Pre-Game Talk: ROUND 1 GAME 5 JETS vs WILD APR 20 6:30 CST - MOVIE NIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Interesting how Myers has missed more time over his career than Toby but he is gettting a pass on this? If only Toby were 6’7”? I tend to agree that Toby seems like he is probably done but he is not our only fragile franky.

Some guys tend to always get a pass while others never get a pass because of what is “perceived” to be bad or what was perceived as bad at one time. Truth is it’s all about human psychology with these certain perceptions and they can be tough to get rid of, me included. This is why when we have had a guy like Garret come in and not only confirmed what I(or others) always “thought” of Enstrom’s play being very effective but change what people thought at one time is so important. Because it educates is on things that we perhaps don’t understand yet or can open doors to understandin things on a deeper level.

Ok that’s all I got. Lol Alcohol can bring out some deeper thoughts in me and I’m finally watching the ACMs from Sunday so take that for what you will. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Size makes a difference, Sure the league is looking for speed but when speed is in a big body opposed to a small, I’ll take the big guy.
Myers was out for an entire year str8.
Toby gets hurt, comes back , gets hurt , comes back ... rinse repeat

Myers has had lots of injury issues over the years and is every bit as big a threat to miss games and he has just turned 28. When Toby was 28 he had missed much less hockey in his careers.

Reactions: Jets2point0

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Myers has had lots of injury issues over the years and is every bit as big a threat to miss games and he has just turned 28. When Toby was 28 he had missed much less hockey in his careers.
Father Time has caught up with Toby, his body cannot handle it anymore , Myers still has a few years left

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What’s the point of ranking Chairot against our other d-men? It’s not like we have many choices these days.

At any rate, I am generally fine with his play and he brings some toughness, which is always appreciated in the playoffs.

Eventually (we hope), the choice will be between Morrow and Chairot once Enstrom is finally healthy (assuming we don’t lose anyone else to injury).

But really Guff --do you think that Enstrom will ever be able to "stay healthy" considering his size, and fragile body. He's proving he just can't do it anymore. If you owned the Jet's would you be willing to pay him "big bucs"-considering how fragile he is, and it's only going to get worse. Last year, someone slammed him into the boards, and he was done for the year. I don't believe that would happen to Buff, or Chiarot, or Trouba.

So where do you go with Toby--how long, and how much to you resign him for ??? Just think of it-- as your money being "invested in a guy"-- how deep do you go with Toby-if he wants to resign ???

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

But really Guff --do you think that Enstrom will ever be able to "stay healthy" considering his size, and fragile body. He's proving he just can't do it anymore. If you owned the Jet's would you be willing to pay him "big bucs"-considering how fragile he is, and it's only going to get worse. Last year, someone slammed him into the boards, and he was done for the year. I don't believe that would happen to Buff, or Chiarot, or Trouba.

So where do you go with Toby--how long, and how much to you resign him for ??? Just think of it-- as your money being "invested in a guy"-- how deep do you go with Toby-if he wants to resign ???

I would only go for a 1 year deal @ $2.2M or so or just pass at this point. Need to find our cap savings somewhere and agreed, I am concerned about his durability.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If Enstrom wants to play in the NHL next season, I have no doubt the Jets will offer him a contract that pays him like the above average bottom pairing defenseman he would be on the Jets next year.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If people haven't been happy with Chiarot that's fine but don't talk like it's a open and shut case... the guy has been at his best the last few weeks and it's been a nice advantage having a guy who can hammer guys into the boards instead of allowing them to start a cycle every time. Him and Toby are complete opposite play styles but I don't think their overall value to the team is off by that much...

I think Chiarot needs a good puck mover beside him so him and Myers don't mesh well on our own side of center. But he's not a fun guy to play against for opposing skill forwards with relaxed playoff rules I know that much

Couldn’t agree more. I like what Enstrom brings to the team, but lately it’s taking a big risk having him play because it’s likely he doesn’t finish the game.

Yeah, in game injuries can happen to anyone as we are experts on that subject, but with Enstrom the likelihood seems higher and in a playoff game I’d rather not take that chance especially knowing he’s been hampered by something for awhile now. Chiarot is more durable and hasn’t been playing horribly.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
All this Chiarot talk has me thinking ... watch him score a goal tomorrow night!!

Would be nice for him. Morrow got his to open the series. Chiarot can get his to close it out.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would only go for a 1 year deal @ $2.2M or so or just pass at this point. Need to find our cap savings somewhere and agreed, I am concerned about his durability.

I agree with you here Guff -- I'd only go 1 year @ $ 1.5 million. Before I'd do that, if I was Chevy, I'd call Maurice and Chipman into my office and ask how they would prefer the $ 1.5 mil be spent ??

2 OPTIONS

1) give the $ 1.5 mil to Toby

OR

2) Give it to Chiarot and Morrow for a raise--they would split it.

Maurice's opinion would be the most influential vote for me on this--and of course, I guess Chipman could overrule any decision, but he likely would not.

I actually think Toby may be a little scared to go back in the lineup, after having his face busted up in the playoffs last year-- not sure about this, but it has crossed my mind ?? He knows he's at the end of the line now, in his hockey career.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would be more concerned with Myers longevity than Enstrom.

You may have a good point on Myers, and they will have to cross that bridge when they come to it. I would think if he plays most or all of next year--they re-sign him, and if not, they likely will trade him off. His contract is over following next season I believe.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
For some reason I thought the game was on today and spent all day at work looking forward to watching on my commute.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with you here Guff -- I'd only go 1 year @ $ 1.5 million. Before I'd do that, if I was Chevy, I'd call Maurice and Chipman into my office and ask how they would prefer the $ 1.5 mil be spent ??
2 OPTIONS

1) give the $ 1.5 mil to Toby

OR

2) Give it to Chiarot and Morrow for a raise--they would split it.
Maurice's opinion would be the most influential vote for me on this--and of course, I guess Chipman could overrule any decision, but he likely would not.
I actually think Toby may be a little scared to go back in the lineup, after having his face busted up in the playoffs last year-- not sure about this, but it has crossed my mind ?? He knows he's at the end of the line now, in his hockey career.
I doubt $1.5M is enough to sign Toby next year. If he wants to play another year it's probably going to cost at least $3M.

Chiarot is under contract next year so he doesn't get a raise. In fact, I might try shopping him around for a pick and just sign Morrow to his $715,000 qualifying offer and save $685,000 on Chiarot's salary/cap hit.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I doubt $1.5M is enough to sign Toby next year. If he wants to play another year it's probably going to cost at least $3M.

Chiarot is under contract next year so he doesn't get a raise. In fact, I might try shopping him around for a pick and just sign Morrow to his $715,000 qualifying offer and save $685,000 on Chiarot's salary/cap hit.

I don't think he'll take 1.5, but I'd be shocked if he takes over 3. I'd sign for 2.5, but probably not any more than that. We do have slight Cap flexibility next year, before the contracts really hit us hard.

Next year the window will be as open as it will ever be. It's why winning at least a round is so key this year. Winning a round, and at least pushing NSH, will make up for missing last year in our development cycle.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Man, work is going to drag tomorrow.

e4e6ed2572187c32609e2f9f7f002392f931e4ab1ea660a69499733d8c765b92

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Father Time has caught up with Toby, his body cannot handle it anymore , Myers still has a few years left

I guess we’ll see I have Myers in the same high risk category as Bogosian, Toby, and Perreault but to each their own. You can’t count on any of these guys because none of them are durable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad