I am ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Jets Go

2m65ut0.jpg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
[/QUOTE]

Great post. Blows a hole right through the idea that some people cling to that the only reason Vegas beat us last year was because of Fleury. Bottom line, we had fewer quality scoring chances than Vegas, though we threw a bunch of low quality shots on goal. Guess how you get a goalies SV% up? Throw a bunch of low quality shots on goal. Washington on the other hand used the well known strategy to get traffic in front of Fleury and crash the crease - works every time against Fleury. All you have to do is do it.

Hopefully against Binnington we won't just drift a bunch of easy shots through and then complain about his SV% costing us the series.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Great post. Blows a hole right through the idea that some people cling to that the only reason Vegas beat us last year was because of Fleury. Bottom line, we had fewer quality scoring chances than Vegas, though we threw a bunch of low quality shots on goal. Guess how you get a goalies SV% up? Throw a bunch of low quality shots on goal. Washington on the other hand used the well known strategy to get traffic in front of Fleury and crash the crease - works every time against Fleury. All you have to do is do it.

Hopefully against Binnington we won't just drift a bunch of easy shots through and then complain about his SV% costing us the series.

I would to see a reduction of shots on our net, to me it has been rather high.

Why can't we have both?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I try to be positive as I can, but today I am just feeling deep skepticism. The way the jets played the last 20 games will catch up with them. I sense a major ass-kicking coming. I have almost zero enthusiasm for these playoffs.

It also maybe better for the franchise if they do lose and change can come. I don't think the status quo will serve us well feel going forward.

I don't think I have ever felt more cynicism and negativity toward the Jets since they returned to the city.

Good teams don't 'flip switches'. That is such a stupid f ****** attitude.

Last edited:

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
I try to be positive as I can, but today I am just feeling deep skepticism. The way the jets played the last 20 games will catch up with them. I sense a major ass-kicking coming. I have almost zero enthusiasm for these playoffs.

It also maybe better for the franchise if they do lose and change can come. I don't think the status quo will serve us well feel going forward.

I don't think I have ever felt more cynicism and negativity toward the Jets since they returned to the city.

This is me too...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

But...but...offensive zone time!!

Yeah the Jets have been brutal giving up NZ turnovers and odd-man rushes against this year. I just don't like the way this Jets team matches up with the Blues. People were worried about Dallas? This is like a deeper Dallas Stars - more than 1 line of scoring, hard forecheck cutting off options and challenging every lane on breakouts - Jets Kryptonite. We'll see if the Jets can stuff them in the NZ. Buff gives them a shot, but he can't play 60 minutes a night.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I'm not too far away from the above myself. I wouldn't be shocked if the Blues swept us actually. I hope the Jets can make my skepticism look foolish - I'd love to eat a big plate full of crow. But I don't have a very positive outlook on this series based on how things have gone not just the last half of the season but all season long really - we won a lot of games in the first half of the year that we didn't necessarily deserve to win. I'm a believer in advanced stats and I think the numbers all season long have shown us to be a poor performing team. That's also why I'm not terribly optimistic that Buff and Morrisey will have a big positive effect - we weren't very good when they were in the line-up either.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Goals are going to be hard to come by. I really like that St. Louis defense. But we are the faster team. I like the way the team was using the boards in the offensive zone to get St. Louis chasing the puck. We have the RD that can break down a defense. We give up more 2 on 1 because of how aggressive our defense is, and our left side is not the most mobile. I'd give Kulikov one more game before inserting Beaulieu into the lineup. I honestly would not mind seeing Morrissey-Buff, Beaulieu-Trouba, Chiarot-Myers to balance out the speed and size from our defense.

The one thing I think we saw is that Laine has Binnington's number. He could have had a hatty. Giving him some different looks could be the difference if we can get traffic to the net.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Hopefully against Binnington we won't just drift a bunch of easy shots through and then complain about his SV% costing us the series.[/QUOTE]

Some people already claiming that Binni stole the game. Paying no attention whatsoever to the fact that they outplayed us and had a 70% higher expected goals for. It's already starting, the 'we got goalied' line of BS. Just like the same BS from last year with Vegas.

I'm not saying Helle played badly. He played well. St Louis just played better than us. Don't claim we got goalied, when we got outplayed and outchanced.

We need to get in Binni's face. Bodies in front and around the crease. Make it hard for him to see the puck. And get pucks to the net. Bodies in front cause deflections, rebounds, puck scrambles. Nothing easier for a dialed in keeper than perimeter shots or shots with a clear line of sight to the shooter.

Reactions: Jedub

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Try being a little more humble and get behind the team? :dunno:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I feel the same as you, feel despondent, it's just not the loss it's the last half of the season combined with the beginning of the series. I'm sure everyone here has taken a class in university where by half way point you knew there's no way you're going to end up with an A or A+, that you just don't have the range for the material to get an A+, the best you can do is a B, a B+ if everything goes right, that's what the feeling is for me with regards to the playoffs. Last season and even in the 2015 season it felt like anything could happen, this year is not the same feeling. :(

If a genie showed up tomorrow and offered a bargain that we'd get our 1st round pick back in exchange he'd modify the universe to make it so we never made the playoffs I'd be inclined to accept that bargain.

Many people want to put this on easy targets like Maurice or bit players like Myers and Kulikov but I don't think the answer is going to be that simple. During the early seasons of Jets 2.0 the top-6 was great and almost all the problems of the Jets were the goalie, bottom-6 and #6D- all problems that could theoretically be addressed with a good offseason and a couple of good trades. Right now the problem is not the bottom-6 or players at the fringes of the lineup or the goalie, the problem is the star players, something much harder to fix.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I feel tiny bit better than yesterday given they came out with intensity in the first 40 minute. Falling into a shell in the third was my worst fear realized, but at least they started well. There was some fight in them.

Beyond that I don't know what to think. Game 2 should be treated as a game 7. They have to think of it that way. Either way, we'll find out exactly what they're made of in no more than four days. At least I feel closer to getting hard questions answered.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I feel the same as you, feel despondent, it's just not the loss it's the last half of the season combined with the beginning of the series. I'm sure everyone here has taken a class in university where by half way point you knew there's no way you're going to end up with an A or A+, that you just don't have the range for the material to get an A+, the best you can do is a B, a B+ if everything goes right, that's what the feeling is for me with regards to the playoffs. Last season and even in the 2015 season it felt like anything could happen, this year is not the same feeling. :(

If a genie showed up tomorrow and offered a bargain that we'd get our 1st round pick back in exchange he'd modify the universe to make it so we never made the playoffs I'd be inclined to accept that bargain.

Many people want to put this on easy targets like Maurice or bit players like Myers and Kulikov but I don't think the answer is going to be that simple. During the early seasons of Jets 2.0 the top-6 was great and almost all the problems of the Jets were the goalie, bottom-6 and #6D- all problems that could theoretically be addressed with a good offseason and a couple of good trades. Right now the problem is not the bottom-6 or players at the fringes of the lineup or the goalie, the problem is the star players, something much harder to fix.

Don't. The problems are easily addressable.

Feel despondent if coach and team do nothing to address the problems in game 2.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I know there are complexities that I might be oversimplifying here but it really is simple:

Jets play their game, they win the series.

In game one the Jets played their game for about 35 minutes. They stopped the aggressive forecheck, they stopped hitting and stopped skating. They have done that too much this year.

Craig Berube is not some friggin genius that came up with some magical counter between the second and third that neutralized us. What happened to us was caused by us. Do people actually think that other teams do not prescout and know EXACTLY what systems and tendencies other teams have and have a plan to counter that BEFORE the game starts? C'mon!

There's also absolutely no f***ing way Paul Maurice told his team to sit back and stand around and be reactionary instead of forcing action on their opponent.

Something about this team is different from last year. I think they think they can just impose their skill on another team and win. They have proven they cannot, without will.

Consistently good teams find a game plan that suits their team makeup and play that way consistently. The Jets have deviated from that plan far too much this year.

We can win this series (and more) if we play Jets hockey from whistle to whistle. This team has proven incapable of that for long stretches this year which is the worry. We are healthy, we have good goaltending, we need execution.

Is Maurice blameless here? Absolutely not. The coach has to figure out why the team is not playing the style that is successful and find a way to get them playing like that. He's also not fantastic at roster management which is well established. This team has proven that it can do it, and do it for long stretches - so it's not personnel and it's not systems or game strategy.

I just don't think this team has the mental fortitude to all of the sudden wake tf up and play that game all the time.

If the coach can't figure it out, he will have to go, but some of the criticism on him is pretty silly round here.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im still not happy about that lost.

It burns. Imagine how the players feel.

Hope they get back their killer instinct thats been missing for awhile now.

Go Jets Go!!!!!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I know there are complexities that I might be oversimplifying here but it really is simple:

In game one the Jets played their game for about 35 minutes. They stopped the aggressive forecheck, they stopped hitting and stopped skating. They have done that too much this year.

Craig Berube is not some friggin genius that came up with some magical counter between the second and third that neutralized us. What happened to us was caused by us. Do people actually think that other teams do not prescout and know EXACTLY what systems and tendencies other teams have and have a plan to counter that BEFORE the game starts? C'mon!

There's also absolutely no ****ing way Paul Maurice told his team to sit back and stand around and be reactionary instead of forcing action on their opponent.

Something about this team is different from last year. I think they think they can just impose their skill on another team and win. They have proven they cannot, without skill.

Consistently good teams find a game plan that suits their team makeup and play that way consistently. The Jets have deviated from that plan far too much this year.

We can win this series (and more) if we play Jets hockey from whistle to whistle. This team has proven incapable of that for long stretches this year which is the worry. We are healthy, we have good goaltending, we need execution.

Is Maurice blameless here? Absolutely not. The coach has to figure out why the team is not playing the style that is successful and find a way to get them playing like that. He's also not fantastic at roster management which is well established. This team has proven that it can do it, and do it for long stretches - so it's not personnel and it's not systems or game strategy.

I just don't think this team has the mental fortitude to all of the sudden wake tf up and play that game all the time.

If the coach can't figure it out, he will have to go, but some of the criticism on him is pretty silly round here.

Great point.

Though sometimes. A voice, a voice that lead. People will follow and players will fight harder for.
They seem to freeze in the 3rd.

I dont know i am not in the room, but that close door meeting. It didnt go the why it suppose to be after it, when players would have listen and fight harder. Maybe one ear in one ear out.

Someone need to go out there and take the lead. Make a statement that i am not letting this team lose this game! Any which way players will feel it.

This team has the horses. Otherwise maybe they are not really good enough? But i believe they are.

Go Jets Go

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet and KingBogo

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Great point.

Though sometimes. A voice, a voice that lead. People will follow and players will fight harder for.
They seem to freeze in the 3rd.

I dont know i am not in the room, but that close door meeting. It didnt go the why it suppose to be after it, when players would have listen and fight harder. Maybe one rar in one ear out.

Someone need to go out there and take the lead. Make a statement that i am not letting this team lose this game! Any which way players will feel it.

This team has the horses. Otherwise maybe they are not really good enough? But i believe they are.

Go Jets Go
You are absolutely right. Blake Wheeler, Dustin Byfuglien, Mark Scheifele, Jacob Trouba - these are the men who have to lead the charge, execute, and lead by example.

Byfuglien had some good moments but where was he to turn the tide in the third? How did Scheifele not get the puck up in the dying minutes to tie the game? Why wasn't Blake Wheeler forcing the Jets game down the Blues throats in the third? Why did Adam Lowry stop hitting?

I think Tanev could have helped last night. You know he wouldn't have stopped hitting.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Go Jets Go
Imo that person was Laine in the first game. He just looked like “f*** this we are going to win “

Everyone else better get on board.

Reactions: PhilJets

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Don't. The problems are easily addressable.

Feel despondent if coach and team do nothing to address the problems in game 2.

If the problems are easily addressable...wouldn't they have been addressed at some point over the past half season?

I know I sound hopelessly pessimistic lately, and it's totally true that the Jets can still win this series - I hope they do. But I find it hard to avoid responding to comments like the above when they seem so full of logical holes. This team has been objectively pretty bad for half a season (and there is evidence that it wasn't all that good the first half either). What is there that would lead anyone to think issues that were evident in game #1 - and which have been pretty evident for some time now - are somehow "easily addressable"? From the outside it seems like they maybe should be easy to address...but so far they haven't been so who knows?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Serious question - what is the Jets' game this year? I really don't know what exactly is Jets Hockey this year.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->