Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Many rongo. Very NY. Wow.

The following is the complete Capitals playoff television schedule for the Eastern Conference semifinal series versus the New York Rangers IF TAMPA BAY ADVANCES TO THE SECOND ROUND:

Date TIME (ET) #1 NY Rangers vs. #2 Washington Networks

Thursday, April 30 7:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Saturday, May 2 12:30 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBC, Sportsnet, TVA Sports

Monday, May 4 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

Wednesday, May 6 7:30 p.m. NY Rangers at Washington NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports

*Friday, May 8 7 p.m. Washington at NY Rangers NBCSN, TVA Sports

*Sunday, May 10 TBD NY Rangers at Washington TVA Sports

*Wednesday, May 13 TBD Washington at NY Rangers TVA Sports

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Kreider and Hagelin are going to give us fits. Zucarello too if he plays, but I really doubt he comes back. Nash should have a huge target on him as he can be completely neutralized.

It would be really nice if someone could step up and have a ppg+ series.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Whoever controls the play and gets the other side to play their game will win. Caps need to take away their speed and make the game more physical. Rangers need to attack with speed and shy away from this physical stuff because they are much smaller team and Caps have lethal PP.

I would guess this goes to 7 again and atleast 6 games out of those are won by the team that scores the first goal of the game.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
You know who I wont miss in this series??

Callahan, Boyle, or Asham.

They dont have any of those kinda guys this time around. Great team...but theres a window there to punish that line up.

Edit: Forgot Dubinsky and Prust too.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Why even have this thread? I've been told this is a sure series loss. No point in discussing it...:sarcasm:

I thought Ovie was honed in last night. He was dealing passes all over the ice. They bracketed him and took away his shot, so he impacted the offense in other ways. For all the concerns we have about his health, he still put up 5 points in a low-scoring series.

The Caps of games 5 and 7 can certainly beat the Rangers. I have not been impressed with Yandle. He should be targeted along with Boyle and Klein.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Someone needs to get Stepan for that dirty chicken wing to Green a few years back. The Caps actually have the personnel to make that happen, although I fear the refs are going to interject themselves into this series.

They just need to play the game they showed in 5 and 7 and let the chips fall where they may. They can't afford any duds this time around.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I'll be honest. I think Ovechkin has a knee and a wrist injury. It's house money though at this point.

Definitely seems like the shot is off and he's not skating as well. Definitely glad the Caps got this done despite that.

That last game vs. Rangers in the regular season, I know the Caps won convincingly in the end. But the first period contained a lot of odd-man breaks that the Rangers just didn't convert.

After the brutality of this series, with Ovechkin possibly not a likely to score as usual, it's going to be difficult to keep up with a team like the Rangers I feel. Holtby standing on his head and not giving up any softies will be necessary, I'm pretty sure.

But, as things are, I'll give the Caps like a 38% chance or so.

But, y'know, if Caps win game 1, maybe catch the Rangers being a little rusty off their long break, then math suddenly puts the odds in our favor. That could easily happen.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Rags in 7, based on Ovi being injured/in a slump.

If Ovi snaps out of whatever is restraining him, he could turn the tables for us.
An injured Ovi is slower than usual, but still has a wicked shot and punishing physicality.

He shot one so hard from the top of the circle yesterday, it nearly bounced back in the slot off the glass.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I guess I just feel like the shot might be a little off in terms of inaccuracy.

Just watching on TV so what do I know. Just a feeling I got. I can't articulate a justification for it.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Caps had trouble mustering up any offense on the Isles subpar D, can't see them doing much to a deep Rags blueline.

Rags in 6.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Win 1st game somehow and it's a different series then.

Holtby needs to be better. No soft goals please. That's critical.

The best scenario would be to win 1st and then catch them on the counters in 2nd. 2-0 and 2 home games. I think we can do it.

What we have is a team, an effort, a defense, a goalie, couple of skilled forwards and many vet bottom-6-ers. To win a series Rangers first need to outplay us.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Underdog mode ON. This series against the rangers will be much easier to play. No pressure. No fear to lose. More passion and courage. Confidence strenghtening game by game. I'm sure we beat them. Just paradoxal truth.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Underdog mode ON. This series against the rangers will be much easier to play. No pressure. No fear to lose. More passion and courage. Confidence strenghtening game by game. I'm sure we beat them.

Absolutely. The Rangers are clearly the better team. I won't be ashamed if we lose in 7.
If we don't win at least one game at MSG, we're done.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
If they go in heavy in games one and two, they have a pretty good chance. If they play soft the way they did in game 6 of round one, they're doomed.

I think Rags in six is a pretty obvious choice, but I'd love to be wrong.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't think they get either of the first two at MSG, so they need to hold serve at Verizon Center. I think they drop Game 4 and NYR close it out at home in Game 5.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Same game plan as we used against the Isles. No reason we can't beat them if we play with the type of urgency we played in games 2, 5 and 7.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Is it true that game 1 can't be until Thursday at the earliest because the Wings game 7 is Wednesday? I know they used to wait until the whole round 1 was over before starting round 2.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Caps win going away. This Rangers team will be exposed as soft and will start to get frustrated when breaks don't go there way.

Caps PP comes to life and Caps PK stifles Rangers enemic PP.

More penalties are called in this series to keep it from getting too out of hand with the hitting. The NHL will not want any of the Caps or Rangers to go into the ECF significantly shorthanded.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have read on an off that the Rangers are a fraud; a paper tiger. Unable to maintain their same shooting percentage, or whatever it was.

Advanced stats folks, hook up a guy that still likes our players to have a positive plus minus.

What do the advanced stats say about the Rongos? Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad