GDT: Round 1 - Game 4: Flames @ Avalanche - Bury Them! - 8PM

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
D4cq2KNUwAEVZfz

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
This is a game where I think you have to give Bednar credit for adjusting on the fly. The Avs came in with the same gameplan, but the Flames switched to a hybrid 1-3-1 to clog up the neutral zone... which worked for over half the game (when Calgary was pressuring the defense hard). Bednar saw this and adjusted his defense. A way to break the 1-3-1 is to have the defensemen skate and pull the trap away from players and opening up seams. So Bednar threw caution to the wind and threw in extra Barrie shifts, and frequently put a righty on the left. The off side allowed them to protect the puck a bit easier and pull the trap. That was a smart adjustment and with the skill between Barrie and Makar, they can pull it off.
Wow man, I love those technical analysis, keep them coming, helps me get smarter about the game!

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
The biggest indicator of domination:
Team Stats
i
i
Shots3752
Hits3446
Faceoffs Won3638
Faceoff Win Percent48.651.4
Power Play Opportunities34
Power Play Goals11
Power Play Percentage33.325.0
Short Handed Goals00
Total Penalties52
Penalty Minutes106
Blocked Shots1916
Takeaways715
Giveaways26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Not feeling all that comfortable. Smiths been overachieving and Calgary has two home games left if this goes the distance. Need to summon the killer instinct to put them away as soon as possible.

Nah, we've got this series to the Colorado Avalanche vs the Calgary Out of bounds skiers.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Also this series really is making me sustain anxiety disorder, I simply walked around my house for the entire Cole delay of game penalty sequence because I just couldn't watch it.

I was watching on a 'free' stream and I just forwarded right through that no way am I watching an OT penalty kill during the playoffs.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Surprised they didn’t review for offsides or net off the moorings on that OT goal.
After the goal in OT was scored the refs did make a call to Toronto I think. I saw then all gather around the review area as the Avs celebrated and the flames left. Because of our luck in the regular season I had a mini heart attack as everyone else in the Can was celebrating.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Also this series really is making me sustain anxiety disorder, I simply walked around my house for the entire Cole delay of game penalty sequence because I just couldn't watch it.
I just stare at the penalty clock and try not to watch the play haha

Reactions: MacBradley

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Amazing comeback by the Avs is such a pivotal game. After the Flames 2nd goal they just engaged the afterburners and dominated until the OT goal.

To me the key up to now has been the “throw everything at net” strategy and the physical play.

Reactions: MacBradley

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

I must be getting old, bc, while I wasn’t calm, I was able to sit through the penalty kill. Of course, I also don’t watch playoff games sober, which helps. That said, when Mikko potted the OT winner I ran around the family room like a kid on Christmas morning after opening their most desired present...:sueme:

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
The biggest indicator of domination:
Team Stats
i
i
Shots3752
Hits3446
Faceoffs Won3638
Faceoff Win Percent48.651.4
Power Play Opportunities34
Power Play Goals11
Power Play Percentage33.325.0
Short Handed Goals00
Total Penalties52
Penalty Minutes106
Blocked Shots1916
Takeaways715
Giveaways26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So according to Flames logic, this is the first game the Avs actually won this series.

Oh wait, the refs missed 157 calls against the Avs and only 156 against the Flames...this one is still a Flames win!

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not feeling all that comfortable. Smiths been overachieving and Calgary has two home games left if this goes the distance. Need to summon the killer instinct to put them away as soon as possible.

I don’t think the guy that was unable to break .900 in the regular season will give them 3 more .920+ games. Maybe facing elimination will wake up their top line and counteract an off game from Smith. But we haven’t seen anything so far that leads me to believe that’ll happen. Even in the game they “blew us out” it didn’t feel like a bad game for us.

As long as our guys don’t start coasting and they keep pumping shots on net, this is a win. And considering MacKinnon is the guy leading the charge, I have little fear they’ll lose that competitive fire.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I just stare at the penalty clock and try not to watch the play haha
I must be getting old, bc, while I wasn’t calm, I was able to sit through the penalty kill. Of course, I also don’t watch playoff games sober, which helps. That said, when Mikko potted the OT winner I ran around the family room like a kid on Christmas morning after opening their most desired present...:sueme:
I used to be like that when I was younger and would walk away or change the channel. Now I just nervously sit through it.
I tend to try to have ten minutes of saved time added up on my DVR so I can fast-forward commercials and plays like that, but I was completely live yesterday. Not sure how you guys' do it watching OT hockey live. I am definitely more relaxed nervous when I can skip like ten seconds of action than nervous nervously sit through those ten seconds. But I gotta admit that after the Avs killed that penalty, I just knew we were going to win.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Looking at it again I might blame Andrighetto more for that flames second goal. All he had to do was look for an outlet not just skate up the ice for no f***in reason. Get him out the lineup guy is garbage.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
So, my missus goes to bed early. Me watch game. Me yell. Loud. Poke head into bedroom every few mins to see if I have woken her up from me yell at boob tube. OT. More yelling. Avs win. Fv*k yeah. More loud man voice. Many mins to calm down. Not possible. Head to bed. My missus is sitting up with phone glow on her face. Asks me “Did you know the Avalanche won?” I love my wife.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
So, my missus goes to bed early. Me watch game. Me yell. Loud. Poke head into bedroom every few mins to see if I have woken her up from me yell at boob tube. OT. More yelling. Avs win. Fv*k yeah. More loud man voice. Many mins to calm down. Not possible. Head to bed. My missus is sitting up with phone glow on her face. Asks me “Did you know the Avalanche won?” I love my wife.
875.gif

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad