Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 24: Travis Konecny, RW, Ottawa (OHL); signed ELC 7/16/15 (post #338)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Notice how anyone Striiker likes does no wrong?

So Sanheim never makes a bad mistake. All those goals against are the fault of his pairings, including Gudas?
Konecny is a victim of linemates - bad shooting and poor defense and being a nonfactor along the boards doesn't factor in any evaluation
Provorov being sloppy with his passes. Too many turnovers for a top defenseman. But he can do no wrong?
Ghost being a second tier offensive defenseman at ES and a grossly undersized D-man. Size doesn't matter, unless of course you play the Kings.
Laughton is a fine forechecker, but lacks the skills to play center on anything but a checking line (or why hasn't Konecny taken off next to him?)

Fact is, our best prospects haven't exactly played like elite players this year.
They're talented, they show lots of promise, but like most young players who aren't uber prospects, they have ups and downs.
That exacerbates a lack of depth.
The reason his favorite whipping dogs get PT is because Hextall won't trade assets to replace them and the kids aren't ready.

Now I don't get bent out of shape because I expect young players to struggle, it happens all over the league.
And I don't freak out about MacDonald, etic., since I know they won't even be here in two years.
Deferred gratification is the mark of an adult.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Deadhead wants to get dunked on early in the morning, huh? OK, I'm down.

Notice how anyone Striiker likes does no wrong?

First off, this very first sentence is total nonsense. I listed the guys who are problems, not everyone who has made a mistake. By "problem" I mean they do more harm than good and are a net negative in overall impact.

And it isn't that they aren't a problem because I like them... I like the because they aren't a problem.

As a side note, I like Patrick and Simmonds is one of my favorite players. Both are on that list.

So Sanheim never makes a bad mistake. All those goals against are the fault of his pairings, including Gudas?
Konecny is a victim of linemates - bad shooting and poor defense and being a nonfactor along the boards doesn't factor in any evaluation
Provorov being sloppy with his passes. Too many turnovers for a top defenseman. But he can do no wrong?
Ghost being a second tier offensive defenseman at ES and a grossly undersized D-man. Size doesn't matter, unless of course you play the Kings.
Laughton is a fine forechecker, but lacks the skills to play center on anything but a checking line (or why hasn't Konecny taken off next to him?)

Every single player in every single sport makes mistakes, I've never said otherwise. But some players make the mistakes and do enough good to compensate for it. The ones I listed do not, the one's you listed here do.

If we look at how Sanheim actually plays, not your imaginary version of it, he isn't close to a liability and helps the team far more than he hurts. Same with the others you mentioned, Gudas, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, and Laughton. All provide far more positives than they do negatives.

If we look individually:

-Konecny's lack of scoring is a mix of bad linemates and then nearly zero icetime once he finally gets with people who can play hockey.
-Gudas is one of our best defensemen but your idiot best friend Haksol is trying to bury him so he can play his obsessions.
-Provorov has messed up, like EVERYONE does, but he's obviously still easily a net positive.
-Ghost is #53, since apparently you haven't seen him play. Check him out sometime.
-Laughton has been our 2nd best center this year, but Hakstol won't play him an appropriate amount so his impact is limited. Laughton and Konecny have been good together, but hardly get to play.

Fact is, our best prospects haven't exactly played like elite players this year.
They're talented, they show lots of promise, but like most young players who aren't uber prospects, they have ups and downs.
That exacerbates a lack of depth.
The reason his favorite whipping dogs get PT is because Hextall won't trade assets to replace them and the kids aren't ready.

Anyone expecting them to be elite immediately is a fool. Doesn't mean they're hurting the team, most of them aren't.

What really ruins depth is Hakstol making sure each top 9 line and each top 4 pairing has a deadweight anchor on it. So you can blame him for that.

Now I don't get bent out of shape because I expect young players to struggle, it happens all over the league.
And I don't freak out about MacDonald, etic., since I know they won't even be here in two years.
Deferred gratification is the mark of an adult.

You get bent out of shape, but only towards certain players and never the ones who deserve it. The agenda is clear, only defend the people on Hakstol's obsession list, only criticize people who aren't. It's not a coincidence and you're not fooling anyone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deadhead wants to get dunked on early in the morning, huh? OK, I'm down.

If we look at how Sanheim actually plays, not your imaginary version of it, he isn't close to a liability and helps the team far more than he hurts. Same with the others you mentioned, Gudas, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, and Laughton. All provide far more positives than they do negatives.

They don't provide enough positives, the players you slag aren't going to be here, these are the players who have to step up.

If we look individually:

-Konecny's lack of scoring is a mix of bad linemates and then nearly zero icetime once he finally gets with people who can play hockey.
-Gudas is one of our best defensemen but your idiot best friend Haksol is trying to bury him so he can play his obsessions.
-Provorov has messed up, like EVERYONE does, but he's obviously still easily a net positive.
-Ghost is #53, since apparently you haven't seen him play. Check him out sometime.
-Laughton has been our 2nd best center this year, but Hakstol won't play him an appropriate amount so his impact is limited. Laughton and Konecny have been good together, but hardly get to play.

Konecny's lack of scoring is his lack of progress as a player, sure anyone will score more if paired with G & Couts, but Voracek scores a lot more than Simmonds.
Konency has had a lot of scoring opportunities, face it, right now he's not a good NHL shooter, compare him to say Boeser.
He's not a good NHL playmaker either, he's often out of control, has one gear. Hasn't helped Laughton at all.
Should have stayed in junior and spent a year in the AHL. Only 20 so he has lots of time to grow up, but not the star some thought he'd be.

Gudas played a lot of minutes last year, so I think it's more his role as Sanheim's nursemaid and stabilizing the pairings.
As Sanheim becomes more reliable (remember, he struggled his first couple months last year in the AHL), their minutes will increase.

Of course Provorov is a net positive, but he has regressed slightly this year, normal for prospects, progress isn't linear, but I had great expectations, which I think THE MACHINE will realize, he's just had a little problem with the sensors this season.

Ghost is what he is, a great PP QB, a limited ES defenseman who is not close to elite in that role. He's a solid player, but people inflate him.

Laughton isn't a center on other than a checking line, he's not Couts. His future is probably at LW. Just lacks a feel for linemates, has speed, a good shot, has become a tenacious forechecker, but whomever you put next to him doesn't score - and after a while, you realize part of the reason is Laughton.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have no issue criticizing TK for not converting more goals. But it's also easy to see that AT LEAST he creates those chances. Other guys don't. And on most nights, he creates them on his own due to his speed.

Reality is, we only have a few guys who can create offense by themselves. And for a large chunk of the season, 3 of them were all on the same line. The offset of that is that guys like Konecny get no help. Instead, Flip and Simmonds get the help...with little to no results.

I would like to see this tried:

Giroux Couts TK
Raffl Patrick Voracek
Weise Flip Simmonds nice, heavy line for Hak
Weal Laughton Leier

See if playing with top talent will help their confidence. We saw TK produce with Voracek and Couts last year. That could actually give us 2 scoring lines, and heavy line, then a fast annoying line.

Instead of just saying "they need to be better" while playing them with lesser players, how about we actually try and HELP them be better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now, if you put Raffl and Voracek with Patrick, you've just wasted two of your top forwards until Patrick turns the corner.
TK would score more with G & Couts, but that line would struggle on the road.

Comes down to all choices are bad until we promote a couple guys from the AHL and Patrick gets healthy.
Until then, you're just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titantic and not fixing the pesky hole from the iceberg.

Unless Weal picks it up, at some point I expect Weal, Leier and Weise to be replaced by Lindblom, MV and NAK.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They don't provide enough positives, the players you slag aren't going to be here, these are the players who have to step up.

Sure they do.

And the trash players aren't as sure to be gone as you think. If they were, they wouldn't be playing so much. They DO have other options.

Konecny's lack of scoring is his lack of progress as a player, sure anyone will score more if paired with G & Couts, but Voracek scores a lot more than Simmonds.
Konency has had a lot of scoring opportunities, face it, right now he's not a good NHL shooter, compare him to say Boeser.
He's not a good NHL playmaker either, he's often out of control, has one gear. Hasn't helped Laughton at all.
Should have stayed in junior and spent a year in the AHL. Only 20 so he has lots of time to grow up, but not the star some thought he'd be.

Gudas played a lot of minutes last year, so I think it's more his role as Sanheim's nursemaid and stabilizing the pairings.
As Sanheim becomes more reliable (remember, he struggled his first couple months last year in the AHL), their minutes will increase

Of course Provorov is a net positive, but he has regressed slightly this year, normal for prospects, progress isn't linear, but I had great expectations, which I think THE MACHINE will realize, he's just had a little problem with the sensors this season.

Ghost is what he is, a great PP QB, a limited ES defenseman who is not close to elite in that role. He's a solid player, but people inflate him.

All the bold is incorrect.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Right now, if you put Raffl and Voracek with Patrick, you've just wasted two of your top forwards until Patrick turns the corner.
TK would score more with G & Couts, but that line would struggle on the road.

Comes down to all choices are bad until we promote a couple guys from the AHL and Patrick gets healthy.
Until then, you're just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titantic and not fixing the pesky hole from the iceberg.

Unless Weal picks it up, at some point I expect Weal, Leier and Weise to be replaced by Lindblom, MV and NAK.

Says you. Maybe Jake and Raffl help Patrick get some ugly goals or points based on the wingers play. It's not like Flip is huge upgrade. Hell, tell NP to focus on defense on that line and let them create while he stays as the high/slot guy. And being a RH shot he is set up for Jakes passes...and tell him to shoot often.

Again...says you. Why would that line struggle on the road? Simmonds is hurting the line anyways...god forbid try something different to help fix it. Simmonds isn't working on that line.

You keep spewing the same garbage about how changing lines don't matter. It's bullshit. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Wea, Flip and Simmonds were good last year when on paper that seems unlikely. Staying with things that don't work is just f***ing stupid.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have no issue criticizing TK for not converting more goals. But it's also easy to see that AT LEAST he creates those chances. Other guys don't. And on most nights, he creates them on his own due to his speed.

Reality is, we only have a few guys who can create offense by themselves. And for a large chunk of the season, 3 of them were all on the same line. The offset of that is that guys like Konecny get no help. Instead, Flip and Simmonds get the help...with little to no results.

I would like to see this tried:

Giroux Couts TK
Raffl Patrick Voracek
Weise Flip Simmonds nice, heavy line for Hak
Weal Laughton Leier

See if playing with top talent will help their confidence. We saw TK produce with Voracek and Couts last year. That could actually give us 2 scoring lines, and heavy line, then a fast annoying line.

Instead of just saying "they need to be better" while playing them with lesser players, how about we actually try and HELP them be better.

that 3rd ;line is a disaster.

If we want to be true contenders we need to spread g , v and couts.

Weise giroux tk
raffl patrick voracek
flip couts simmer
weal laughts leier

this is the only lineup i would trust to be out there at any time on the ice. this line has little weakness, and that third line believe it or not could be the best two way line we have iced in years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sure they do.

And the trash players aren't as sure to be gone as you think. If they were, they wouldn't be playing so much. They DO have other options.

All the bold is incorrect.

In your opinion.
Last time I checked, you're not a NHL scout, nor are you privy to what Hextall and Hakstol are thinking.
So your opinion is just that, and whatever you spout, it's not "facts."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
that 3rd ;line is a disaster.

If we want to be true contenders we need to spread g , v and couts.

Weise giroux tk
raffl patrick voracek
flip couts simmer
weal laughts leier

this is the only lineup i would trust to be out there at any time on the ice. this line has little weakness, and that third line believe it or not could be the best two way line we have iced in years.

You just want Couturier to stop scoring. :laugh:

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In your opinion.
Last time I checked, you're not a NHL scout, nor are you privy to what Hextall and Hakstol are thinking.
So your opinion is just that, and whatever you spout, it's not "facts."

I don't need to be a scout to see obvious things like this. Watching the games makes it all perfectly clear.

Just like I don't need to be a professional chef to tell you food that's burnt to ashes wasn't made properly.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You just want Couturier to stop scoring. :laugh:
Don’t you trust couts to elevate the scoring of others?

And this has nothing to do with him. Our 3 best forward need to make their teammates better. Imo this is the only eay u can split the big 3 and help our young guys like konecny and patrick

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don’t you trust couts to elevate the scoring of others?

And this has nothing to do with him. Our 3 best forward need to make their teammates better. Imo this is the only eay u can split the big 3 and help our young guys like konecny and patrick
Sure, but the goal isn't to get Filppula and Simmonds points, so wasting Couturier with them makes no sense. He can help the team so much more with better linemates, as he has all season.

He makes his linemates better, but he's not a miracle worker.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Patrick plays a soft slow game right now and the worst is that there is no skill being showed at all. Worst 2nd pick in along time and it better work out or were done.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
It's beyond time to get Konecny and Patrick going with some help. We have 3 elite forwards and none of them are playing with our struggling youngsters that are the future of the organization. What's the logic there?
Agreed but they wanna make playoffs and our young players don't do much to deserve time. bruins young players some nights outplay the vets and that's why bruins are gonna be good for along time. Our young players take up jersey except Ghost,Provy,Hagg.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bruins young players for the most part are 1-2 years older than our young players.
So the comparison should be the Bruins this year v Flyers next year when they bring up Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev, MV, Morin and Myers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's beyond time to get Konecny and Patrick going with some help. We have 3 elite forwards and none of them are playing with our struggling youngsters that are the future of the organization. What's the logic there?

The fact that 28-14-11 hasnt been tried yet is astounding to me.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Bruins young players for the most part are 1-2 years older than our young players.
So the comparison should be the Bruins this year v Flyers next year when they bring up Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev, MV, Morin and Myers.
Our younsters shouldn't be on the team except the three that I mentioned. Laughton,Leier,Patrick,Konecny bring zero to this team.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Morin and Myers but the rest aren't like Bruins youngsters at all. We are just hoping where Sweeney got it right. Compete is the theme in hockey and we lack compete fron even the top players most nights. 6 to 7 years away from anything major happening.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Morin and Myers but the rest aren't like Bruins youngsters at all. We are just hoping where Sweeney got it right. Compete is the theme in hockey and we lack compete fron even the top players most nights. 6 to 7 years away from anything major happening.

You are quite possibly the most impatient and negative person I've ever come across. 6 to 7 years is an absolute eternity in hockey. Shit, 7 years ago the Flyers went to the Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad