Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
If they smack this Pens crew in the mouth, and often...they can win this series. ****ing bring the body each and every night and punish the D core. The speed of their bottom six will be a tough matchup, but wearing them down will be a key to the series.

I hope Orpik gets back sooner rather than later.

Saw on Twitter that he skated today with Nemish. So I guess that's somewhat encouraging.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I didn't get to watch most of the game yesterday, but what was everyone's opinion on Weber vs Chorney?

Weber is from Pittsburgh and every game he plays against the Pens he's taking runs at Pens and spending a lot of time in the box. If you guys play him, someone will really need to rein him in or you'll be shorthanded a lot.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Make no mistake lost pens fan, we are going to be shorthanded quite a bit. I am sure you have seen the playoff shorthanded stats over the past 8 years.

Chorney seemed to lose his extra motivation after inking his 2 year contract. Weber, he always looks motivated.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't get to watch most of the game yesterday, but what was everyone's opinion on Weber vs Chorney?

Chorney.

Weber barely played, and did have one real nice play along the boards. However, Weber is (rightfully) far more conservative in terms of holding the offensive blueline, meaning shorter offensive possession. Additionally, right after his nice play, Weber got run around in his own zone for the rest of that shift. He was chasing the puck too much, and leaving the crease wide open. Oshie (who was forced to collapse into the low slot to cover the empty space) ended up saving his bacon with an excellent poke check to deny a A++ scoring chance.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Chorney for sure. Weber is half the skater Chorney is. Plus the Penguins let Chorney so you would have to think he's extra motivated.

Weber is from Pittsburgh and every game he plays against the Pens he's taking runs at Pens and spending a lot of time in the box. If you guys play him, someone will really need to rein him in or you'll be shorthanded a lot.

Chorney.

Weber barely played, and did have one real nice play along the boards. However, Weber is (rightfully) far more conservative in terms of holding the offensive blueline, meaning shorter offensive possession. Additionally, right after his nice play, Weber got run around in his own zone for the rest of that shift. He was chasing the puck too much, and leaving the crease wide open. Oshie (who was forced to collapse into the low slot to cover the empty space) ended up saving his bacon with an excellent poke check to deny a A++ scoring chance.

Thanks all. I assumed he had a good game because it was 1-0 :laugh:

I still think Chorney and Weber have some rust to shake off after not playing much or at all down the stretch, then being thrown into the loffs.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Those board invaders are talking about Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Letang and their new god Murray.

I bet Backstrom is the series points leader again.

Caps in X. Whatever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reading the main boards, Pens seem to be heavy favorites

This works well for us

Sure. The Penguins are the Penguins. They are Crosby. They haven't won in forever but they have won. Meanwhile the Capitals are the Capitals who have not only not won but as a matter of course lose when they should be winning. So, who would you pick as a general NHL fan? Who would you pick if you were a general Canadian NHL fan? Crosby or OV? If you are the media, who brings better ratings?
Caps or Pens? Better ratings in Canada? 8 or 87?

Its not close. I would not be surprised if the Caps don't win the first two games again. Stick to the script.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

As long as Weber brings the pain, I will take the penalties that come with it. Caps PK can handle it. Of course I would have get Orpik back. He has not reason to step up against the Pens. As opposed to Weber, I mean. Right?

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Pens also remind me a lot of our Bruce days, wide open run and gun speed game.

We see how well that worked for us in the past. It's much easier to shut down in the playoffs and we have a better defense than the Rangers (never thought I would say that)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So we again run into an ex-capital - this time Mr Fehr. I see he has been throwing hits and doing PK work, and did chip in a goal. One of my fav Fehr moments... I love the irony. Fehr is trying rip someones head off, as Mike Green quickly joins the fray to give out a warm hug. Fehr was always pretty scrappy for a guy that doesn't fight.

mike%2Bgreen%2Bsportsman.gif

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Sure. The Penguins are the Penguins. They are Crosby. They haven't won in forever but they have won. Meanwhile the Capitals are the Capitals who have not only not won but as a matter of course lose when they should be winning. So, who would you pick as a general NHL fan? Who would you pick if you were a general Canadian NHL fan? Crosby or OV? If you are the media, who brings better ratings?
Caps or Pens? Better ratings in Canada? 8 or 87?

Its not close. I would not be surprised if the Caps don't win the first two games again. Stick to the script.

yeah might as well not even play the series :sarcasm:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Chorney.

Yeah you sure love that losing formula:

With Chorney - 0-2

Without - 4 - 0

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuzy and the 2nd line have to be much better for the Caps to advance, barring Ovy goes God-mode....

I think they will look better against the Pens than they did against the Flyers. They were forced to cycle on the outside. I can't remember Bura getting a shot on net. They will have more room to operate against the Pens who like to play a quick transition game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think they will look better against the Pens than they did against the Flyers. They were forced to cycle on the outside. I can't remember Bura getting a shot on net. They will have more room to operate against the Pens who like to play a quick transition game.

Bura had a lot of shots but they were all forced shots from the outside. I think you're right though, the Pens less physical nature and less conservative game will give them more room.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This team has a chance to defeat a lot of demons this year. Our next demon is the pens.

This. In fact the beginning of our troubles for this core all started with the Pens in 2009, specifically not being able to close games that would have given us a stranglehold in Pitt during games 3-4, and then the simple no show collapse in game 7. For this Caps core, that was the beginning of their choking tendency that has happened in every playoff year they've gone to the dance since 2009.

This is a chance to exorcise those demons once and for all, or be forever cursed by them. If this team can't beat the Pens, with home ice, a hot goalie of our own, a real NHL defense and 4 lines that can all do their jobs... then we simply never will.

There's no backing into the finals. The hottest team all year is facing the hottest team all Spring. Win this and the Cup is in sight. Lose this and Caps nation will simply never recover.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We don't feel like favorites so some pressure is off while home ice is still to our advantage.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Also popping in here to say hello, and good luck. Hopefully it's a clean series, and let's be honest, the winner of this one is going to move right along by the atlantic division to the Stanley Cup Final. :laugh:

Should be a good one.

I think a certain team in Tampa might have something to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad