Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 7: Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
usa-flyers-ivan-provorov-hextall-snider.jpg

Source: NBC Philly. -------------------------
062615)ivan-provorov-600.jpg

Source: Philly.com

"He has elite hockey sense," Hextall said, "and is a real good competitor. A 200-foot player."

Some scouts considered Provorov, 18, the best blue-liner in the draft. If nothing else, he's one of the few who has been to Lincoln Financial Field for an Eagles game.

He came to North America 4 years ago in order to adjust to the culture and learn English. He watched plenty of movies, "Gladiator" is his favorite, and debuted with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights of the U16 Atlantic Youth Hockey League in 2011-12.

This past season, playing for Brandon of the WHL (Hextall's hometown in Manitoba), Provorov led all WHL rookies with 61 points. He had 15 goals and 46 assists.

Provorov is so immersed in the culture here that he went to a couple of Eagles games.

"I was just hoping the Flyers picked me," Provorov said. "It's a great organization and they have great history."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...OCK_FOR_FLYERS__PICK.html#f7zXekXHKxuGEf1B.99
--------------------------------------

e56c8740-9d35-11e4-bc5d-859d5ca9a695_provorov1.jpg

-----------------------------

From NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=98875&sort=finalRank&year=2015

• Final Rank (North American skater): 7
  • Midterm Rank (North American skater): 10
  • Position: Defenseman
  • Shoots: Left
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 201
  • Born: January 13, 1997
  • Hometown: Yaroslavl, Russia
  • Born in: Yaroslavl, RUS
  • Drafted: 2015: PHI (1st Round / 7th Overall) Philadelphia Flyers

FAVORITES

• NHL team: Detroit Red Wings
  • NHL player: Nicklas Lidstrom
  • Shootout move: "Low blocker"
  • Movie: Gladiator
  • TV show: Road to the NHL Winter Classic
  • Actor: Adam Sandler
  • Musician: Drake
  • Sport (other than hockey): Basketball
  • Athlete (non-hockey): LeBron James

------------------------------------

According to one source, the last name is pronounced: pro-VORE-ov

Last edited by a moderator:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Congratulations on acquiring Provorov, one of my favorite prospects from the draft. Here's my shift by shift video on him:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
We now sure have some great D prospects, wow! Who would have believed that 3 years ago?

Welcome to the Flyers Provorov! Great addition.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Many scouts think Provorov is perhaps the most NHL ready defenseman that was available in the draft, but that might not necessarily be the case for the Flyers.

"With Ron, we're gonna take the patient approach and what's best for the kid from a development standpoint," director of scouting Chris Pryor said earlier this month. "Him and a few others, are they capable from the hockey standpoint? You can probably make an argument that they might look like that at camp, but I think the best thing for them is we have to have a conversation about what's best for their development."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ft-defenseman-ivan-provorov-at-no-7/29366311/

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I learned more and more about the top prospects as the draft got closer and I'm very happy with this. Only prospect I thought might be available to us that I really clearly wanted more was Marner but obviously that couldn't happen.

Very happy with this pick. Please no more D the rest of this draft though. Or mostly no more D at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad