Pre-Game Talk: ROUND 1 GAME 5 JETS vs WILD APR 20 6:30 CST - MOVIE NIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I'm sure that's the exact same question the "back doctors" are asking each other ?? They don't really know for sure, because the back contains the spinal column, all the discs, and the thousands of nerves, that send impulses to all the muscles etc.

When he smashed his back in Buffalo against an open gate, he probably mis-alligned some discs, and also created nerve damage. It's a very hard thing to fix. It's not like a torn knee ligament, which they do know how to fix. ( ACL etc.)

I've had friends who hurt their back years ago in car accidents, and they are still in pain many years later -- and the doctors don't really have any real answers, as modern medical science is a long ways away from knowing all the "solutions for back problems"

I don't know what's wrong with Kuli's back, but I did see his injury, and it's likely damaged quite badly. I hope somehow they can fix it, and get "lucky"--we'll see ?

But MPI says my severe whiplash is muscle only and I should have recovered in 6-8 weeks.
I shouldn't still have shoulder and neck problems 6 years later...no, I'm just imagining it.

Sorry, off topic slightly. Back/neck injuries suck, a lot.

Reactions: Anton Hipchekhov

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
you mean:
Ben makes us tougher, which doesn't stop goals or get us goals, while Toby makes us a better transition team, which both prevent the other team from scoring off the turnover and lead to more scoring opportunities
Couldn't tougher and hard to play against also suppress scoring? As far as leading to more scoring opportunities, we finally have plenty of forwards who can accomplish that.

I'm not a Toby hater but I question his durability and effectiveness at this point in his career. Especially in a tough series. I'm sure he could come back and be effective for a while but I doubt he lasts very long. It's nice to have a guy like Chiarot step in for him when needed because as Flair has stated, I don't think it hurts us much.

Hey maybe Mo starts alternating them...appease both camps and also gives Toby more bounce-back time for the old bones. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
But MPI says my severe whiplash is muscle only and I should have recovered in 6-8 weeks.
I shouldn't still have shoulder and neck problems 6 years later...no, I'm just imagining it.

Sorry, off topic slightly. Back/neck injuries suck, a lot.

I feel sorry for anyone who lives with chronic back pain forever it seems. I once strained some back muscles and I was in bed for 2 days, til I could walk again.

Even a severe toothache can almost paralyze your jaw. I feel for you, but I know MPI doesn't --they don't want to pay out. How do you prove you have pain??? U can't !!!

Reactions: Snot Rocket

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The reason I'm asking is because you seem to know. You stated that he will only play 15-20 games next year without even knowing what is wrong with him or what part of the back is ailing him.
I like the line about carrying Myers though.

Maybe even "you" are hoping for Myer's to get back, even though you hate him so much. Maybe your love for the Jet's to win, supersedes your bitter feelings ?? hope so

In order to have a deep playoff run--we'll need Myers-he's a great defenseman.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

I feel sorry for anyone who lives with chronic back pain forever it seems. I once strained some back muscles and I was in bed for 2 days, til I could walk again.

Even a severe toothache can almost paralyze your jaw. I feel for you, but I know MPI doesn't --they don't want to pay out. How do you prove you have pain??? U can't !!!
It's better more often than not thanks to my awesome ART Physio guy and ART Chiro guy. I still have flare ups but pain is no longer a colour or state of being that goes into the background.

I hope Kuli does not end up like Clitsome.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Fab you luss! :laugh:

Best PGT ever! Pretty sure Beyak is over 40. Have no idea (and don't want any!) if he is still a virgin, or not. :laugh:

Thanks. I know he’s well over 40, 50...
but when I was trying to think of something different for Beyak other than tight turns, a pair of 55’s, game number 999 etc - and the movie came to mind, I just couldn’t resist!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Toby is at best a $ 5million dollar "exercise bike rider" in the weight room, and we don't need his big bill, and no action anymore. I doubt that Chevy signs him for any more than $ 1.5 mil, only as a replacement, as the guy is to fragile. We are playing well, and winning just fine without Enstrom--who needs the "big bill." ??

Do we need a $ 5 million dollar bike rider to win ?? -- we're proving we don't.

Kulikov--"back problems"--they are not easy to fix--ask Tiger Woods who couldn't get out of bed for 6 months. After 3 surgeries that didn't work, he decided to have a disc in his back "fused" and so far it's working for Tiger--he got lucky- "no pain." so far, but he won't be getting drilled by 210 lb guys into the boards. I wish him well.

We could have damaged goods on our hands in Kulikov, as these back problems are not easy to fix, and often never get back to normal. I would not be surprised if we only get maybe 15-20 games out of Kulikov next year.

Considering this--we should be thankful we have Ben Chiarot who plays great, at a very affordable price, fitting into the team well, and we're winning with him in the lineup.
It’s very safe to say we can win without him.
I’d be ok with a minimal cap hit if he wants to stay tho

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Toby's salary is done with...why even bring it up?
Chiarot is okay for a 7/8 D man. I'd be happy to see neither of them starting for the Jets next year...Morrissey De Haan and Kuli would be excellent.
You can't compare Chiarot's IQ with Enstrom's...or his passing. Next to Buff, Enstrom is the best passing D we have.
I agree that Chiarot has played some of his best hockey over the last 6 or so weeks but that doesn't make him Bobby Orr.
Having said all that, I will cheer for Chiarot because he is a Jet and I hope he gives it to Foligno and/or Needsaright tomorrow night.
I seriously wonder if I am watching the same game as those who think Chia is not a 5/6 Dean. He has been solid and brings a physical game this team needs

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Of course I want Myers back, why wouldn't I? He is much better than Chiarot, Poolman, Niku and even Morrow. My complaint about him has always been bang for the buck and I can't see him, Trouba and Buff all on the right side next year and he is by far the poorest player of the three...especially on his side of the blue line.
You can say what you want but when you state Trouba is playing poorly to get traded and Chiarot is a good D man because he is tough and has a hard shot and Armia should play D, it takes away some credibility.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I seriously wonder if I am watching the same game as those who think Chia is not a 5/6 Dean. He has been solid and brings a physical game this team needs

We don't even need him as more than a capable 7th guy. Which makes all the criticism about his play more confusing to me. Guy is being asked to play over his head and he's doing it well. Like hes been a huge liability at times but the last month not at all. Hes been contributing a bit not just along for the ride

Reactions: adammlis and GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well, he certainly isn't a 5/6 D man on the Jets when the team is healthy....7th or 8th.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said I hated Myers. I hate Perry, Kesler and Boudreau but I don't hate Myers.
Of course I want Myers back, why wouldn't I? He is much better than Chiarot, Poolman, Niku and even Morrow. My complaint about him has always been bang for the buck and I can't see him, Trouba and Buff all on the right side next year and he is by far the poorest player of the three...especially on his side of the blue line.
You can say what you want but when you state Trouba is playing poorly to get traded and Chiarot is a good D man because he is tough and has a hard shot and Armia should play D, it takes away some credibility.

Well, I'm glad to know you'd like to see Myers back -we'll need him to go deep. You may have not said you hated him, but you said lot's of bad things about him on these boards. Maybe you were drunk ?? :huh:

As for Chiarot--he is a good defenseman, and we're lucky to have him-- not just because he's tough, and has a great shot. He does what a D-man is supposed to do-go in the corners and get the puck out of the defensive end, and also hammer guys into the boards--like Buff does, and also clear guys out of the front of the net.

There's things that Ben does, that Toby cannot, and visa versa-- but I like him. He's not as smooth a skater as Toby or as slick a passer--but he's not bad at all. On the other hand--Toby is to old, and to soft to be a Dman in this league now, especially in the playoffs. If he comes back this year, he'll get knocked out pretty quickly.

As for Armia on defense--if you read my post, I'm saying I'd like to see how he'd make out at that position ?? I don't know ?? put he steals pucks, is a great stick handler, and a decent playmaker, and has good size. If we're tight for D-men, I'd give him a shot during the regular Season if I were Maurice. See what happens ??

Most important - whether we agree or not on certain players--we still have the most important thing in common-- we both want out home town team-The Jets to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: adammlis

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We don't even need him as more than a capable 7th guy. Which makes all the criticism about his play more confusing to me. Guy is being asked to play over his head and he's doing it well. Like hes been a huge liability at times but the last month not at all. Hes been contributing a bit not just along for the ride
Agreed Chiarot and I'll add Morrow get crapped on far too often IMO. To many they aren't NHL caliber defenseman yet they have been everyday players on a team that is up 3-1 in a playoff series. A team that at times that has looked dominant. I'm scared to think where we'd be without them.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I hope they close it out in game 5.

Go JETS Go

Still lots to give

2nd and 3rd leading goal scorers hasnt potted a goal yet.

It would be nice if they can get their 1st playoff goals.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Agreed Chiarot and I'll add Morrow get crapped on far too often IMO. To many they aren't NHL caliber defenseman yet they have been everyday players on a team that is up 3-1 in a playoff series. A team that at times that has looked dominant. I'm scared to think where we'd be without them.

Healthy? :sarcasm:

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Why would you get rid of your #4 for your #7?
He is no longer a #4.
I will take Chia at 82 games opossed to Toby at 12 games per season.
During playoffs other teams target the left side and beat down Toby, haven’t seen anyone trying that with Chia to the same extent. Now if your talking Toby 5 years ago, I would not make that statement. His body is done

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He is no longer a #4.
I will take Chia at 82 games opossed to Toby at 12 games per season.
During playoffs other teams target the left side and beat down Toby, haven’t seen anyone trying that with Chia to the same extent. Now if your talking Toby 5 years ago, I would not make that statement. His body is done

Interesting how Myers has missed more time over his career than Toby but he is gettting a pass on this? If only Toby were 6’7”? I tend to agree that Toby seems like he is probably done but he is not our only fragile franky.

Reactions: Duke749

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Interesting how Myers has missed more time over his career than Toby but he is gettting a pass on this? If only Toby were 6’7”? I tend to agree that Toby seems like he is probably done but he is not our only fragile franky.
Size makes a difference, Sure the league is looking for speed but when speed is in a big body opposed to a small, I’ll take the big guy.
Myers was out for an entire year str8.
Toby gets hurt, comes back , gets hurt , comes back ... rinse repeat

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Great post Bogo- and your "so right"--about Morrow -I didn't mention him because I was to busy defending Chiarot, who some people were trashing-but a lot of posters starting to like him now.

On Morrow--the guy impresses me as well - from what I've read, he's a former # 1 draft pick, who never had a chance given to him and fit in with a club. I give Chevy credit for having a good eye for these kind of "gems" that are overlooked- like Perrault was as well. That Chevy is a gem of a GM as well -just look at our record !!!

To me-Morrow is a smooth skating defenseman, and I think has a great shot and handles the puck well -- the guy looks like a keeper and a real winner. Thank God we have Morrow and Chiarot, because if we didn't--we'd be in big trouble now with all our left side D-men out.

I know some posters say Enstrom is the best of them-- but what good is he with his $ 5 million dollar price tag, and he's out after he gets hit a couple times ? I think we need a younger , bigger, and tougher guy--especially for the playoffs. Also a guy that will fit into the financial profile of the Jets to allow them to sign the young stars, that will be coming up--Laine, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, and Wheeler to renew--it will be expensive, and maybe Morrow, and Chiarot will be a blessing in disguise to make it all work.

In summary -- I don't think we'll miss a beat with Morrow and Chiarot in the lineup--especially when Morrissey returns after his 1 game suspension- we're looking good, and if Helle stays strong--"look out"--we could turn a lot of heads, and go very deep into the playoffs--we have the talent.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Great post Bogo- and your "so right"--about Morrow -I didn't mention him because I was to busy defending Chiarot, who some people were trashing-but a lot of posters starting to like him now.

On Morrow--the guy impresses me as well - from what I've read, he's a former # 1 draft pick, who never had a chance given to him and fit in with a club. I give Chevy credit for having a good eye for these kind of "gems" that are overlooked- like Perrault was as well. That Chevy is a GM as well -just look at our record !!!

To me-Morrow is a smooth skating defenseman, and I think has a great shot and handles the puck well -- the guy looks like a keeper and a real winner. Thank God we have Morrow and Chiarot, because if we didn't--we'd be in big trouble now with all our left side D-men out.

I know some posters say Enstrom is the best of them-- but what good is he with his $ 5 million dollar price tag, and he's out after he gets hit a couple times ? I think we need a younger , bigger, and tougher guy--especially for the playoffs. Also a guy that will fit into the financial profile of the Jets to allow them to sign the young stars, that will be coming up--Laine, Connor, Trouba, Morrissey, and Wheeler to renew--it will be expensive, and maybe Morrow, and Chiarot will be a blessing in disguise to make it all work.

In summary -- I don't think we'll miss a beat with Morrow and Chiarot in the lineup--especially when Morrissey returns after his 1 game suspension- we're looking good, and if Helle stays strong--"look out"--we could turn a lot of heads, and go very deep into the playoffs--we have the talent.

I agree GNP. They have both been very good. I always liked Chiarot and couldn’t figure out why so many people didn’t like him. Other than icing the puck too often that is.
But I really misjudged Morrow. I just assumed because Montreal didn’t like him that he wasn’t good at all. What a great surprise he has been.

Reactions: Jmiller1 and GNP

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
What’s the point of ranking Chairot against our other d-men? It’s not like we have many choices these days.

At any rate, I am generally fine with his play and he brings some toughness, which is always appreciated in the playoffs.

Eventually (we hope), the choice will be between Morrow and Chairot once Enstrom is finally healthy (assuming we don’t lose anyone else to injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->