Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Rubtsov deserves better than to just be dropped in the middle of no where in Northern Quebec to play on a cellar dweller. Chicoutimi looks like a seriously bad team on paper. The kid will be miserable. He's put up with a lot of crap to get over here ASAP. He's done everything asked of him.

If Chicoutimi plays hardball and won't trade him to a more advantageous situation for Rubtsov in the Q, he needs to play in Allentown. Development-wise it might not be the perfect situation but he'll be happy and comfortable there. Playing with Fazleev & Vorobyov in a nice building and city.

I just think it's super short-sighted to send him to Chicoutimi again. The kid is 19 years old, in a new country, and barely speaks English. You have to think big picture here. Putting him where he will be comfortable counts for a lot.

Being 1C for Russia at the WJC is prob his number one goal this year. Best way for him to do that is stay with Chicoutimi and play in the super series. If he goes to the AHL and has a slow start, which he would under Gordon, I doubt Russia would treat him the same. If he stays with Chicoutimi, and is over a ppg player by the WJC, it's almost automatic that he will be traded to another powerhouse. It happens with most star Q players in teams that aren't going to make playoffs. I don't see how any of this hurts his development.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Being 1C for Russia at the WJC is prob his number one goal this year. Best way for him to do that is stay with Chicoutimi and play in the super series. If he goes to the AHL and has a slow start, which he would under Gordon, I doubt Russia would treat him the same. If he stays with Chicoutimi, and is over a ppg player by the WJC, it's almost automatic that he will be traded to another powerhouse. It happens with most star Q players in teams that aren't going to make playoffs. I don't see how any of this hurts his development.

Agreed. No need to be a prima donna and force a trade. It'll happen when Chicoutimi realizes they can trade him for futures.

I really think Rubtsov is going to be a very, very good player and a perfect complement to Patrick.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
They never do as there isn't a transfer agreement. But he's not an NHL prospect at this point. He's basically been a spare defensemen in the KHL these past few seasons.

I always wondered about that first part, are you sure that they never expire, or does a team retain the rights until the player reaches UFA age?

Vasiliev made a bad desicion when he left Spartak and signed with Omsk, they are always a deep team with high paid veterans. He will play alot more with Cherepovets this season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I always wondered about that first part, are you sure that they never expire, or does a team retain the rights until the player reaches UFA age?

Vasiliev made a bad desicion when he left Spartak and signed with Omsk, they are always a deep team with high paid veterans. He will play alot more with Cherepovets this season.

I think if a player never comes over you can hold their rights indefinitely. As that what was being said about Gusev this summer when people thought the same about him being a UFA when he turns 27 which apparently isn't the case.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Mikaël Lalancette with his column 10 things to look at in the Q mentions Rubtsov.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/08/18/dix-enjeux-a-surveiller-dans-la-lhjmq

Saguenéens : le Russe German Rubtsov reviendra-t-il ou pas? L’entraîneur-chef et DG Yanick Jean joue de prudence quand on lui pose la question, mais mes discussions avec plusieurs personnes bien au fait du dossier me laissent croire qu’il évoluera dans le circuit Courteau cette année. LA question à mon avis : Où? Je ne crois pas que les Sags vont le garder bien longtemps au Saguenay. Il pourrait rapporter gros par voie de transactions. L’autre Russe de l’équipe, Vladislav Kotkov, est prometteur. Ça laisse une marge de manoeuvre au DG de le troquer et de préparer l’avenir de sa formation.

He gives his opinion on the future of Rubtsov with the Sags and he says that he thinks he`ll play in the Q this season but will be traded eventually.

Edit: I should mention that he says while talking to people in the know, they believe Rubtsov will play in the Q not the AHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There isn't like a Saint John or Rouyn-Norada this year where they're an older team & clearly at the top heading into the season.

So i guess Halifax, Moncton, Quebec, Gatineau, Victoriaville, etc. could all be potential landing spots I would imagine.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is there any way Rubstov makes the team out of camp? All the focus seems to be on the Defense and Patrick/Lindblom. Not suggesting he will, just wondering if there's even a chance.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Is there any way Rubstov makes the team out of camp? All the focus seems to be on the Defense and Patrick/Lindblom. Not suggesting he will, just wondering if there's even a chance.

Not a chance. If the flyers think he's very close, he will start in the AHL, if there's any question of doubt he will go back to juniors. I believe because of where he was drafted from he is able to play in the AHL?

Regardless, He's not making the team this year, there simply isn't enough room.

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Weal/Raffl - Couturier - Konecny
Filppula - Patrick - Weise
Weal/Raffl/Lehtera/Laughton/Vecchione/Leier/Read

Or any combination of the above.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Question: is Rubtsov at Chicoutimi camp and then leaving for Flyers' camp? They played last night in preseason.

http://theqmjhl.ca/gamecentre/26322/boxscore

I don't believe so. He still is, or was with Provorov in Yaroslavl until very recently. Mikhail Sergachev posted some cool pictures of them together just yesterday on Instagram.

If someone knows how to post Instagram pics here, please do so.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

simmer.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall needs to remind Gordon what matters. The AHL is supposed to be a developmental league. Not TJ Brennan's personal backyard rink.

You really think Gordon makes those decisions without Hextall's input and approval? Like Ron is a hands-off guy who drops in once a month and otherwise sits in his office and ignores LHV?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes. Hextall doesn't interfere with coaching. If something major happened, like Sanheim getting healthy scratched for 10+ games, then I'm sure he'd step in. The rest of the time he lets the stupid people do stupid things.

We see the same at the NHL level.

Or do you really believe that Hextall and Hakstol share the same opinion on Vandevelde, for example, and agree on every bit of player usage? One of them loves the guy and plays him 1000x more than he should be played, the other let him drop out of the entire league. (Actually, I'm sure this is what you believe... but it's wrong)

If they were 100% on the same page and agreed 100% on all coaching decisions then Vandevelde is back this upcomming year. However, since that's obviously not the case...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah VandeVelde unsigned and Bellemare exposed suggests Hextall did not agree with Hakstols perception of them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah VandeVelde unsigned and Bellemare exposed suggests Hextall did not agree with Hakstols perception of them.

I'm sure he's typing up the same silly "he only used them because he had no other choice!!!" garbage that he always uses to defend Hakstol, as we speak. Completely ignoring that the claim can be easily disproved, based on their usage.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Not a chance. If the flyers think he's very close, he will start in the AHL, if there's any question of doubt he will go back to juniors. I believe because of where he was drafted from he is able to play in the AHL?

Regardless, He's not making the team this year, there simply isn't enough room.

I kinda expect it to be

Konecny - G - Voracek
Lindbolm - Coots - Simmonds
Weal- Patrick - Filppula
Raffl - Laughton - Lehtera/Weise

Scratches: Read, Leier, Lehtera/Weise

As for Rubstov... he won't be on the team this year. He looks like he may come up to the AHL if they think he is ready. My guess is that he starts the year in juniors then comes up to the AHL midway through the season.
His first chance at maybe cracking the lineup would be if he has a great season and looks NHL ready for next season.
If he has an OK season and keeps the same level of progression, he will probably be in the lineup at the start of the 2019/2020 season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He can't join the Phantoms halfway. Once he goes to Junior, he's there until their season is over.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But they can do the opposite, start him in the AHL and send him down to the CHL if they need to, right?

Yeah. I don't really know of many have done that though. The guys in recent years have tended to just stick in the AHL if tried out there. Jack Roslovic & Christian Fischer were two last year that stuck in the AHL at 19-29 years over going to juniors.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. I don't really know of many have done that though. The guys in recent years have tended to just stick in the AHL if tried out there. Jack Roslovic & Christian Fischer were two last year that stuck in the AHL at 19-29 years over going to juniors.

Yeah, to be clear, I certainly don't expect that to happen, especially woth Hextall in charge. Just clarifying if it were possible.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, to be clear, I certainly don't expect that to happen, especially woth Hextall in charge. Just clarifying if it were possible.

I hear ya just stating recent history in that regard. Off the top my head Jerry D'Amigo is one of the last notable prospects to start out in the AHL before getting sent to Kitchener in the OHL.

If the Phantoms had a good head coach down there & weren't loaded up on veterans it might make sense for Rubtsov to play there next year. But that obviously isn't the case. He's likely better off in juniors where top forwards can play almost half the game & get juicy offensive usage. Opposed to basically being a checker playing around 12 minutes a night with no PP time under Gordon in the AHL.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he got a full season under his belt last year I would have been OK with him in the AHL this year, but last season was more or less a wash for him. I think he could handle playing in the AHL this year but it's probably best to just let him dominate his age group for hopefully 60+ games and maybe he gets some run at the end of the year with the Phantoms when his Q season is over.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or do you really believe that Hextall and Hakstol share the same opinion on Vandevelde, for example, and agree on every bit of player usage? One of them loves the guy and plays him 1000x more than he should be played, the other let him drop out of the entire league. (Actually, I'm sure this is what you believe... but it's wrong)

If they were 100% on the same page and agreed 100% on all coaching decisions then Vandevelde is back this upcomming year. However, since that's obviously not the case...

Who do you think signed Vandervelde a YEAR BEFORE HAKSTOL WAS HIRED? And watch him play the same minutes for Berube that he did for Hakstol.

A leaf doesn't fall without Ron noting it, and asking for a scouting evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad