Votes: 66 30.6%
  • Rangers in 6

Votes: 27 12.5%
  • Rangers in 7

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
But his foot is almost assuredly no longer broken, right? I don’t think he’d be on the ice if it were

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Jarry is dealing with a broken foot, which is critical to being able to push off and move side to side in the net. It's not just about pain, but about being able to do your job. It's one thing if you're a step or two slower as a skater. If you're slowed as a goalie, it's the difference between a save and a goal.
Yeah, seriously. Comparing a skater who could still be useful when playing hurt (Malkin's shot wasn't anywhere near his best because of his many injuries for years and he was still a very good player, for example) with a goalie who would be a huge liability if not close to 100% ready is so silly. The Preds didn't rush Saros either even though he was their main hope in the series. The Canes used their third goalie, I guess they are just gluttons for punishment too.
Domingue, despite all his shortcomings, did give the team a chance to win the series. An unfit Jarry would almost certainly have been worse - 2012 MAF level of bad.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
But his foot is almost assuredly no longer broken, right? I don’t think he’d be on the ice if it were
With broken bones, there is a risk of a rebreak if you do too much before it heals. That's why rehab is progressive - it gets more intense the further it goes along. If you can handle X, then you move on to Y. There is a psychological component, too, especially for a goalie. Can you push off? Can you move side to side? What happens in this position or that position?

I think people are really grasping at straws if they think Sullivan is intentionally holding out Jarry for the ideal scenario. The moment Jarry gets a clean bill of health from the team doctors, he's the starter.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like for a goalie especially, there has to be a difference between physically able to play (he isn't going to reinjure his foot basically) and actually ready to play. Even if it just still really hurts he probably doesn't react like he should in terms of pushing off, etc. Skaters can get away with that a lot more I'd think, where a goalie simply can't function if he's not naturally reacting.

that said, what the hell do I know? I could be talking out of my ass.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He gave up two bad goals. Score was 4-3 no?

When’s the last time a team was scoring at more than 4 goals a game? I could see 3 goals which is till high but giving them a chance. 4 nope.

Granted he didn’t blow the 5 on 3. He wasn’t the only reason they lost. But he also was not good. But that’s to be expected from a third string goalie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
When’s the last time a team was scoring at more than 4 goals a game? I could see 3 goals which is till high but giving them a chance. 4 nope.

Granted he didn’t blow the 5 on 3. He wasn’t the only reason they lost. But he also was not good. But that’s to be expected from a third string goalie.
There are actually 4 teams scoring 4 goals per game so far these playoffs. Another 7 are 3+ (4 of those 3.5+). This season is actually pretty ridiculous in terms of scoring. Hell, the freaking Panthers were over 4 g/gp in the regular season. Since 2000, 9 teams have scored over 300 goals in the regular season. 5 of them were this year. That's nuts.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
With broken bones, there is a risk of a rebreak if you do too much before it heals. That's why rehab is progressive - it gets more intense the further it goes along. If you can handle X, then you move on to Y. There is a psychological component, too, especially for a goalie. Can you push off? Can you move side to side? What happens in this position or that position?

I think people are really grasping at straws if they think Sullivan is intentionally holding out Jarry for the ideal scenario. The moment Jarry gets a clean bill of health from the team doctors, he's the starter.

There are also different types of breaks, like a hairline fracture isn't going to take 5 to 6 months to heal. So to build off the previous post, this was most certainly a hairline fracture to even be on the ice this soon. Dependent on the severity of it 6 to 8 weeks is the more common timeline, it's only been a month and he's on skates and taking shots. I'm gonna say he's not dealing with a typical break or one to the severity of that normal timeline. Like, had this been the playoffs that it happen in, he's playing through it with added protection on his skate.

Also, when bones heal that's the strongest part of the bone. The foot has some of the smaller bones in the body.

Sometimes the best way to know is the player and his answer to those questions.

I think "broken foot" is being over stated.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There are also different types of breaks, like a hairline fracture isn't going to take 5 to 6 months to heal. So to build off the previous post, this was most certainly a hairline fracture to even be on the ice this soon. Dependent on the severity of it 6 to 8 weeks is the more common timeline, it's only been a month and he's on skates and taking shots. I'm gonna say he's not dealing with a typical break or one to the severity of that normal timeline. Like, had this been the playoffs that it happen in, he's playing through it with added protection on his skate.

Also, when bones heal that's the strongest part of the bone. The foot has some of the smaller bones in the body.

or he really is pushing it and is just attempting to play on a broken foot 2 weeks before someone typically would. Really we just don't know enough about the injury to really say from the outside.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
or he really is pushing it and is just attempting to play on a broken foot 2 weeks before someone typically would. Really we just don't know enough about the injury to really say from the outside.

There are situations people have broken bones and don't even know it, this is tied to sports and every nick and hangnail is taken seriously. I agree we don't know the true severity, except, we know it can't be a clean break. He wouldn't even be on the ice.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That would suck for him to wait all year to try and redeem himself for last year and then get lit up on a bad foot after coming in cold for a game 7.

That said, we need him. I don't think we can win a game 7 on the road with Louis. That MSG crowd is gonna be frenzied and the Rangers already know that no lead against them is safe. They're not gonna roll over and die if we get a two goal lead on them early with Louis in net. But if Jarry is in net and looks sharp and we can build a lead....that might put more doubt. And might give this team more confidence for once to play their game.

I don't care how though I just want a win. But at least this series is over tomorrow for better or worse. I'm tired of the emotional rollercoaster that it is.

i think if Jarry can just come in and backstop the PK, it would be worth it lol

Reactions: Pancakes

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Or put him as a forward on PP1. He couldn't do worse than last night's assemblage.
1652560516484.gif

Are you challenging the great Todd Reirden? Hockeys’s favorite creepy uncle.

The only thing worse than his coaching is his hair. #shaveit

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know everyone is being doom and gloom but we can win tomorrow, regardless of the lineup we put out. Hockey is so random. You just never know.

Sure as rain, but what they have done the past two games isn't random. Now, they have let their better players wake up and the task is even harder.

Without some injection of some positivity of players returns, I can honestly say they haven't a chance. It isn't random they haven't won since Crosby went down.

You get Crosby, Rakell and Jarry back or just two of the 3 and I like their chances.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sure as rain, but what they have done the past two games isn't random. Now, they have let their better players wake up and the task is even harder.

Without some injection of some positivity of players returns, I can honestly say they haven't a chance. It isn't random they haven't won since Crosby went down.

You get Crosby, Rakell and Jarry back or just two of the 3 and I like their chances.
Agreed. They probably need to get some bodies back in there. Can't see them winning game 7 without at least one or two of those guys. Possible, yes, but minute chance.

I'll say this too. Whatever happens tomorrow, we won't be the only team dealing with crushing disappointment if we lose. Remember that one of Toronto or Tampa is going to lose today. One of Boston or Carolina will. One of Los Angeles or Edmonton will. I'd say all of those teams would feel super disappointed to lose today except for LA.

So you know....life will go on, one way or the other.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If Jarry plays tomorrow it's inexcusable and fireable that he didn't play last night. No chance I can be convinced otherwise
Even if Jarry plays tomorrow I doubt he’s actually healthy enough and ready to be playing. I think it’s more of a case of “we really need you to play through this now” instead of him being totally healthy

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Have you seen Tristan Jarry's medical records? Do you know his history, any compounding conditions he might have?

No. Then how can you possibly state with any integrity that a "broken foot is being overstated?"

We don't know where the break occurred. We don't know if it was a single big break or a few tiny fractures. The location within the foot and the severity of the fracture/break can alter the timeline and its impact on his pain level, flexibility, and strength.

We can play around on WebMD all you want, but the reality is that people heal differently. If doctors and a player determine he can't play, then fans need to deal with it. I would rather team doctors hold a player out, even if it's just a few days, to gain a better determination of a player's health status than to put a player back in and have them get reinjured. I don't care if it's a preseason game or Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. This is sports, not life or death.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
If jars doesn’t play tomorrow we’re cooked. Pretty sure if we had an empty net goal 4 wouldn’t have happened. We’ve put up enough goals. For the second year, goaltending is completely sinking us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad