Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 7: Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
He's already looking like he's the real deal, has #1 dman written all over him. I really don't care what anyone say's he's going to be way better than Hanifin. I've seen enough of both to easily make that assessment.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's awesome that he can be on the shutdown pair this early in his career. Just hope he doesn't oversimplify his game as a result.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I loved that in the 3rd when we were trailing, he was pushing for offense.

He really is our best Dman.....took less than 30 games.

:handclap:

Oh....and he is currently 6th in ES points in the entire league for D.

Last edited:

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
It's awesome that he can be on the shutdown pair this early in his career. Just hope he doesn't oversimplify his game as a result.

Eh, I mean I guess I kinda see what you mean, but I seen him creating more offense where he can the more comfortable he becomes. His lateral skating in the offensive zone along the blue line is fantastic and he's quite good at getting the puck through in traffic. Sky is the limit for Provy.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Doesn't seem all that long ago the Flyers had one of the most expensive and milquetoast defensive corps in the NHL, it's great to see the tide turning.

Ivan looks solid and has multiple aspects of his game put together nicely. He needs improvement, like all young D-men, but I'm thrilled so far.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I think it depends on who he's paired with at the time. If, down the line, he and Sanheim are together I can see him playing the defensive role, but if he's with Morin or Gudas I think he'll be pushing the offense.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think it depends on who he's paired with at the time. If, down the line, he and Sanheim are together I can see him playing the defensive role, but if he's with Morin or Gudas I think he'll be pushing the offense.

I also think what forwards are on the ice is as if not more important. Hard to make offensive pushes up the ice when PEB and VDV are being used as the shutdown line. Should see a big difference when Couturier is back.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Eh, I mean I guess I kinda see what you mean, but I seen him creating more offense where he can the more comfortable he becomes. His lateral skating in the offensive zone along the blue line is fantastic and he's quite good at getting the puck through in traffic. Sky is the limit for Provy.

The kid has been absolutely amazing.... What growth since the first few games of the year. He's a superstar in the making... He needs to make some faster decisions on the PP and he needs to let go of his slapper a little more often but all else is already there in both ends of the ice. He's a complete all around dmen at 19

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
He's been our best overall dman since somewhere around game 18. Seem to have struck gold with him and if so then a couple more hits on our bluechip dmen and we're gonna have some huge trade chips on our hands.

At this point, Provy's the most cornerstone piece of the Flyers looking into the future.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Well he should end the season with ~30-35 points and this is with relatively low PP time. Take of the AMac shackles and give him ~50+ more minutes of PP time and it is possible he could put up 45-55 points in his peak offensive seasons, which is very good. He really does have Norris potential.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sticking with my Suter comparison.

If he gets a permanent spot on PP1 then he could reach 50 points in a season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov is going to play close to 25 minutes a night, like most great defensemen, he's economical with his effort, he can turn it on and go goal to goal when needed, but because he understands positioning and anticipates so well, he's not chasing the play all the time. And his skating is almost effortless most of the time, except when he wants to turn on the jets.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Haven't had the chance of watching him for a while. But I guess he still looks like a 30 year old vet?

I see his ceiling up there in 55'ish points. When you add his defensive game and smarts, he's a true #1D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad