GDT: Round 1 Game 4 || Tampa Bay @ Columbus || Elimination Game

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My family is from Canada so I grew up with hockey, and I used to listen to the radio when the Hawks were blacked out.. something I later did with the Jackets just because I enjoyed the broadcasts of George Matthews.
_fistbump__by_Rose_Rayne.gif

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'm a day one fan, but in other respects your story is oddly similar to mine. I was going to high school near Toledo when the Jackets entered the league. I was a huge hockey fan already. The Oilers were my favorite team because of the Cape Breton Oilers (my family is from the Maritimes too).
Funny, for me it was Calgary because of the Saint John Flames. The first pro hockey game I ever attended in person was a Saint John Flames game in early 2000. I can't remember exactly who played in that game (I was seven years old), but between Chris Clark, Jody Shelley and Martin St. Louis, there's a number of connections to the current CBJ on that 99-00 Saint John roster.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Funny, for me it was Calgary because of the Saint John Flames. The first pro hockey game I ever attended in person was a Saint John Flames game in early 2000. I can't remember exactly who played in that game (I was seven years old), but between Chris Clark, Jody Shelley and Martin St. Louis, there's a number of connections to the current CBJ on that 99-00 Saint John roster.

1994-95 was my last year in Cape Breton. I was ten years old. The Cape Breton Oilers had a speedy guy named Todd Marchant.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
1 thing i'm also thankful a lot is John Forslund, Whoever decided he will be pbp commentary for our series - Thank you! Even Piere wasn't able to ruin it (almost).

(I would have listen anyone but Rimer but.. it's nice to have THIS good alternative)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
We have had some really fast players through the years and most couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn

Could Geoff Sanderson. Couldn’t Jason Chimera

Can. Cam Atkinson Artemi Panarin. Alex Texier Josh AndersonOliver Bjorkstrand PLD, Boone Jenner, Seth Jones, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel

The Blue Jackets finally have some guys that have the speed, stick handling and sniping ability that i wanted for the team.. guys that have a little Mike Modano in their game.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I must be the only one who really enjoys Pierre McGuire's commentary. Yeah, he's a little cringey, but the dude is knowledgeable and expresses lots of passion in his work. No better example of it than his commentary on PLD's goal

He is a tad annoying with his smartest man in the room syndrome with the where people played junior hockey 12 years ago thing, or where people are from, but I can look passed that. Idk, I am a fan of his.

Reactions: Viqsi

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I must be the only one who really enjoys Pierre McGuire's commentary. Yeah, he's a little cringey, but the dude is knowledgeable and expresses lots of passion in his work. No better example of it than his commentary on PLD's goal

He is a tad annoying with his smartest man in the room syndrome with the where people played junior hockey 12 years ago thing, or where people are from, but I can look passed that. Idk, I am a fan of his.

I've always liked him and Panger. Yes at times they seem a bit know it all.. but its because they do. I like the fact pack guys that just free flow their thoughts as long as they know what they are talking about. I do understand why he isn't for everyone though

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I was 8 years old on Oct. 7, 2000. I walked out of Nationwide Arena in tears. My dad tried to console me in the parking lot: “There will be a lot more games son.” The ever-bright child I was: “Yeah, but there will never be another first game!” He couldn’t give a comeback to that one. :laugh:

Doubt either of us expected then that it’d take 19 years to finally win a series. I’m glad for both my parents that they got to experience the joy of Game 3 from the same seats that a poor kid’s heart was shattered with his father 19 years earlier. That same kid is hoping the schedule breaks the right way in the next round (or two or three) to allow him the opportunity to head back from Chicago (10/07/2000, going to a university with a ton of Blackhawks fans during the peak of their dynasty and now living in Chi makes me very fond of the Hawks, but I digress...) to see his first playoff win in person from those same seats where he’s experienced lots of great memories, and even more disappointing ones (including his only playoff game: the choke in game 3 of the 2014 Pittsburgh series).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
After all that, I'll just go ahead and say Mcguire is fine. He's got a good eye and he matches the intensity of the moment. There's a few milquetoast types between the benches that turn the game into a snoozefest, and I mostly just appreciate getting away from that. I have no problem with the geography stuff either, that's all good with me, if a bit repetitive.

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
As far as Pierre goes, he reminds me of that creepy uncle. Two instances in particular: referring to Letang as "Christopher" all the time while most just say, Letang or Chris and when he refers to Wilson as "Tommy." I don't know why the over formalization of one name and the under familiarization of the other hit a chord with me... It's the way Pierre says it, almost leeringly.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperGenius

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
As far as Pierre goes, he reminds me of that creepy uncle. Two instances in particular: referring to Letang as "Christopher" all the time while most just say, Letang or Chris and when he refers to Wilson as "Tommy." I don't know why the over formalization of one name and the under familiarization of the other hit a cord with me... It's the way Pierre says it, almost leeringly.
Mcguire non fans will enjoy this article about his brief tenure as Hartford Whalers coach:

MCGUIRE'S TENURE A BAD SITUATION

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Not sure about the rest of you, but this Old Guy has gone back and watched a couple of the DVR'd games. They put up a graphic toward the outset of game #2, which caused me to do some research.

Andre Vasileskiy - after a loss - regular season 13-0-1 .952 save %
Andre Vasileskiy - after a loss - this post season 0-3-0 .858 save %

The other thing I wondered about was the flurry of empty net goals. Vasy's GAA for the series = 3.67
I thought about the 19 goals. 4 were empty net (3 in game 4, 1 in game 3). The Power Play went 5 for 10 for the series. That's 9 of the 19 goals. Josh Anderson scored short-handed in Game #1. So the totals are;

9 even strength
5 power play
4 empty net
1 short-handed
0 penalty shot

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
1 thing i'm also thankful a lot is John Forslund, Whoever decided he will be pbp commentary for our series - Thank you! Even Piere wasn't able to ruin it (almost).

(I would have listen anyone but Rimer but.. it's nice to have THIS good alternative)

Sometime last playoffs I realized Forslund is the best commentator NBC has. I love Doc, but Forslund's calls are sublime. Love tuning in to games he calls.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Is Nutivarra done for the playoffs? Or is Portzline trying to be a smart*** with his tweet about Kucherov?

He was being a smartass about Kuch being done until the Fall. It had nothing to do with whether Nuti will or will not be back, as I'm sure he has no idea. I was hoping at least one of them (Nuti, Mcquaid or Murray) would be showing signs of being ready to go, but not looking promising. However, may be huge opportunity for Vlad.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sometime last playoffs I realized Forslund is the best commentator NBC has. I love Doc, but Forslund's calls are sublime. Love tuning in to games he calls.
He's play-by-play guy for the Carolina Hurricanes games and I tune in just to hear his call. I use to do the same thing with Marty Brenneman. I didn't care about the Reds, but his call, like Forslund's, is worth it.

Reactions: SuperGenius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad