Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 24: Travis Konecny, RW, Ottawa (OHL); signed ELC 7/16/15 (post #338)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Pre-draft last year I asked why Konecny wasn't being mentioned as a possible candidate for the Flyers' 7th overall pick. He didn't get any hype but his game tape was as good as anyone's I saw.

I absolutely loved him (saw some Bobby Clarke in him); could not believe how much he fell; and was beyond ecstatic when the Flyers traded to land him at 24.

I think he makes the Flyers this season and makes a difference. Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost are three damn good young players to have, and Sanheim will add to it before long.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Pre-draft last year I asked why Konecny wasn't being mentioned as a possible candidate for the Flyers' 7th overall pick. He didn't get any hype but his game tape was as good as anyone's I saw.

I absolutely loved him (saw some Bobby Clarke in him); could not believe how much he fell; and was beyond ecstatic when the Flyers traded to land him at 24.

I think he makes the Flyers this season and makes a difference. Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost are three damn good young players to have, and Sanheim will add to it before long.

Amen. :clap:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I'll be conservative on what I expect from Konecny, and it would be a bonus seeing him crack the roster because if he's there come the start of the season, he's really earned it.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Way to derail the thread with your on topic, authentic analysis...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pre-draft last year I asked why Konecny wasn't being mentioned as a possible candidate for the Flyers' 7th overall pick.

Lack of size and injuries.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think he should take PEDs in his neck to make it look like this:

index.php

If he's gonna be called The Neck by like 4 of us, then he should do us the courtesy of making himself a Dick Tracy character.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Hey guys.

Been a long time since my last login, RL caught me heavily.

If we assume Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Read and Raffl are our top-9 wingers, there could be an open spot on the 3rd line RW for NAK or Konecny. Yes, I know, it's tough to make the jump from the juniors right into the NHL but I truly believe Konecny has "it" to succeed instantly.

If only Laughton finally secures the 3rd line center spot.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
It might be a good strategy considering his concussion history. I think only Chara could make principal contact with that head. Then again, Konecny would have whiplash after 2 shifts.

Bad news: apparently neck rings only give the illusion of neck elongation. They mostly push the ribs and the collar bones down. Seems like the only option left in getting the Neck to acceptable NHL height is to break his legs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't like seeing people on the main boards rate our prospects highly, especially Provorov.

With how stupid 90% of them are, and how many threads you can find where the majority of people were way off with their evaluations, it makes me worried these prospects are going to fail.

The good news is Sanheim seems legit since many hate him.

I mean we talk about how ignorant the majority of main board posters are all the time, why would we suddenly take their opinions seriously now that they say positive things about our guys? ;)

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Still too low! :rant::laugh: but for real, looking at some of the names above him, I would slide him about 10 spots up just after Aho. Unless people are severely factoring in his injury in the playoffs (a basically random event), then it's still people weighing his draft year too heavily vs his rookie season and last year. Timo Meier is getting overlooked too.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Those polls are always trash. As the poll moves away from the "sure things" like top 5 picks, the results are heavily influenced by whichever fanbase has a dog in the fight. Sometimes a player gets hype around him from WJC or a playoffs and it snowballs into them being a surefire first liner and superstar. It doesnt help that you could run the same poll between 2 players once a month and get a different winner every time.

Everything that made Crouse and Meier top 10 picks last year get forgotten because they havent been in the headlines for a while. Meanwhile, if a Canadian team drafts a top 10 player, they're likely another generational player

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
After years of studying, I'm convinced most of the people that flood the main boards and prospect sections base their opinions of players solely on names. Literally the names. 'Ivan Provorov' just sounds like a stud.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
After years of studying, I'm convinced most of the people that flood the main boards and prospect sections base their opinions of players solely on names. Literally the names. 'Ivan Provorov' just sounds like a stud.

same way they would bet on racehorses...why do any homework? just bet on the horse with the best name.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Lol....well, there was a thread in the prospects section on prediction a players upside based on his name.

But for sure in the prospects section, getting info on the prospects before they get drafted is much more impartial. Just look at McLeod and how all hand Nj Devils fans hated that pick. Now they are all talking him up and defending him....saying he will be the next Ryan Kesler.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Really just not - objectively - getting much help from his linemates this season until recently...

Case in point:

iCF/CF: 28.3% (highest on team for forwards)
iSF/SF: 27% (highest on team for forwards)
iXGF/XGF: 29.5% (3rd highest on team for forwards)

The only other forward who is top 4 in each of those three categories is Laughton (3rd, 3rd, 2nd)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here's the problem

The day-to-day level of play of...
Manning
Hagg
MacDonald
Filppula
Weise

Then, in a lesser way...
Simmonds killing the top line
Weal being what I thought he is
Patrick being less than 100%

And most of all...
Hakstol

I see two young guys on that list. One is truly bad, the other is only having issues due to recovering from injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad