GDT: Round 1 - Game 4: Flames @ Avalanche - Bury Them! - 8PM

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The future is now boys:

It must be really surreal for Cale.

Every place he has played so far, he has been far and away the best player on the ice. But now, he is actually getting to play with other really good players, and he doesn't have to carry the whole load on his shoulders. Makar to MacKinnon is awesome to watch.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yah...one way to bust the trap is to have a trap-busting defenseman or two...or three! I remember back in the days when everyone was in clog-it-up mode, a guy like Brian Leetch was absolutely golden.

I'd add Bednar made some adjustments to the forward lines that seemed to spark things up a bit.

Love, love, LOVE it when Bednar says eff you to convention, and plays a young player big minutes. He's done it with Z, he did it with Rants, Kerf, Girard, Compher, etc., and now he's doing that with Makar. That's the guy I know and like, I thought he had gone away this season, but I was wrong.

My God...that OT shift with him and MacKinnon in the attacking zone. It was like almost instant chemistry between the two. And I thought #29 and Barrie worked well together. Just...wow. Wait until Makar really gets his NHL bearings.

Anyway, I am absolutely exhausted at work today as the game didn't even start in my time zone until after 9pm, ended around 12, and then I proceeded to watch postgame stuff well beyond that. I quietly stumbled to bed around 3:15, was woken up before 7am because some utility workers had to fix a water main break, so me and the wife only had, like, 5 minutes of water, so we had to get ready for the day or else.

Anyhow, no worries...I am tired, but quite happy. :walrus:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Im still buzzed from last night. What a rollercoaster of emotions. People still want draft picks over playoffs?
I got so many people telling me that we need to be patient and play for the future, when I was saying we need to start getting actual results not moral victories. People told me how dumb I was etc. and that we need these top picks.

Yeah to that, I wouldn't trade the last 4 games for any top picks. They've been exciting for me as a fan and the players are learning far more from this than you ever do finishing in the cellar and drafting top 5.

This is how you build a contender, from actual experience, not compiling top picks every season.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It must be really surreal for Cale.

Every place he has played so far, he has been far and away the best player on the ice. But now, he is actually getting to play with other really good players, and he doesn't have to carry the whole load on his shoulders. Makar to MacKinnon is awesome to watch.

I was thinking about this last night. When was the last time Makar has played with a single forward who can not only keep up with him but has an elite skill set. He's probably looking at Nathan MacKinnon right now thinking 'holy shit I don't have to do everything'.

Love, love, LOVE it when Bednar says eff you to convention, and plays a young player big minutes. He's done it with Z, he did it with Rants, Kerf, Girard, Compher, etc., and now he's doing that with Makar. That's the guy I know and like, I thought he had gone away this season, but I was wrong.

I actually had to go back and check that it wasn't icing when they had Makar out there in OT on a defensive zone face off. It wasn't.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Also, I thought Z was an absolute monster last night. Guys are bailing on pucks and you can tell hes gotten to some of the Flames players. Backlund got railed hard twice by Z last night. Cole was also a beast up until his penalty which seems to be a formula for us winning in OT haha.

I've been very down on him this season but he has stepped up big time in the playoffs. The mere presence of him is throwing some Flames players off. The first game just felt like another regular season game but then Zadorov came out in the first 30 seconds of game two and let everyone know how it's going to be from now on. Avs took their game to another level and Tkachuk has been awfully quiet since then.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've been very down on him this season but he has stepped up big time in the playoffs. The mere presence of him is throwing some Flames players off. The first game just felt like another regular season game but then Zadorov came out in the first 30 seconds of game two and let everyone know how it's going to be from now on. Avs took their game to another level and Tkachuk has been awfully quiet since then.

Really hoping the way he set the tone in game 2 and has maintained that level...once again stepping up in the postseason...has endeared him to Joe and Nik doesn't come in with too high of demands this summer *prays*

Reactions: Avs_19

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It's tricky, because Makar is the one you want playing high, because he's better defensively.

You also want Makar to be the one pinching because he's likely better offensively.

We need 2 Makars lol

I don’t even think that will be an issue with Makar, with his speed he can pinch and get back no problem. Similarly to Girard and Z (which still surprises me with Z since he’s not the fastest skater :laugh: )

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I was thinking about this last night. When was the last time Makar has played with a single forward who can not only keep up with him but has an elite skill set. He's probably looking at Nathan MacKinnon right now thinking 'holy **** I don't have to do everything'.

I actually had to go back and check that it wasn't icing when they had Makar out there in OT on a defensive zone face off. It wasn't.
In game 3 in the first period the first time he made an outlet pass to MacK he hit him in stride and MacK took it no problem and made a nice entry into the zone with speed.

I was watching Makar the whole time and the body language was that of wow I just made a good pass that someone actually received well, this is going to be fun because now I don't have to worry about if my pass is going to be received.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Ah, good point. Have a BOLO out, in my head.

875.gif

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
In game 3 in the first period the first time he made an outlet pass to MacK he hit him in stride and MacK took it no problem and made a nice entry into the zone with speed.

I was watching Makar the whole time and the body language was that of wow I just made a good pass that someone actually received well, this is going to be fun because now I don't have to worry about if my pass is going to be received.

This is spot on.

I was actually saying this 2 years ago during the WJC's when Cale would be snapping passes all over the place and his teammates couldn't handle them. He ended up making much softer passes to accommodate. It won't be just passes either. He should be able to have more trust in his teammates to cover his rear end if he does make forays into the ozone and his teammates will trust in him too to find them and have the skills to dangle until they get open.

Exciting time to be an Av's fan. Future looks so bright. Who knows maybe even this year.

FYI - I am actually a Makar fan who is now becoming an AV's fan.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
What really impresses me about Makar is how aware he is of what is going on around him. You see it most when he is keeping play alive offensive pressure going. I have not noticed him in the defensive zone which is about the best thing you can say about a defenseman with only two games of experience.

Reactions: flyfysher

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Absolutely. The drastic increase in talent level, and the quicker pace of play, are both big reasons why Makar will be better in the NHL than the NCAA. He can finally utilize all his tools properly, and has a system and coach that encourages him to play to his strengths. Though Carvel did this year as well.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Someone on NHL Radio said one thing that may have left TB exposed a bit is that they never really had to face any adversity during the regular season. Even when guys like Hedman and Vasilevskiy missed time, they kept on winning. Don't know how much of that plays a part, but if it is indeed a thing, the Avs have definitely faced their fair share of adversity this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Someone on NHL Radio said one thing that may have left TB exposed a bit is that they never really had to face any adversity during the regular season. Even when guys like Hedman and Vasilevskiy missed time, they kept on winning. Don't know how much of that plays a part, but if it is indeed a thing, the Avs have definitely faced their fair share of adversity this season.
I think that definitely plays a role in both teams playoff series. The Bolts hadn't been punched in the nose like they got in game 1 all season, and they never recovered from it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I got so many people telling me that we need to be patient and play for the future, when I was saying we need to start getting actual results not moral victories. People told me how dumb I was etc. and that we need these top picks.

Yeah to that, I wouldn't trade the last 4 games for any top picks. They've been exciting for me as a fan and the players are learning far more from this than you ever do finishing in the cellar and drafting top 5.

This is how you build a contender, from actual experience, not compiling top picks every season.

I honestly think there's a very large contingent that believes you can just go from lottery bait to contender, like the switch can just get flipped and you suddenly have this great team. And I don't think it's just limited to fans--the Sabres under Murray had to think they could go from a team stripped down to absolutely NOTHING to competitive with Connor McDavid and a few key free agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad