GDT: Round 2: Game 2 - Avs @ Fish - Here Fishy Fishy

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
It is difficult to imagine that the Avs would insert him in the lineup in the middle of the playoffs, but they did insert a rookie straight out of college into their lineup without hesitation.

It does seem like they are getting Kamenev ready. I wonder if he could replace a Brassard in the lineup.

I sometimes have the the impression that the Avs like certain young players within the organization and they want to give them a taste of the playoffs to further their development.

I don't think they should insert Kamenev in the lineup at all. Simply because he's going to be beyond rusty and will most likely be an even bigger detriment to the team then Brassard :eek2: because of it. Nemeth and Andrighetto are both better options than him.

Reactions: Steerpike

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why not trust your best guy to get it done? Yzerman or Sakic would have been out there to take the draw.

Sometimes its better not to try to outsmart yourself. That's how you end up with Gretzky watching on the pine as Bourque takes a shootout.

You're referring to Landy as the best faceoff guy though right? He's been their best guy the last two years, and was again last night. Went 11-6 on draws while Nate went 7-7.

Bednar's done a lot of great coaching in these playoffs, but that was a mistake to have Nate take that draw at the end.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't think they should insert Kamenev in the lineup at all. Simply because he's going to be beyond rusty and will most likely be an even bigger detriment to the team then Brassard :eek2: because of it. Nemeth and Andrighetto are both better options than him.
hqdefault.jpg

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Is there even a small reason to have Brassard in the lineup? He's soft, lazy, kills all offensive plays generated by Jost and doesn't forecheck like Gork.

Even if he's valuable to the locker room (which I highly doubt) his lackluster play as a vet brings back terrible memories of the Sacco and Roy era Avs.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Why not trust your best guy to get it done? Yzerman or Sakic would have been out there to take the draw.

Sometimes its better not to try to outsmart yourself. That's how you end up with Gretzky watching on the pine as Bourque takes a shootout.
Yzerman and Sakic were good at faceoffs. Mack is not. You are in the business of winning games especially in the playoffs. Mack already knows he is not trusted as much as Gabe to take faceoffs. If it hurts his feeling ...too bad. Get better at them and you'll be trusted with them. Simple as that.

Reactions: MarkT

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
The Sharks play a type of trap that forces the breakout to one side of the neutral zone and impacts the ability for the Avs to move with speed from blueline to blueline. When the Sharks are moving that trap, all their players move with the play in the same direction to flow the Avs the same direction.

Avs focused on trying to get the Sharks dmen to skate back against the grain just a little bit. Forced them to turn a smidge.

It wasn't much, but it opens up a bit more space in that trap.

Tx for this analysis. 'With speed' is what I wondered about. This one speed fits all attack out of the d-zone seems easily managed which has been a thing with the Avs. Skate fast, skate faster.. fast kilometers-per-hours as a tactic. Have oft felt managing the tempo of breakouts might be useful instead of constant high gear. Seems like when the Avs altered their go-fast tempo, things opened up instead of being speedy gonzales predictable. What do I know. Just have been really in to more understanding of the game... hence asking for analysis. tx

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Yzerman and Sakic were good at faceoffs. Mack is not. You are in the business of winning games especially in the playoffs. Mack already knows he is not trusted as much as Gabe to take faceoffs. If it hurts his feeling ...too bad. Get better at them and you'll be trusted with them. Simple as that.

I'd prefer he gets used to winning high pressure draws. MacK has improved many aspects of his game since being drafted. This is a wakeup call for him to get better at draws.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With how that line plays and the responsibilities of each player... Landy is really more of the center than MacK on that line. He mostly plays the center defensive role, he takes the more important faceoffs... the only wing spot Landy really holds on the line is on the breakout and that is when it is setup and not just flowing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
EJ hasn't been good, but the hate is a bit over the top right now. Beating the Sharks is going to require the Avs playing with a lot of pace to their game, and that isn't EJ's strength he's not a good enough skater or decision maker to play like that. If the Avs are going to win this series it will be Barrie, Girard, and Makar leading the way from the backend... and a lot will be on Barrie's shoulders alone.
Of course they have to play with pace, but to me that's not the problem. He's losing races to pucks that get dumped in, he's losing battles to players when he does actually win the race for a loose puck, he's shooting into shins/sticks over and over again, he's making poor decisions. Just not playing well whatsoever right now.

On an unrelated note, scratch Brassard and give Jost more ice time. Kid has more than earned it these playoffs.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
On an unrelated note, scratch Brassard and give Jost more ice time. Kid has more than earned it these playoffs.

I think Jost is carving out a solid role as 3C. I notice he rarely makes mistakes and plays decent D. Offense above 40-50 points a season is major gravy.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I know SJ fans kept bring up that in paticular like it had any bearing on tis series.

They also seem to think they got some trophy for keeping Crosby to 4 points in 6 games. It's been a few years but if I remember correctly, they only handed out two trophies in that series, and Crosby got to lift both of them...

Maybe their accomplishment should go on a banner.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Is there even a small reason to have Brassard in the lineup? He's soft, lazy, kills all offensive plays generated by Jost and doesn't forecheck like Gork.

Even if he's valuable to the locker room (which I highly doubt) his lackluster play as a vet brings back terrible memories of the Sacco and Roy era Avs.

Why vets never work with us?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'd prefer he gets used to winning high pressure draws. MacK has improved many aspects of his game since being drafted. This is a wakeup call for him to get better at draws.
There are way better times to get used to winning high pressure draws than a playoffs game...like a draw during the last minute of a regular season game, maybe even a divisional opponent but last night was not the right time. As hench says Landy is really the center on that line anyway and so much better at draws so why not let him take that very important one.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
They also seem to think they got some trophy for keeping Crosby to 4 points in 6 games. It's been a few years but if I remember correctly, they only handed out two trophies in that series, and Crosby got to lift both of them...

Maybe their accomplishment should go on a banner.
2 banners for holding Crosby pointless. Zero for cups.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With how that line plays and the responsibilities of each player... Landy is really more of the center than MacK on that line. He mostly plays the center defensive role, he takes the more important faceoffs... the only wing spot Landy really holds on the line is on the breakout and that is when it is setup and not just flowing.

Which is why part of me thinks Landy may make more sense as the #2C than some of the ideas that get thrown out. He'd need another forward who can drive offense with him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->