Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are they supposed to be good this year? They were one of the worst Q teams in the last decade, last year and they got "screwed" by the draft lottery.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are they supposed to be good this year? They were one of the worst Q teams in the last decade, last year and they got "screwed" by the draft lottery.

Not really sure. They just acquired Anderson MacDonald this week. There really isn't a big standout team in the Q this year it seems right now so that could alter teams plans.

Halifax is young but might be the most talented team in the league so that could accelerate their timeline. They have both import spots filled right now but Somppi can legally be traded. Not that they would move him anyway but Zadina is locked in on their roster for the year by rule.

Acadie-Bathurst could be a team possibly. They unexpectedly lost Kuznetsov to the KHL so an import spot is open & I think they were expecting to be a player this year. Couturier part owns the team & his dad is the GM as well.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who do you think signed Vandervelde a YEAR BEFORE HAKSTOL WAS HIRED? And watch him play the same minutes for Berube that he did for Hakstol.

A leaf doesn't fall without Ron noting it, and asking for a scouting evaluation.

Signing him the first time and then giving him the new contract was 100% Hextall, absolutely. I'm not arguing that at all or saying that Hextall has always hated Vandevelde or anything like that.

And I'll even point out that when Vandevelde was re-signed I was perfectly fine with it. Up until that point he had been what he should be, a 4th liner who is mostly invisible. Unfortunately Hakstol thinks that Vandevelde is more than just a 4th liner, which is where the problems came from.

What I'm saying is that, at the end of Vandevelde's time here the opinions of Hakstol and Hextall diverged. Despite that, Vandevelde was used the way Hakstol wanted during the season, then discarded like Hextall wanted. If Hextall was as involved with coaching as you say, that would mean that he agreed with Hakstols usage of him... and if that's the case then that would mean he sees Vandevelde the same way Hakstol does, as a shutdown player who plays in important situations and is better on the PK than one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Obviously thats not the case, seeing as he let him go.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hear ya just stating recent history in that regard. Off the top my head Jerry D'Amigo is one of the last notable prospects to start out in the AHL before getting sent to Kitchener in the OHL.

If the Phantoms had a good head coach down there & weren't loaded up on veterans it might make sense for Rubtsov to play there next year. But that obviously isn't the case. He's likely better off in juniors where top forwards can play almost half the game & get juicy offensive usage. Opposed to basically being a checker playing around 12 minutes a night with no PP time under Gordon in the AHL.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Watching the way Gordon used mid-tier prospects (NAK) was infuriating enough... watching him do it with a top prospect would drive me insane.

It'd also be a slightly different situation if he hadn't missed soo much time last year. Spending a full year in the CHL should be good for him and then hopefully the Phantoms will have a new coach the year after that (if he doesn't make the Flyers).

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I don't believe so. He still is, or was with Provorov in Yaroslavl until very recently. Mikhail Sergachev posted some cool pictures of them together just yesterday on Instagram.

If someone knows how to post Instagram pics here, please do so.

I'm not sure if these are the ones you are referring to.
13732323_1125808884128070_108300706_n.jpg

20986862_852714644895684_7570937443357032448_n.jpg

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Yeah, there were a couple others with Rubtsov & Provorov. They were in the same batch as the one you posted. You just have to scroll over the original pic to view more.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I'm saying is that, at the end of Vandevelde's time here the opinions of Hakstol and Hextall diverged. Despite that, Vandevelde was used the way Hakstol wanted during the season, then discarded like Hextall wanted. If Hextall was as involved with coaching as you say, that would mean that he agreed with Hakstols usage of him... and if that's the case then that would mean he sees Vandevelde the same way Hakstol does, as a shutdown player who plays in important situations and is better on the PK than one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Obviously thats not the case, seeing as he let him go.

Still trying to convince yourself that Hextall just takes off for six months and everything that's done is Hakstol and Gordon. :popcorn:

VdV's PT last year was less than the previous season and about the same as under Berube, same with PEB. They played b/c the other options were worse, and Hextall agreed, b/c Leier went back to LHV and Cousins was traded for a 5th rd pick and Luby was allowed to leave.

Hextall knew exactly what Hakstol was doing and approved it, Hextall knew how Gordon was using players and probably told him to do so (Sanheim in more of a defensive role, Laughton on the PK, Fazleev and AK on checking lines). Hextall wants to develop players in a certain way, and as a former goalie, wonder why he stresses defensive responsibility? :sarcasm:

A guy like Brennan will never sniff the NHL, McDonald gets his 3 games a year, playing an offensive role is how you keep them happy because you don't care about developing them. Fazleev isn't going to be on the top 9 in the NHL, so he'd better focus on checking and PK duties, because that's his only ticket for a promotion. AK isn't good enough offensively to make it without being a two-way player, so first have him focus on defense, then let him open up his game this season.

There is a method to Ron's madness, and it's all Ron's scheme, if you've watched the Flyers the last three years it's obvious that he's in total control. Y'all are thinking checker moves while Ron is playing Grandmaster NHL chess.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Seeing a whole lot of guesses with nothing to back them up. In fact, evidence and common sense leads us to believe the opposite is true.

Like I already said, if they agreed 100% or this was all Hextalls plan, then Vandevelde would have been re-signed and Bellemare protected in the entry draft. Neither of those actions happened, neither of your claims are true. End of story. Their opinions on those players were obviously different.

You can convince yourself all you want, but reality is reality. We've already seen another example of Hextall putting up with a coach he wasn't on the same page as, without him micromanaging. He let Berube shoot himself in the foot and then let him go. If he were the omnipotent puppet master, like you believe, then that doesn't happen. What Hakstol does is on Hakstol, no amount of excuses will let you take away that blame. His own actions have killed all the excuses you make for him.

Last edited:

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Rubtsov arrived in Chicoutimi a week ago after sorting out visa problems. Will leave for Flyers rookie camp Sept 9, will practise with the team but won`t play in any of the Sags preseason games.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-quotidien/sports/sagueneens/201708/29/01-5128727-rebondir-et-setablir.php

German Rubtsov est finalement arrivé au Saguenay lundi soir après avoir réglé ses problèmes de visa. Il a participé à un premier entraînement mardi. Il quittera le 9 septembre pour participer au camp d'entraînement des Flyers de Philadelphie. Comme les Sags disputent leur prochaine partie préparatoire le 8, l'attaquant russe ne devrait normalement pas jouer avant son départ. Malgré l'incertitude entourant l'explosif joueur de 19 ans, l'entraîneur-chef Yanick Jean ne travaille pas différemment. «C'est un joueur comme un autre qui fait partie de l'équipe. On fait comme s'il était dans les 23 joueurs en vue de notre alignement partant», d'expliquer le pilote des Bleus...

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Still trying to convince yourself that Hextall just takes off for six months and everything that's done is Hakstol and Gordon. :popcorn:

VdV's PT last year was less than the previous season and about the same as under Berube, same with PEB. They played b/c the other options were worse, and Hextall agreed, b/c Leier went back to LHV and Cousins was traded for a 5th rd pick and Luby was allowed to leave.

Hextall knew exactly what Hakstol was doing and approved it, Hextall knew how Gordon was using players and probably told him to do so (Sanheim in more of a defensive role, Laughton on the PK, Fazleev and AK on checking lines). Hextall wants to develop players in a certain way, and as a former goalie, wonder why he stresses defensive responsibility? :sarcasm:

A guy like Brennan will never sniff the NHL, McDonald gets his 3 games a year, playing an offensive role is how you keep them happy because you don't care about developing them. Fazleev isn't going to be on the top 9 in the NHL, so he'd better focus on checking and PK duties, because that's his only ticket for a promotion. AK isn't good enough offensively to make it without being a two-way player, so first have him focus on defense, then let him open up his game this season.

There is a method to Ron's madness, and it's all Ron's scheme, if you've watched the Flyers the last three years it's obvious that he's in total control. Y'all are thinking checker moves while Ron is playing Grandmaster NHL chess.

So VdV is better than a player who actually garnered some trade value? Your arguments are terrible dude.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The difference is that Cousins was a bad fit on the 4th line and can't play on the PK. Like Weal, he was top 9 or bust (traded).

If Rubtsov goes to the AHL, I have no doubt he'll be on the top 2 lines, like Weal, his future is an offensive role. So they'll play him in LHV in that role, same with Frost in two years - for these guys it's top 6 or get packaged in a deal.

Guys like Leier, AK and Fazleev start out in checking roles because they're not cracking the top 9, so if they can't check and play the PK they're not making the Flyers, period. That's why Laughton was in a defensive role, his best shot this year is LW/C on the 4th line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't say that NAK has no chance of playing in the top 9. He's a significantly better prospect than a guy like Fazleev.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The difference is that Cousins was a bad fit on the 4th line and can't play on the PK. Like Weal, he was top 9 or bust (traded).

If Rubtsov goes to the AHL, I have no doubt he'll be on the top 2 lines, like Weal, his future is an offensive role. So they'll play him in LHV in that role, same with Frost in two years - for these guys it's top 6 or get packaged in a deal.

Guys like Leier, AK and Fazleev start out in checking roles because they're not cracking the top 9, so if they can't check and play the PK they're not making the Flyers, period. That's why Laughton was in a defensive role, his best shot this year is LW/C on the 4th line.

That's just not right. Teams ARE allowed to have 3 good lines that can score. Plus Rubstov has shown he is good defensively so that defense could translate to the NHL too.

You only see in black and white sometimes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't draft 1st rd picks to be 3rd line wingers.

Rubtsov and Frost should compete for top 6 jobs, now, with the depth they're building, they'll probably have to play on the 3rd line for a couple years, but that shouldn't be their ceiling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's just not right. Teams ARE allowed to have 3 good lines that can score. Plus Rubstov has shown he is good defensively so that defense could translate to the NHL too.

You only see in black and white sometimes.

Hertl is a good example of a first round pick who might not be in the top 6 on a very good team, but is still a player the Sharks love having on their 3rd line. He certainly hasn't been traded in a "package".

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I thought we all agreed that the whole line stereotypes mentality was antiquated...

It's no longer...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Defensive grinders
4th- Grinders and goons

Now it's more like...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Tertiary scorers
4th- Speedy grinders/PKers

... and all have to be semi-skilled and semi-responsible defensively. No more one trick ponies

So if Rubtsov ends up on the 3rd line, but does a good job there then it won't matter where he was drafted. Just like playing on the 3rd D pair doesn't mean Ghost is our 5/6th best defensemen.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I thought we all agreed that the whole line stereotypes mentality was antiquated...

It's no longer...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Defensive grinders
4th- Grinders and goons

Now it's more like...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Tertiary scorers

... and all have to be semi-skilled and semi-responsible defensively. No more one trick ponies

So if Rubtsov ends up on the 3rd line, but does a good job there then it won't matter where he was drafted. Just like playing on the 3rd D pair doesn't mean Ghost is our 5/6th best defensemen.

I don't even call it lines 2 and 3 anymore. Its the middle six. Thats how teams view their offense now.

Top line
Middle Six
Bottom line.

Coaches with teams who have the depth of three good lines play the middle six about the same

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's no longer...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Defensive grinders
4th- Grinders and goons

Now it's more like...

1st- Top scorers
2nd- Secondary scorers
3rd- Tertiary scorers

All those who actually watch games agreed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You don't draft 1st rd picks to be 3rd line wingers.

Rubtsov and Frost should compete for top 6 jobs, now, with the depth they're building, they'll probably have to play on the 3rd line for a couple years, but that shouldn't be their ceiling.

Who said it's their ceiling?

You said it was "top 6 or get packaged in a deal" for Frost and Rubstov. I am stating that it is just a dumb comment to make. They both can be very effective players even if they are on the 3rd line.

Hell, in a season where where we are about to have Giroux, Partick, and Couts as out top 3 centers AND ON DIFFERENT LINES, you would think it would be obvious that good players can play on 3rd lines. Not to mention Voracek, Simmonds and Konecny at RW.

To be contenders, we NEED to have that 3rd line great depth as we might not have that 1-2 elite forwards to rely on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who said it's their ceiling?

To be contenders, we NEED to have that 3rd line great depth as we might not have that 1-2 elite forwards to rely on.

If Rubtsov and Frost are bottom six players, Hextall screwed the pooch.
If they're top 6 players forced to play on the 3rd line b/c we have quality depth, we're in great shape.

You hope players like AK, MV, Vorobyov,Bunnyman and Strome are good enough to push their way onto the 3rd line - I at least have higher aspirations for Rubtsov, Frost, Ratcliffe and Laberge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad