Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
If they decide that they want him in the AHL can they do it mid season or does it have to be right away? I'm not saying they will or want to I'm just curious.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I expect they'll send Rubtsov to juniors.

They'll have Vorobyov and MV in LHV, and I don't think they want to move them off center until they get to Philly, so it would get crowded this year with Rubtsov. They already have Fazleev skating on the wing.

Next year there will be a battle in camp for the 4th center spot.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope they send him to the Q, regardless of his camp.

Keep him away from Gordon then give him a shot at making the big club next season. If not, he can start 18-19 in the AHL and who knows, maybe Gordon will be gone by then.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hak says he has a "powerful package" lol...

But seriously, good to hear his development is progressing/adjusting despite the culture shock. With our center depth ..nice to hear he is versatile on the wing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It must be at least slightly tempting to keep Rubtsov in the AHL, where you can keep a closer eye on him and have him available as a call-up if he adapts quickly to the pro game.

I don't think they'll do it unless he absolutely blows the doors off camp, though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe if they didn't have Vecchione, Vorobyev and Varone as the likely top 9 centers, plus Knight, Bardreau and Fazleev.

Imagine if Hextall had taken Nicholas Roy instead of Tomek at #90 in 2015. We'd have center prospects coming out of of ears.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe if they didn't have Vecchione, Vorobyev and Varone as the likely top 9 centers, plus Knight, Bardreau and Fazleev.

Imagine if Hextall had taken Nicholas Roy instead of Tomek at #90 in 2015. We'd have center prospects coming out of of ears.

Yeah let Vech and Vorobyev get the call-up if injuries occur. Vech is much older and Vorobyev has already played against men.

No need to mess with Rubstov this year. Let him go dominate Jr and hopefully have a great WJC. Having a healthy year where he gets to focus on his offense will be great for his development.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Plus, I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that Vorobyov may be the next "Lindblom," under the radar prospect who has a breakout year. Especially if they put together a "Russian" line for him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Rubtsov wasn't injured so much last year it think the AHL would have been more of an option. But he'll be in the QMJHL this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Phantoms only have one other Russian and he's a 4th line/13th forward type, so that will be tough.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I would not be surprised at all if Rubtsov is kept on the Phantoms. I definitely wouldn't bet on it... but I think there might be a greater chance than people think.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
He’s been a centerman his whole life,” Hextall said. “He goes to Chicoutimi last season, plays on the left side. He played very well. That type of flexibility with a player is important. We don’t have to sit right now with a guy like German and say, ‘He’s going to be a centerman.’ He can be a center or a left winger. That’s huge for us. We’ve got a lot of centermen, which most teams do. It can [accelerate] the time of period of when he’s ready and when we have a spot.

Certainly sounds like they could consider playing him at wing in the AHL. It will be interesting to see what happens.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Phantoms only have one other Russian and he's a 4th line/13th forward type, so that will be tough.

If they sign Kosorenkov (which I think they will if he plays decently in TC), you could have
Kosorenkov - Vorobyev - Fazleev
as an all Russian line.

Call 'em the "Killer V's"

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If they sign Kosorenkov (which I think they will if he plays decently in TC), you could have
Kosorenkov - Vorobyev - Fazleev
as an all Russian line.

Call 'em the "Killer V's"

Fazleev shouldn't be on that line... to slow and unskilled.

Rather see Aube-Kubel there. Two Russians and an AK.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I expect Kosorenkov will stay in the Q if they do sign him. He would be buried on this Phantoms team, and he's an undrafted 19 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad