Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For the love of God, we need to win this. No Kings, no Hawks out West, this is likely the best shot at the Cup the Caps will ever have. Blues exorcised their demons, time for us to do the same with the Pens.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
For the love of God, we need to win this. No Kings, no Hawks out West, this is likely the best shot at the Cup the Caps will ever have. Blues exorcised their demons, time for us to do the same with the Pens.

Completely agree. We will never have a better chance. Kind of reminds me of 98 when everything went our way (well except for Esa ****ing Tikkanen).

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I'm already tired of the same old recycled Ovechkin Crosby crap all over TV and its only been one day since we've found out we're playing them. I'm excited but I don't think it's going to be the 2009 series that they're hoping for.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm already tired of the same old recycled Ovechkin Crosby crap all over TV and its only been one day since we've found out we're playing them. I'm excited but I don't think it's going to be the 2009 series that they're hoping for.

I wouldn't care less if Crosby scored 15 points to Ovi's 0 in the series, if the Caps were the team to advance.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hawks out. Now I'm getting nervous. We have no team to be afraid of anymore. This is chokers year! And we are like the best chokers there are.

Bring on the Pens. We can do it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I do expect the Pens will be faster and will have better execution.

My gut feeling is that to have a good chance of winning, Caps need:

1. Be able to really tax Penguins' D physically
2. Have 1-2 guys take their game to another level
3. Holtby to stand on his head.

(As you can see, not very original)

OK, at least two of these things.
Or, at the very least #3, and then Dale Hunter the **** out of this series :)

This is doable.

Also, #1 and #3 will make their execution worse soon enough. We just need to keep it close like 2-2 after 4 games. Who needs those 3-1 leads? Win game 5, and then you have 2 games to close it out. That's a good plan.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
We really the 2nd line in this series. If they don't contribute much we'll be in trouble. Can't rely solely on the 1st line to produce. On top of that, even if Holtby plays good hockey, we can't expect to win every game 1-0 or 2-0 against this hot pens team.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Caps don't match up well with the Sharks and they will be as choking dog hungry, should both teams make it that far. TB would be tough as well, so more important just to focus on the task at hand first.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I learned something new this morning thanks to NHLN. The Penguins have more defensive depth than the Capitals. Letang is better than Carlson, Maatta and Niskanen are a wash, and Daley is just as good as Alzner. I can buy than Letang is more dynamic than Carlson, but saying Trevor Delay is the same as Karl Alzner? Give me a break.

That said the same guy pronounced Pietrangelo, "Peter-angelo," so maybe he just doesn't follow the NHL?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone care to elaborate on their point and click prediction?

I am think the Pens are all over us in the first 2 games, and we go down 2 zip. Rough games, with the Pens getting 2x as many PPs.

Barry figures out that stepping up his Dmen for hits is resulting in pucks going over their heads and interference calls, and plays it straight up. Caps come stormin' Norman back (read: coin flips) in defensive struggles playing a simple road game not playing to impress the ladies in the stands. Letang showing effects of 4 games of hitting, finally gets ejected with a high stick major.

5 and 6 are splits in 2-1 games as the series has evolved to a goaltender duel.

Game 7 - Murray has a meltdown after a great series with a couple early goals, and the hockey gods toss us a bone. The Pens finish with double the PPs in game 7. And double for the series.

**** ****sburg

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think the Pens are a better match up than the Flars. They're more wide open, they grind it less, and I don't think their goaltending is as good. They're essentially counting on Murray to pull a Cam Ward.

Screw the regular season results. Anyone remember what happened in the playoffs after we'd beat the Lightning 8 straight times in the regular season?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think the Pens are a better match up than the Flars. They're more wide open, they grind it less, and I don't think their goaltending is as good. They're essentially counting on Murray to pull a Cam Ward.

Screw the regular season results. Anyone remember what happened in the playoffs after we'd beat the Lightning 8 straight times in the regular season?

I agree. I also don't think Pittsburgh will be as patient as Philly was. Philly eventually was content to play a Torts-style game where they collapsed 5 guys in front of the goal and hoped to win 1-0 on a deflection off of a shin guard or a seeing eye puck from the point. Pittsburgh will not be willing to play that style. They will press and expect to score 3+ goals per game and will get frustrated if they can't. I don't see Sullivan making the same tactical changes as Hakstol if what they want to do doesn't work.

The Caps have to be own the neutral zone and be mindful of the Pens transition game. Pens have some speed but mostly are soft as butter. They also have a bunch of headcases that will throw tantrums if they're touched and don't get calls their way.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I learned something new this morning thanks to NHLN. The Penguins have more defensive depth than the Capitals. Letang is better than Carlson, Maatta and Niskanen are a wash, and Daley is just as good as Alzner. I can buy than Letang is more dynamic than Carlson, but saying Trevor Delay is the same as Karl Alzner? Give me a break.

That said the same guy pronounced Pietrangelo, "Peter-angelo," so maybe he just doesn't follow the NHL?

That was former NJ devil John MacLean that made those comments I believe...yeah I about spit my coffee out listening to that...I don't think he has done his due dilligence that he should be doing for his job...I think the network is bad about research for the analysts to. I got a good chuckle about the Daley/Alzner comparison.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

blues won a first round series. so, they won nothing. there are more demons than the one. all I see is a game v the lousy stinkin' penguins coming up and would like to see our boys win that. I am not going to look past that. doing so is asking for trouble

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This long layoff definelty helps our cause. The Pens are basically RIDING their hot streak, technically they are much worse than us. This forces their streak to cool off, while it allows us to reset from the physical Flyers series. Hockey Gods :) - ing on us.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Voting in the series thread on the playoff board is about 52/48 Pens favor.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If you read the main boards we shouldn't even play this series. 0 chance

oh relax, there are a few overly confident pens fans just as there are a few overly confident caps fans.

Most fans and media members agree these are two good teams and this should be a good, close series.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I just realized that I was drafted by you guys, so I went all in. You will surely be jinxed this round. Did I tell you guys my family is from Pittsburgh? Poor scouting.

I hope this series goes 7 games. Honestly I like the Caps more than Cindy and Flower anyway. :cheers:

If the Caps go to the SCF, I am so going. I don't care how much it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad