout, not the wall. I think this leads him to overhanding the puck, and skating into trouble areas because he can't use his strength as much. He has to use speed and stick handling more up the middle, which aren't his best attributes, though he's competent at both. Unless he's just playing a dump and chase style game, which is unlikely under Bednar.

Every time they separate him from Nate too, Nate is worse, and by extent the team is worse. He also helps Nate win face-offs, which isn't really a strength of his. IMO he should stay on the wing throughout his career. That's likely where he's best.

Yeah the role of a center is primarily to skate around and accomplish things near the center of the ice. The most important attributes being puck handling, skating, and playmaking.

The fact that Landeskog is an excellent 2 way winger who is good at faceoffs doesn't make him a center.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I still think Rantanen could learn. He certainly is good at dishing the puck and is a better puck carrier than landeskog. Not that Landy is bad at it.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

ryback89

Jan 19, 2013
Germany
Strange game yesterday (needed to watch it re-live thoose damn 1:30 am games)
Still at the second intermission I thought we might lose this game. So the win is even sweeter.
What I also need to say is how impressed I was at the interplay between Girard and Makar. It's unbelievable that both guys are only 20 years old and in most situations they play like veterans. They can be the beste defense pairing in the league for a decade.

Now lets go back to Denver and play there as dominant as we played in the first round versus Calgary.
Fortunately its now back to 4am faceoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
?

More like we pulled ourselves back onto level ground.

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, Historical Data | Hockey-Reference.com

79 teams have won after splitting the first two games on the road while 83 have lost.

(I'm normally okay with saying, we, instead of, the Avs, but ourselves feels very wrong)
Well we split on the road, and come home with the last change. We will get better match ups, and the home crowd is amazing.

I'm not sure what your issue is with "we" / "Avs" / "ourselves", but that sounds like a "you" problem.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

You definitely have a point. There really is no perfect solution outside of a trade. The problem is there is no obvious fit right now like when everyone knew ROR or someone like Ryjo was available.

Mikko seems to have committed himself mentally to being an offensive force, and honestly he has let the two-way part of his game slip quite a bit. I wasn't too happy about it until he broke out offensively. The way he produces now makes it way more worth it.

Lets just say I'd rather lose some of Landy's offense versus losing Mikko's. Moving either to center would probably result in lower production to an extent.

Do you think that's a plausible scenario? Like, say they went out and picked up another allstar winger and they wanted to roll two lines: Landy could serve as a legitimate #2C in the nhl? I'm not doubting the notion, just curious, hadn't really ever considered it.

Hench says Landy has more responsibilities than mack, but I'm wondering if it's not due in part, at least partially, to the synergy they have together? Mack covering for his deficiencies etc (and the more I think about it, I wonder if goes the other way too: Landy covering mack on D allows him to push the play up ice more)

Honestly I'm not sure how realistic it is, but in international competition Landy has been used as a shut down center before.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I prefer the Avs remain the underdog. I remember getting nervous when Barry Melrose picked the Avs to win out the West in 2001 and they struggled a bit in that 2nd round series against that ragtag Kings team, then he picked the Devils to win in the Final.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I prefer the Avs remain the underdog. I remember getting nervous when Barry Melrose picked the Avs to win out the West in 2001 and they struggled a bit in that 2nd round series against that ragtag Kings team, then he picked the Devils to win in the Final.

I still hate that dude. That was pretty much the only bad thing about being a bandwagon Tampa fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad