Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Bura had a lot of shots but they were all forced shots from the outside. I think you're right though, the Pens less physical nature and less conservative game will give them more room.

I think we are as much to blame as Philly for everything being kept to the outside. I would have liked to see Bura and Kuz carry the puck away from the boards a bit, don't know if they were hampered by executive order or their own hesitancy.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
This series really is a chance for the current Capitals to write their own history. Beating the Penguins, decisively, would send a message to the rest of the NHL and would help bury a lot of playoff demons from years past.

There are other good teams but the Penguins are right up there. If they can get past the Pens I don't think the Bolts or Sharks or Blues or whoever else will be more of a challenge. And I just really want to see how Ovechkin would elevate his game in the ECF or SCF - hopefully we get a chance to see that this year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they will look better against the Pens than they did against the Flyers. They were forced to cycle on the outside. I can't remember Bura getting a shot on net. They will have more room to operate against the Pens who like to play a quick transition game.

The Flyers don't explain the disappearance of that line for a full 15 to 25 games. They either have not found the switch to flip or something else is at play. They may look fine but 40 shots and no goals = L. Same for that bunch. They can look good but without putting numbers on the scoreboard, they are not helping

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Flyers don't explain the disappearance of that line for a full 15 to 25 games. They either have not found the switch to flip or something else is at play. They may look fine but 40 shots and no goals = L. Same for that bunch. They can look good but without putting numbers on the scoreboard, they are not helping

I'm not saying they look fine or that the Flyers are responsible for the 2nd line being MIA. What I'm saying is that we can expect the 2nd line to perform better against the Pens. They should have more room to operate, the Pens don't collapse down low around their goaltender like the Flyers do.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Damn these Pens fans are so cocky. I would love nothing more than to shut them up by winning this series.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
They're different than before.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Malkin-Fehr
Kuhnackl-Cullen-Rust

The new Crosby line is about 10x better with Sheary on it than the older one with Kunitz. Sheary was making things happen every time he was on the ice vs the Rangers.

The Malkin line is the worst of the bunch in terms of possession. Just key in on Geno and that line is totally ineffective.

Should be fun guys and gals.
If you guys find your next gear, i see you advancing.

Friendly Penguins fan from DC Area. (I am going to be watching this game with my capitals friends. See we can all be friends.)

The Malkin line's role is more of a defensive one. It is based off of Malkin's play when we had HC Mike Johnston. Malkin's Defensive game drives the offense for that line or thats how it is supposed to work. Its not a total speed line. When HCMJ was coach Malkin bought in and was dominant (probably the only penguin to do that). So when Malkin came back our coach told him to do that. One of the thinks about our new coach is he maximizes everyones potential and not forcing people to play in a set system. So far it worked in the first series even though that line didn't rack up points. Malkin helps a lot on the PP though. Kunitz is old and slow but he can be physical. and you guys know Fehr.

This is going to be a great series. Just after the last game one team will be disappointed. But it will be fun to watch. Hopefully not to many heart attacks.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
What scares me as a Pens fan is that the Caps don't have to score a bunch of goals to win. The Pens do.

Caps do have the edge based on that alone. Hopefully it goes longer than 4.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Anyone care to dissect the Pens defence? That should make us feel good about ourselves.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The wait is pretty painful. oh well, at least i have a couple of somewhat important things to do like try and find somewhere to live and work to keep me busy. yikes.

But yes! No, to Radulov.

In the interest of boredom, heres a pic of me rocking the red at game 2.

2dsk56x.jpg

I dont even care if people on the internet see me anymore.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What scares me as a Pens fan is that the Caps don't have to score a bunch of goals to win. The Pens do.

Caps do have the edge based on that alone. Hopefully it goes longer than 4.

I agree with this line of thinking but I was told by Pens fans that there's no way the Caps will hold the Pens to 0 goals or 1 goal during any game in the series so I guess that settles that and you shouldn't be worried!

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
The wait is pretty painful. oh well, at least i have a couple of somewhat important things to do like try and find somewhere to live and work to keep me busy. yikes.

But yes! No, to Radulov.

2dsk56x.jpg

nice seats, how cheap were they ?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

But yes! No, to Radulov.

2dsk56x.jpg

Looking sharp with that Winter Classic Holtby jersey :handclap:

One day I will watch a game at the Verizon Centre too. Hopefully next season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's not clog the Pens series discussion thread with roster talk when we have a thread dedicated to that. Posts moved.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

But yes! No, to Radulov.

2dsk56x.jpg

Glad you got the full experience my man! Great seats :)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I've heard and read a possible series start on Thursday, but the 1st round of the NFL Draft is also on Thursday. Would the NHL really start their marquee 2nd round playoff series up against the NFL Draft?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I do expect the Pens will be faster and will have better execution.

My gut feeling is that to have a good chance of winning, Caps need:

1. Be able to really tax Penguins' D physically
2. Have 1-2 guys take their game to another level
3. Holtby to stand on his head.

(As you can see, not very original)

OK, at least two of these things.
Or, at the very least #3, and then Dale Hunter the **** out of this series :)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I've heard and read a possible series start on Thursday, but the 1st round of the NFL Draft is also on Thursday. Would the NHL really start their marquee 2nd round playoff series up against the NFL Draft?

Ya that's why I hope it's not on Thursday. I'll miss all the draft festivities.

Locker was on Junkies this morning saying it could be Sunday.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

dont really have a choice. verizon center is booked friday night

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I saw a tweet NBC has 3 games Sat and 2 on Sunday and one team will have to play B2B. I hope we don't get screwed as the top seed having to play b2b in the playoffs

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Looking back on past Caps/Pens series I just noticed that yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the 4 OT loss to the Pens in the '96 playoffs. Man, thinking back on how disappointing that loss was, and how late I stayed up to watch it, really pisses me off.

Also, Czabe brought up the "Fire on the Floor" series between the Caps and Pens today on his show. Anyone remember it? I don't. Something about the Civic Arena booked for something called "Fire on the Floor" and as a result the series was 1-2-2-1 with the home ice advantage Caps only getting game #1 at home to start the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad