GDT: Round 1 Game 4 || Tampa Bay @ Columbus || Elimination Game

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Just as I predicted — a sweep. Only problem is I thought it would be Tampa holding the brooms.

Was not a fan of the deadline moves nor had any faith in Bob to overcome his playoff daemons.

Having been at the very first game 19 years ago and suffered through so many disappointments I could not be happier to have been proven wrong!

Too many great things to say about this series to list them all here but that was as complete a team effort as I have ever seen from this franchise. No passengers.

I cannot get enough of how much the Jackets are being talked about right now in this city. My phone has blown up from a lot of people I haven’t talked to in years calling and texting their excitement.

On to round two baby! Get greedy!

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
IMG_1347.jpg
Snapchat-41069099.jpg
C

Courtesy of the Upper Arlington Community for the players that live here for their return home last night.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Look at this line of extra guys. Elvis is taller than Kinkaid.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Unlike some of you, I’m not a Day One CBJ fan — far from it, in fact. I’ve been a hockey fan my whole life, since I was a little kid playing street hockey in Greektown in Toronto, pretending I was Mike Modano or Felix Potvin. Then we left Toronto when I was six years old and I grew up mostly in Baltimore, where there wasn’t an obvious team for me to follow — the Caps were the closest, but f*** DC, I’m from Baltimore. The Flames were nominally my favorite team, after their run to the Cup finals, but we didn’t have cable, much less the Center Ice package, so I never really developed much of an attachment to the team beyond watching Iginla and Kiprusoff highlights. My extended family, all Maritimers, were Montreal fans, and when I went to school in Halifax, I tried that for a bit, but it didn’t really fit either. Mainly, I just cheered for the Canadian teams (especially during the Olympics) and, out of a natural preference for the underdog, whoever was playing the Penguins or Red Wings in the playoffs.

Then I finished university and my first job was at a small newspaper near Toledo. And of course, being an adult now, I wanted what I’d never had as a kid: cable TV, and with it, the ability to really, truly pick one hockey team and follow it carefully, watch every game, follow every little roster move, etc. And living in the Toledo area, I had two choices as to which team that would be. I could go with the Red Wings, a proud, storied Original Six team that had been good my entire life and still had a number of the stars i’d grown up watching, or the Blue Jackets, a 2000 expansion team that had just capped the greatest season in franchise history with a first-round playoff exit and who had exactly one player with whom I had more than a passing familiarity. I didn’t even have to think about it: from that day forward, I’ve been a Blue Jackets fan.

That first season, 2014-15, was rough, as we all remember — injuries destroyed the team’s depth to the point where Jack Skille, Corey Tropp and Jeremy Morin were getting first line minutes. But I didn’t care — this was my team now, and I was going to stick with it. I got attached, to Cam and Calvert and Dubi and Foligno and Johansen and JMFJ and of course Bob. The hot streak they ended the year on gave me hope, and even though I left Ohio that summer, the Jackets stayed with me. They’re my team, and they’ll always be my team.

So, in conclusion, thank you to all the Day One (or Day Two, or Three, or Four) fans who stood by this team through all the lean years, and who helped grow Columbus hockey into what it is today, and who helped build the bandwagon that latecomers like myself jumped onto. This win is sweet to me after five years as a CBJ fan, I can only imagine what it’s like having been through twenty. Enjoy it, and get ready for the next series. There’s even greater things still to come.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unlike some of you, I’m not a Day One CBJ fan — far from it, in fact. I’ve been a hockey fan my whole life, since I was a little kid playing street hockey in Greektown in Toronto, pretending I was Mike Modano or Felix Potvin. Then we left Toronto when I was six years old and I grew up mostly in Baltimore, where there wasn’t an obvious team for me to follow — the Caps were the closest, but **** DC, I’m from Baltimore. The Flames were nominally my favorite team, after their run to the Cup finals, but we didn’t have cable, much less the Center Ice package, so I never really developed much of an attachment to the team beyond watching Iginla and Kiprusoff highlights. My extended family, all Maritimers, were Montreal fans, and when I went to school in Halifax, I tried that for a bit, but it didn’t really fit either. Mainly, I just cheered for the Canadian teams (especially during the Olympics) and, out of a natural preference for the underdog, whoever was playing the Penguins or Red Wings in the playoffs.

Then I finished university and my first job was at a small newspaper near Toledo. And of course, being an adult now, I wanted what I’d never had as a kid: cable TV, and with it, the ability to really, truly pick one hockey team and follow it carefully, watch every game, follow every little roster move, etc. And living in the Toledo area, I had two choices as to which team that would be. I could go with the Red Wings, a proud, storied Original Six team that had been good my entire life and still had a number of the stars i’d grown up watching, or the Blue Jackets, a 2000 expansion team that had just capped the greatest season in franchise history with a first-round playoff exit and who had exactly one player with whom I had more than a passing familiarity. I didn’t even have to think about it: from that day forward, I’ve been a Blue Jackets fan.

That first season, 2014-15, was rough, as we all remember — injuries destroyed the team’s depth to the point where Jack Skille, Corey Tropp and Jeremy Morin were getting first line minutes. But I didn’t care — this was my team now, and I was going to stick with it. I got attached, to Cam and Calvert and Dubi and Foligno and Johansen and JMFJ and of course Bob. The hot streak they ended the year on gave me hope, and even though I left Ohio that summer, the Jackets stayed with me. They’re my team, and they’ll always be my team.

So, in conclusion, thank you to all the Day One (or Day Two, or Three, or Four) fans who stood by this team through all the lean years, and who helped grow Columbus hockey into what it is today, and who helped build the bandwagon that latecomers like myself jumped onto. This win is sweet to me after five years as a CBJ fan, I can only imagine what it’s like having been through twenty. Enjoy it, and get ready for the next series. There’s even greater things still to come.

I'm a day one fan, but in other respects your story is oddly similar to mine. I was going to high school near Toledo when the Jackets entered the league. I was a huge hockey fan already. The Oilers were my favorite team because of the Cape Breton Oilers (my family is from the Maritimes too). Most hockey people around me were huge Red Wings fans but I couldn't stand rooting for the big dog. I embraced the Jackets, and even though I left Ohio after high school and have no remaining connections there, the Jackets stayed my main team. Yeah, they were a bad team at times, but they were bad when I started liking them, that wasn't going to make me root for someone else. I have to say that the character of the players, guys like Foligno and Jenner, has made it very easy for me to root for them. I can understand the extra frustrations that season ticket holders may have felt, I wasn't paying for anything, so extra props for those who stuck it out all these years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can understand the extra frustrations that season ticket holders may have felt, I wasn't paying for anything, so extra props for those who stuck it out all these years.
Likewise. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've been able to afford occasional tickets at all. (Which probably helps me keep my equilibrium. ;) ).

I suppose if I really stretched I could refer to myself as Day One - we had a vague familiarity with the team and what it was up to because Papa worked for and I was interning at CoreComm (which used to sponsor the practice facility) and so I have a small amount of Day One swag in my possession, but I didn't really get to paying attention with any regularity or investment until after the lockout, in the twilight years of the MacLean administration. George Matthews calls got me hooked, and trying to learn more about first the Hitchcock hiring and eventually the MacLean firing ultimately got me here. :)

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I wonder how Jack Johnson is feeling this morning lol. No ill will towards the guy but I find the tables being turned on him to be rather funny.
Reminds me a little of when Hossa lost in the finals with Pitt VS Detroit in 07 and he lost playing for Detroit VS Pitt in 08.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Reminds me a little of when Hossa lost in the finals with Pitt VS Detroit in 07 and he lost playing for Detroit VS Pitt in 08.

Yeah I remember that time for Hossa, went better for him once he got to the Hawks. I was born the year after the Hawks won the cup in 61. and followed them throughout my lifetime. Then the Jackets came along had 4 PSL's between 8 folks. Young kids that didn't really enjoy the games.. so I sold my interest and started buying tickets to a few games a year. My family is from Canada so I grew up with hockey, and I used to listen to the radio when the Hawks were blacked out.. something I later did with the Jackets just because I enjoyed the broadcasts of George Matthews. I have watched some great Hockey playoff series. I remember Gretzky and Kuri.. the decades of great Habs teams.. the Isle, the Bruins and the Pens.. what Columbus just did to the All Star Lightening team may be one of the best 4 game stretches I have witnessed. 13 different Blue Jackets scored in this series.. Bob was outstanding, every player that hit the ice did something positive. Texier is tur, ning into a sniper.. really hard to believe he has played in 6 NHL games? I love Josh Anderson he is turning into a great power forward, love Ollie and Cam but my new favorite player is a guy that i never liked Matty Duchene. This guy brings the goods every shift. Duchene can do it all. He and PLD are a helluva 1 / 2 punch down the middle. Lets GO Jackets!!!!

Reactions: Bobcat110 and Jaxs

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Yeah I remember that time for Hossa, went better for him once he got to the Hawks. I was born the year after the Hawks won the cup in 61. and followed them throughout my lifetime. Then the Jackets came along had 4 PSL's between 8 folks. Young kids that didn't really enjoy the games.. so I sold my interest and started buying tickets to a few games a year. My family is from Canada so I grew up with hockey, and I used to listen to the radio when the Hawks were blacked out.. something I later did with the Jackets just because I enjoyed the broadcasts of George Matthews. I have watched some great Hockey playoff series. I remember Gretzky and Kuri.. the decades of great Habs teams.. the Isle, the Bruins and the Pens.. what Columbus just did to the All Star Lightening team may be one of the best 4 game stretches I have witnessed. 13 different Blue Jackets scored in this series.. Bob was outstanding, every player that hit the ice did something positive. Texier is tur, ning into a sniper.. really hard to believe he has played in 6 NHL games? I love Josh Anderson he is turning into a great power forward, love Ollie and Cam but my new favorite player is a guy that i never liked Matty Duchene. This guy brings the goods every shift. Duchene can do it all. He and PLD are a helluva 1 / 2 punch down the middle. Lets GO Jackets!!!!
Nicely said LGJ.
Once hockey gets in someones life it rarely leaves. I have pictures of my dad holding me up on my double bladed skates on the frozen ponds in Rochester NY. He was transferred there from Columbus and fell in love with hockey. He introduced it to me and my brother and I ended up playing for 15 years.

He got transferred back to Columbus when I was young. Followed OSU hockey, the Owls and Chill. I played in the only competitive league in Columbus at the time. CAHA, which had house and travel. I was fortunate to play travel as. first year squirt going through all the age groups till high school. Then played one year at OU.

In 96, when the sales tax increase was voted down to fund an arena, I was bummed. Luckily, Mr Mac stepped up when Hunt?, bailed on privately funding an arena. The rest is history, yesterday being the jubilant peak so far as a CBJ day one fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad