Pre-Game Talk: ROUND 1 GAME 5 JETS vs WILD APR 20 6:30 CST - MOVIE NIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The truth hurts.
I will admit he has progressed from last year but his play last year was putrid. He's a little faster in moving the puck and doesn't ice it as much. Enstrom is the better D man though.

Toby is at best a $ 5million dollar "exercise bike rider" in the weight room, and we don't need his big bill, and no action anymore. I doubt that Chevy signs him for any more than $ 1.5 mil, only as a replacement, as the guy is to fragile. We are playing well, and winning just fine without Enstrom--who needs the "big bill." ??

Do we need a $ 5 million dollar bike rider to win ?? -- we're proving we don't.

Kulikov--"back problems"--they are not easy to fix--ask Tiger Woods who couldn't get out of bed for 6 months. After 3 surgeries that didn't work, he decided to have a disc in his back "fused" and so far it's working for Tiger--he got lucky- "no pain." so far, but he won't be getting drilled by 210 lb guys into the boards. I wish him well.

We could have damaged goods on our hands in Kulikov, as these back problems are not easy to fix, and often never get back to normal. I would not be surprised if we only get maybe 15-20 games out of Kulikov next year.

Considering this--we should be thankful we have Ben Chiarot who plays great, at a very affordable price, fitting into the team well, and we're winning with him in the lineup.

Reactions: raideralex99

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeh I’m not sure what people are seeing. His breakouts suck and he still ices the puck often.
His gaps are awful, the only time the Wild gain the zone with speed and control is usually when he is on the ice. Can't beat a forecheck with his skating either, he' strong in the corners and can win some battles, that's about the extent of my positives for him.

Oh, he can shoot hard too, there's that.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If people haven't been happy with Chiarot that's fine but don't talk like it's a open and shut case... the guy has been at his best the last few weeks and it's been a nice advantage having a guy who can hammer guys into the boards instead of allowing them to start a cycle every time. Him and Toby are complete opposite play styles but I don't think their overall value to the team is off by that much...

I think Chiarot needs a good puck mover beside him so him and Myers don't mesh well on our own side of center. But he's not a fun guy to play against for opposing skill forwards with relaxed playoff rules I know that much

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
@Mud Turtle
Did you do a Sister Act 2? Awesome job on the photoshop:sarcasm:
7DF9A5C9-F7ED-488B-B6E0-5742FB14EE2B.jpeg

Reactions: Mud Turtle and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The truth hurts.
I will admit he has progressed from last year but his play last year was putrid. He's a little faster in moving the puck and doesn't ice it as much. Enstrom is the better D man though.
I wouldn't argue with the last point. I can't wait til Toby gets back, but it's not because Chia has hurt the team IMO, it's because Toby is a great thinker and has been here since day one.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
If people haven't been happy with Chiarot that's fine but don't talk like it's a open and shut case... the guy has been at his best the last few weeks and it's been a nice advantage having a guy who can hammer guys into the boards instead of allowing them to start a cycle every time. Him and Toby are complete opposite play styles but I don't think their overall value to the team is off by that much...

I think Chiarot needs a good puck mover beside him so him and Myers don't mesh well on our own side of center. But he's not a fun guy to play against for opposing skill forwards with relaxed playoff rules I know that much
Great post. Toby makes us a better transition team and Ben makes us much tougher. Pick a poison.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I wouldn't argue with the last point. I can't wait til Toby gets back, but it's not because Chia has hurt the team IMO, it's because Toby is a great thinker and has been here since day one.
if Toby's back for the 2nd round, we'll be lucky. something's obviously really up there. think he's been away from practice for 3 weeks?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Toby is at best a $ 5million dollar "exercise bike rider" in the weight room, and we don't need his big bill, and no action anymore. I doubt that Chevy signs him for any more than $ 1.5 mil, only as a replacement, as the guy is to fragile. We are playing well, and winning just fine without Enstrom--who needs the "big bill." ??
Do we need a $ 5 million dollar bike rider to win ?? -- we're proving we don't.
Kulikov--"back problems"--they are not easy to fix--ask Tiger Woods who couldn't get out of bed for 6 months. After 3 surgeries that didn't work, he decided to have a disc in his back "fused" and so far it's working for Tiger--he got lucky- "no pain." so far, but he won't be getting drilled by 210 lb guys into the boards. I wish him well.
We could have damaged goods on our hands in Kulikov, as these back problems are not easy to fix, and often never get back to normal. I would not be surprised if we only get maybe 15-20 games out of Kulikov next year.
Considering this--we should be thankful we have Ben Chiarot who plays great, at a very affordable price, fitting into the team well, and we're winning with him in the lineup.
Toby's salary is done with...why even bring it up?
Chiarot is okay for a 7/8 D man. I'd be happy to see neither of them starting for the Jets next year...Morrissey De Haan and Kuli would be excellent.
You can't compare Chiarot's IQ with Enstrom's...or his passing. Next to Buff, Enstrom is the best passing D we have.
I agree that Chiarot has played some of his best hockey over the last 6 or so weeks but that doesn't make him Bobby Orr.
Having said all that, I will cheer for Chiarot because he is a Jet and I hope he gives it to Foligno and/or Needsaright tomorrow night.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Your assessment of chiarot is on par with your assessment of Dano A little off.

You certainly have that "right"-when the Poster says "free Dano"-- I say to myself--he's already free'd -- to exactly where he should be " in the press box." Guy is useless.;)

Reactions: larmex99

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Great post. Toby makes us a better transition team and Ben makes us much tougher. Pick a poison.
you mean:
Ben makes us tougher, which doesn't stop goals or get us goals, while Toby makes us a better transition team, which both prevent the other team from scoring off the turnover and lead to more scoring opportunities

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Toby's salary is done with...why even bring it up?
Chiarot is okay for a 7/8 D man. I'd be happy to see neither of them starting for the Jets next year...Morrissey De Haan and Kuli would be excellent.
You can't compare Chiarot's IQ with Enstrom's...or his passing. Next to Buff, Enstrom is the best passing D we have.
I agree that Chiarot has played some of his best hockey over the last 6 or so weeks but that doesn't make him Bobby Orr.
Having said all that, I will cheer for Chiarot because he is a Jet and I hope he gives it to Foligno and/or Needsaright tomorrow night.

I agree with some of this post -- but Enstrom just can't take the hits anymore, so what good is he doing for the team ? and the cost to resign him-forget it. If he could come back now and contribute--that would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I do agree he's smart, and makes great passes, when he's playing.

Kulikov--just wait and see --"big problems" with the back are not easy to fix. I hope by some magic they can fix it, because I like the guy.

I'm sure De Haan would be good if we can get him ?? haven't seen him play that much, but bear in mind, we have a ton of expensive young guys to sign here. Money and cost will come to bear in these new aquisitions.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I agree with some of this post -- but Enstrom just can't take the hits anymore, so what good is he doing for the team ? and the cost to resign him-forget it. If he could come back now and contribute--that would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I do agree he's smart, and makes great passes, when he's playing.
Kulikov--just wait and see --"big problems" with the back are not easy to fix. I hope by some magic they can fix it, because I like the guy.
I'm sure De Haan would be good if we can get him ?? haven't seen him play that much, but bear in mind, we have a ton of expensive young guys to sign here. Money and cost will come to bear in these new aquisitions.
What exactly is wrong with Kuli's back?
Enlighten me.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What exactly is wrong with Kuli's back ?
Enlighten me.

I'm sure that's the exact same question the "back doctors" are asking each other ?? They don't really know for sure, because the back contains the spinal column, all the discs, and the thousands of nerves, that send impulses to all the muscles etc.

When he smashed his back in Buffalo against an open gate, he probably mis-alligned some discs, and also created nerve damage. It's a very hard thing to fix. It's not like a torn knee ligament, which they do know how to fix. ( ACL etc.)

I've had friends who hurt their back years ago in car accidents, and they are still in pain many years later -- and the doctors don't really have any real answers, as modern medical science is a long ways away from knowing all the "solutions for back problems"

I don't know what's wrong with Kuli's back, but I did see his injury, and it's likely damaged quite badly. I hope somehow they can fix it, and get "lucky"--we'll see ?

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ben is fine. Enstrom is better give me a healthy enstrom any day. Dumb debate. Ben is much better than Melchori morrow soucy. He is also better than Niku in his own end which is where it counts. He is safer with the puck than Myers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd also take Perrault over Armia. What's that I can't have Perrault because he's injured again. It's the exact same situation with Chariot if Enstrom is healthy put him in, but he's not, now is he.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Has this come up yet? It seems pretty relevant:

Enstrom put up unreal numbers this year in terms of Corsi Against, Shots Against, High Danger Chances Against, Goals Against. 15th in the league in Goals-Against/60. The Jets system this season is built to limit HDCA but he was often playing pretty tough minutes (tougher than Kuli-Myers) and killing it. Super elite shutdown defenseman numbers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy looking like a genius again with the Morrow pickup.
At the time I thought, oh great just another plug who may take time away from someone better.
Very happy to be wrong!

I was not impressed with the pickup either. Wanted Chevy to have aimed higher, even if it cost more. Couldn't be happier so far.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Has this come up yet? It seems pretty relevant:

Enstrom put up unreal numbers this year in terms of Corsi Against, Shots Against, High Danger Chances Against, Goals Against. 15th in the league in Goals-Against/60. The Jets system this season is built to limit HDCA but he was often playing pretty tough minutes (tougher than Kuli-Myers) and killing it. Super elite shutdown defenseman numbers.

I had assumed, earlier in the season, that he was in decline and wouldn't be worth bringing back by next year. I have revised that opinion. :laugh:

Still not sure that he wants to come back. Just a guess but I'm thinking he may go back to Sweden. But if he wants to play he should be worth another year at least.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm sure that's the exact same question the "back doctors" are asking each other ?? They don't really know for sure, because the back contains the spinal column, all the discs, and the thousands of nerves, that send impulses to all the muscles etc.
When he smashed his back in Buffalo against an open gate, he probably mis-alligned some discs, and also created nerve damage. It's a very hard thing to fix. It's not like a torn knee ligament, which they do know how to fix. ( ACL etc.)
I've had friends who hurt their back years ago in car accidents, and they are still in pain many years later -- and the doctors don't really have any real answers, as modern medical science is a long ways away from knowing all the "solutions for back problems"
I don't know what's wrong with Kuli's back, but I did see his injury, and it's likely damaged quite badly. I hope somehow they can fix it, and get "lucky"--we'll see ?
The reason I'm asking is because you seem to know. You stated that he will only play 15-20 games next year without even knowing what is wrong with him or what part of the back is ailing him.
I like the line about carrying Myers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad