Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
St Louis is an insane mental competitor and he will absolutely not get initimidated. Some of their other guys? They are fair game.

There are plenty of juicy targets and low hanging fruit to go after before MSL.

Agreed.

The way to (sort of) neutralize him, is to play offense, and secondarily to control his line mates.

He's a playmaker first, though obviously he can score too, so if you take away his passing targets, then at least you know he's gonna shoot and you can deal with that reality.

If he has options, it's too hard.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
St Louis is an insane mental competitor and he will absolutely not get initimidated. Some of their other guys? They are fair game.

There are plenty of juicy targets and low hanging fruit to go after before MSL.

Bob did you watch the game last night?

I haven't seen you post your thoughts yet.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Penguins could have EASILY won last series. Rangers had EVERY bounce and break. Do not think for a second the Rangers are what you think they are. They are VERY beatable.

The Capitals have a MUCH stronger defense than what the Penguins put out on the ice and the Rangers do not control the puck at all. They just capitalize on odd man breaks.All in all score more than two goals a game and the Caps will win this in six.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
If caps are going to win this series imo they need to take down game 1 and plant the seed of doubt, just so its there.

Hit em with all you got out the gate.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bob did you watch the game last night?

I haven't seen you post your thoughts yet.

Yes every minute of it and I was thoroughly impressed by each and every player.

They were hungry, mentally tough and relentless. I did not expect that at all and came away quite impressed.

The Caps just didn't win the game they OWNED it and were not going to be denied.

That is the best game 7 they have ever played in their history from beginning to end (and I've watched or attended each and every single one and saw every single minute of each). I didn't think they had it in them tbh

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

They were hungry, mentally tough and relentless. I did not expect that at all and came away quite impressed.

The Caps just didn't win the game they OWNED it and were not going to be denied.

That is the best game 7 they have ever played in their history from beginning to end (and I've watched or attended each and every single one and saw every single minute of each). I didn't think they had it in them tbh

And I will say, this applies even Holtby. Obviously, the goal against was soft as butter, but our previous teams and goalies (even 70 himself last season) would have collapsed after that. To a man, they sucked it up and went back to work.

Only thing I want changed is their play with the lead. They had it so rarely in this series, that we didn't see the turtle a lot. And game 5 was such a blowout that it hardly mattered. But they need to play EXACTLY the same whether ahead, tied, or trailing.

It's weird since they were so dominant when scoring first all season, but once they do, they seem to go slack, whether by design or otherwise. That must stop.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
And I will say, this applies even Holtby. Obviously, the goal against was soft as butter, but our previous teams and goalies (even 70 himself last season) would have collapsed after that. To a man, they sucked it up and went back to work.

Only thing I want changed is their play with the lead. They had it so rarely in this series, that we didn't see the turtle a lot. And game 5 was such a blowout that it hardly mattered. But they need to play EXACTLY the same whether ahead, tied, or trailing.

It's weird since they were so dominant when scoring first all season, but once they do, they seem to go slack, whether by design or otherwise. That must stop.

I agree with all this. Yes good point about Holtby. He didn't meltdown or misplay a puck or anything behind the net.

I hate the turtle. I don't want to see it again but I believe I ask too much there.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

You should watch Barry's post game presser from yesterday. He talks about Caps history.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Punish their D. Game one should be an all out massacre of their D. Finish every check,

Yes. We have to come out and make a statement right at the drop of the puck. Ovi, Wilson, Orpik and the other big guys have to crush anyone in blue touching the puck right from the start.

I believe that some players on that Rangers team can be intimidated/bullied by our players.

ilovealistair

Apr 14, 2014
I agree that you should target their D and Girardi. They got away with a ****-ton of interference in the Pens series, so be warned.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
CDsmOxBXIAAI957.jpg

12:30 start Saturday? Well, that's a guaranteed loss.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
CDsmOxBXIAAI957.jpg

12:30 start Saturday? Well, that's a guaranteed loss.

Slightly different depending on who wins the TB/Det series, from the Caps website:

The following is the complete Capitals playoff television schedule for the Eastern Conference semifinal series versus the New York Rangers IF TAMPA BAY ADVANCES TO THE SECOND ROUND:

Date TIME (ET) #1 NY Rangers vs. #2 Washington Networks

Thursday, April 30 7:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Saturday, May 2 12:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBC, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Monday, May 4 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Wednesday, May 6 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

*Friday, May 8 7 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, TVA Sports

*Sunday, May 10 TBD NY Rangers at Washington TVA Sports

*Wednesday, May 13 TBD Washington at NY Rangers TVA Sports

The following is the complete Capitals playoff television schedule for the Eastern Conference semifinal series versus the New York Rangers IF DETROIT ADVANCES TO THE SECOND ROUND:

Date TIME (ET) #1 NY Rangers vs. #2 Washington Networks

Thursday, April 30 7:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Saturday, May 2 12:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBC, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Monday, May 4 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Wednesday, May 6 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

*Friday, May 8 7 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, TVA Sports

*Sunday, May 10 TBD NY Rangers at Washington TVA Sports

*Tuesday, May 12 TBD Washington at NY Rangers TVA Sports

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Attention NYC-area Caps fans: You may already know this, but if not:

A friend sent me this info. It's a bar where Caps fans gather. Just in case you want to be among friends... :)

Kelly's Sports Bar
12 Avenue A
NY, NY 10009
Between Houston and east 2nd street

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Our head to head matchup this year with Rags:

http://www.japersrink.com/2015/4/28/8500577/capitals-rangers-by-the-numbers

Ofcourse its a small sample of 4 games but throughout the season we have been a stronger possession team than NY and stronger yet in those 4 games.

We just have had below avg shooting and sub .900 goaltending. Not to mention a deficit of 1.5 PPO per game (19 PP for NY vs 13 for us)

Our special teams have been better too.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The Rangers are pretty good. However, I don't think they are some juggernaut that many of made them out to be. I expect a close series.

I find it odd that one of the main arguments against the Caps is that we "barely" beat the Islanders depleted D-corps. It's not like the Rangers throttled the likes of Rob Scuderi, Taylor Chorney, and Brian Dumoulin.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Our head to head matchup this year with Rags:

http://www.japersrink.com/2015/4/28/8500577/capitals-rangers-by-the-numbers

Ofcourse its a small sample of 4 games but throughout the season we have been a stronger possession team than NY and stronger yet in those 4 games.

We just have had below avg shooting and sub .900 goaltending. Not to mention a deficit of 1.5 PPO per game (19 PP for NY vs 13 for us)

Our special teams have been better too.

Statistics as Illumination?

I watched the last 3 games (missed the first one). The Rags were the better team, per the eye test....unfortunately.

But lets not count that....

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Attention NYC-area Caps fans: You may already know this, but if not:

A friend sent me this info. It's a bar where Caps fans gather. Just in case you want to be among friends... :)

Kelly's Sports Bar
12 Avenue A
NY, NY 10009
Between Houston and east 2nd street

Thanks man, i never knew about this place. Definitely going to check it our, game two on Saturday most likely, anybody else from HF BOARDS thinking of going?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Statistics as Illumination?

I watched the last 3 games (missed the first one). The Rags were the better team, per the eye test....unfortunately.

But lets not count that....

Sounds pretty subjective on your part Rids.

I saw it different and I watched all 4 games. The Rangers were better in game 1. I thought the Caps were better in game 2. Game 3 the Rangers were better in the 1st half and the caps dominated the 2nd half. The last game the Rangers scored on every chance they had but overall it was a fairly even game at evens. The rags got like 3 straight 3rd period PPs.

Overall it was pretty even. Holtby didn't come up big at all with the exception of the 1st half of game 3.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Sounds pretty subjective on your part Rids.

I saw it different and I watched all 4 games. The Rangers were better in game 1. I thought the Caps were better in game 2. Game 3 the Rangers were better in the 1st half and the caps dominated the 2nd half. The last game the Rangers scored on every chance they had but overall it was a fairly even game at evens. The rags got like 3 straight 3rd period PPs.

Overall it was pretty even. Holtby didn't come up big at all with the exception of the 1st half of game 3.

The Rangers crushed us in the 2nd game. We were coming off 3 or 4 days rest and they were playing their 3rd game in 5 days or somesuch. There was a lot of talk in the local media about that being a test game.

They didn't ice a full squad in the 4th meeting.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
So...if Fehr is good to go...line up?

Ovie - Backstrom - Ward
Mojo - Kuzy - Chimmer
Beagle - Fehr - Brouwer
Glencross - Laich - Wilson

Or Keep Burakovsky in there and scratch Glencross?

Ovie - Backstrom - Ward
Mojo - Kuzy - Chimmer
Laich - Fehr - Brouwer
Burakovsky - Beagle - Wilson

I kinda liked the 4th line last night as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad