Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I chose Caps in 6, as I am a fan, and I cant choose against them. Thats my heart talking.

My head tells me, repeatedly, that this is the one team I didnt want to face. I just dont see the Caps matching up well with the Rags. Even if some of the "other" posters want to act smug about this, it doesn't change the realities.

Only way to win, is to get a *lot* of complimentary scoring from guys like Ward, MaJo, Brouwer, Glencross, Beagle, Niskanen, Alzner and Laich. Each needs to score at least once. Then of course Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Green need to add points, as I worry Ovechkin will be neutured. Which is ok, its expected.

Finally, Caps will need to win all 3 at home, as I cant see any situation where they take 2 in NY. Best bet is to take one of the first 2....probably game 2, as the Rags win game 1 and the let down a little bit in game 2 (like they did v the Pens).

However, if this does indeed go 7, then of course they have a shot to beat the Rags in the one game take all. Anything can happen then.

Lets Go Caps!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I have read on an off that the Rangers are a fraud; a paper tiger. Unable to maintain their same shooting percentage, or whatever it was.

Advanced stats folks, hook up a guy that still likes our players to have a positive plus minus.

What do the advanced stats say about the Rongos? Thanks.

Caps were the better regular season team in both FF% and CF% at 5-on-5. Rangers were 19th and 20th in the league in each of those measures. They also led the league in PDO.

#fancystats don't look kindly upon the Rangers this season.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I chose Caps in 6, as I am a fan, and I cant choose against them. Thats my heart talking.

My head tells me, repeatedly, that this is the one team I didnt want to face. I just dont see the Caps matching up well with the Rags. Even if some of the "other" posters want to act smug about this, it doesn't change the realities.

Only way to win, is to get a *lot* of complimentary scoring from guys like Ward, MaJo, Brouwer, Glencross, Beagle, Niskanen, Alzner and Laich. Each needs to score at least once. Then of course Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Green need to add points, as I worry Ovechkin will be neutured. Which is ok, its expected.

Finally, Caps will need to win all 3 at home, as I cant see any situation where they take 2 in NY. Best bet is to take one of the first 2....probably game 2, as the Rags win game 1 and the let down a little bit in game 2 (like they did v the Pens).

However, if this does indeed go 7, then of course they have a shot to beat the Rags in the one game take all. Anything can happen then.

Lets Go Caps!

I believe in the power of rust. Caps have been a great road team all year. I think it might well be that the Caps' chances of victory are at their highest in game 1.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I imagine it is going to be won at home, so either Caps in 6 or Rangers in 7.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have read on an off that the Rangers are a fraud; a paper tiger. Unable to maintain their same shooting percentage, or whatever it was.

Advanced stats folks, hook up a guy that still likes our players to have a positive plus minus.

What do the advanced stats say about the Rongos? Thanks.

The Rangers are a near bottom 3rd possession team. Part of that can be attributed to score effects as the Rangers held leads alot.

Their shooting pctg and save pctg were pretty high and thus they were tops in the league in PDO for most of the year.

The Islanders were a superior possession team who outshot 61 of the 82 opponents they faced this year. The Caps outshot them in 4 of the 7 games in the playoffs.

Thing for me is that the Rangers (as a typical AV team) are more finesse oriented who "turns the other cheek". They aren't a big team and they aren't very physical. There is no Boyle, Callahan, Asham or those types on their team anymore. They do have Tanner Glass....take that for what its worth.

Caps lay the body on them (they are nowhere near as physical as the Isles) and over the course of the series they will break down...just like the Islanders did.

Caps need to play the intimidation game. Seems like all the Ranger fans wanted this match up based on how they fared against the Caps in the regular season. Playoffs are a different beast. The Caps got that 1st series out of the way and the psyche is intact.

Its going to be a battle of attrition with the bigger, nastier Caps team against a smaller fleeter Rangers team. Ranger fans may regret that they wished for this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't realize how much the Rangers were struggling to score. 8 goals in 4 wins vs Fleury and a depleted D.

absolutely. I don't think the rangers are going to find it easier to score on the capitals. if this is going to be another 2 pp per game combined series, I'd love to see how the rangers feels come game 4 or 5.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They dont have any of those kinda guys this time around. Great team...but theres a window there to punish that line up.
They have Tanner Glass!!!

But, yeah, they have nothing resembling the NYI fourth line at all. They are a deeper team from lines 1-3 compared to NYI but it's once again about Washington's forecheck and heaviness vs. their speed game. The Rangers are way more lethal in that regard throughout their lineup. They did a lot of bending but not breaking against Pittsburgh and answering via counter-punch.

Win or lose the first two games, the physicality needs to be there to begin the war of attrition. :yo:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
They have Tanner Glass!!!

But, yeah, they have nothing resembling the NYI fourth line at all. They are a deeper team from lines 1-3 compared to NYI but it's once again about Washington's forecheck and heaviness vs. their speed game. The Rangers are way more lethal in that regard throughout their lineup. They did a lot of bending but not breaking against Pittsburgh and answering via counter-punch.

Win or lose the first two games, the physicality needs to be there to begin the war of attrition. :yo:

No Zucarello torpedoes their depth in a big way. Nash is going to have to show up -but he won't.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I feel like St. Louis is one of those players you actually don't want to go after. I feel like that'll just make him better.

I can't help but like that guy. What a great player.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I mean, you know, a great career I guess.

Anyway, the point is I wouldn't want to do anything to like wake him up or whatever. Trying to pester someone else I think is better.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Rangers are very, very good, especially on D. And of course, Lundquist.

But the Caps can beat them. Not that different from the Isles in terms of approach.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Yandle is already playing hurt and can maybe be gotten to anyway so he's the first target.

Japers' Rink @JapersRink
RT @AGrossRecord: Keith Yandle has not practiced or participated in a morning skate since Game 2. Took hard hit into boards from Comeau in…

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I feel like St. Louis is one of those players you actually don't want to go after. I feel like that'll just make him better.

I can't help but like that guy. What a great player.

St Louis is an insane mental competitor and he will absolutely not get initimidated. Some of their other guys? They are fair game.

There are plenty of juicy targets and low hanging fruit to go after before MSL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00