Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 7: Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
save for 88 I don't think anyone else on that list had less to work with than provy in his rookie year. renberg had lindros, Hextall and peeters were on great teams, and propp had Clarke and barber on his line to start. ghost was impressive but he also had a ton of powerplay time getting fed by g and wasn't relied on defensively at all. provorov has played top minutes paired with a defenseman among the worst in the nhl, and is on pace to finish with over 30 points with limited pp time. he has become a #1 D on the team in his rookie season.. and not just playing #1 minutes but thriving in that role despite having a partner that has no business playing those minutes. yeah he may not have the impressive point totals(though to me 30 points as a rookie is impressive) but his play as a 19 year old rookie is up there with everyone else you mentioned as best rookie years of all time and definitely the best rookie year by a defenseman imo. he is majorly overlooked because of those point totals but when you watch his overall game, it's evident how special of a player he is and how great of a season he's having despite things holding him back out of his control.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
This kid is un****ingreal. His skill and overall game haven't turned into points on the board yet but he has 50 point potential while being a defensive anchor. He's a one man breakout machine. I cannot wait to watch his continued development, I'm sure he will be a star sooner or later.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
If I were a Devils fan, I would be very depressed watching that game. Not because of the score, but just knowing that they could've had Provorov, but instead picked Zacha. I would kind of feel sick to my stomach. Zacha reminds me a lot of Zubrus. Big and talented, but inconsistent and invisible half of the time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If I were a Devils fan, I would be very depressed watching that game. Not because of the score, but just knowing that they could've had Provorov, but instead picked Zacha. I would kind of feel sick to my stomach. Zacha reminds me a lot of Zubrus. Big and talented, but inconsistent and invisible half of the time.

In fairness, Zacha is 19 years old and has 8 points in his last 11 games. And would have had one last night if the offside goal had stood.

Now of course I am happy as hell they did not pick Provy, but Zacha could be the C they hoped for when they drafted him. Way too early to tell. Now I would be concerned that over half his points are on the PP, but he is not alone in that stat, right?

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
In fairness, Zacha is 19 years old and has 8 points in his last 11 games. And would have had one last night if the offside goal had stood.

Now of course I am happy as hell they did not pick Provy, but Zacha could be the C they hoped for when they drafted him. Way too early to tell. Now I would be concerned that over half his points are on the PP, but he is not alone in that stat, right?

Yup, I never understood the people here who need to rip on Zacha just cuz he was picked before Provy. No doubt in a re draft Provorov would have gone higher but Zacha would still be a top 10 pick in a stacked draft.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Devils will be bad for a long time.

I think they could get creative with as much cap space they have to work with. Could get decent hauls with salary retained on Greene and Schneider. Plus, they'll be picking top 10 with 13 picks in the first 4 rounds over the next 2 drafts.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yup, I never understood the people here who need to rip on Zacha just cuz he was picked before Provy. No doubt in a re draft Provorov would have gone higher but Zacha would still be a top 10 pick in a stacked draft.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's hard to understand about ripping a Devils prospect, for whatever reason. It's always a good idea to do that, whether they deserve it or not.

But if you need a reason, here are two words and some asterisks: Scott ****ing Stevens.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

It's fun! Picking a similarly skilled prospect in Konecny much later in the first makes it all the more satisfying :)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
To be honest, I'm not sure what's hard to understand about ripping a Devils prospect, for whatever reason. It's always a good idea to do that, whether they deserve it or not.

But if you need a reason, here are two words and some asterisks: Scott ****ing Stevens.

All of this. **** the Devils and everyone in their organization. Im still not over 2000.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'm not even bashing Zacha. I think he'll likely be a 2nd line winger. I don't see him ever taking over games or being a driving force behind a line. Even though they've played the same amount of games this year, there's a reason Konecny has 50 more shots than him. Zacha had a few cute passes last night and took way too long to fire a muffin at Stolarz' chest, but outside of that, he was invisible.

My comment was more about the Devils' drafting than about him. You can't tell me you would be happy watching that game knowing your team went out on a limb to pick a risky prospect like Zacha over Provorov. I'm just saying, I would be sick to see my team's rival get a franchise defenseman while my team picked a 2nd liner the pick before them.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
nothing against Ron Sutter in 1982 but the Flyers should have picked Scott ****ing Stevens instead :sarcasm:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I didn't see these lists posted anywhere here. They are awesome. Provorov is awesome...

zoneentry.png

zoneexit.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hmmmmmmm I don't see Zach "better than Provorov AINEC" Werenski on there.

See his d partner though.... Provorovs is missing.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Provy will put his stamp on being a top defenseman by carrying this team along with others to the playoffs. Remember this post.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Member when about 3 seconds into his career he had a bad game and people we're saying he wasn't ready for the NHL?

Hopefully that lesson will spare Nolan, Oskar and Sammy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Member when about 3 seconds into his career he had a bad game and people we're saying he wasn't ready for the NHL?

Hopefully that lesson will spare Nolan, Oskar and Sammy.

Yeah 1st 11 games he had 7 games where he was a minus and was -12 in those 7 games. Overall, was -9 in those 11 games. Special thanks to Chicago's -5 game in game #3 that started the whole "he's not ready".

Maybe it was a blessing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Werenskis is not nearly as good defensively and his offense normalized in the 2nd half when the Jackets came back to Earth. Overrated.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lol. Teenagers with a higher PPG than Werenski:

2iuyhar.jpg

For two years now we've had Flyers fans coming up with every reason why he's not that good as if admitting that he's good somehow takes away from Provorov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad